[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - The Death of Bloomba

The Death of Bloomba

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

The Death of Bloomba

Postby tribble » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:16 am

Don't know if you heard, but Yahoo purchased Stata Labs, the maker of Bloomba email and SAProxy for spam.

One less competitor to worry about :-)
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:54 am

I see it the other way. The more competitors the better. :)
(for both competition pressure and inspiration reasons...)
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby nasa » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:39 am

so... this has a reason i think.

bloomba has great search cababilities - the BEST i have seen in a mail client.
it´s search is really simple and fast.

so.. i think yahoo is searching for something to compete against the growing gmail services from google.

i think they will integrate the knowledge of statalabs into their webclients or something similar.

nasa
nasa
New Arrival

Postby COD » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:53 am

Doesn't Bloomba have desktop search capability too? I think this is Yahoo's response to the Google desktop search tool.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby Alycat » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:12 pm

Not that I was aware of, I purchased Bloomba and used it for quite a while, but I had given up on it before it was taken over. Support was pretty good (I know, I posted more than a few problems :lol: ).

I have purchased copies of Bloomba, The Bat, Eudora and have used a few others, like Thunderbird.
Alycat
Frequent Visitor

We were Bloomba resellers

Postby hostricity » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:04 pm

Bloomba was developing into a great mail client because of it excellent integration with SA-Proxy Pro (spam assassin) and because of its search capabilities.

There were two things about the search that were really great: It was fast and it would search attachments.

Another thing about Bloomba was that it allowed you to use the email client as permanent storage for email. In our business, that is really important because we need to easily access email that may be several years old when dealing with customer issues.

Yahoo purchased it for the search capabilities and shutdown the product. It will be around for quite a while though. I predict that you'll start seeing downloads with license keys popping up for download. It's sufficiently mature that it will be useful for at least a couple of years.

I'm still using Bloomba now and am looking for a replacement to resell and for our own use internally. That's how I came across Barca.
hostricity
Drop-in Visitor

Return to General Discussion