[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Which is better Poco or Barca ?

Which is better Poco or Barca ?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Which is better Poco or Barca ?

Postby ankupan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:24 pm

Hi,
Which is better choice [Pocomail or Barca ? regarding stability]
or both are same, or just Barca is havig some extra features.

I am missing today page in Pocomail.
ankupan
Resident Poster

Postby robin » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:43 pm

If all you want is e-mail then PocoMail is better. If you want the features in Barca then Barca is better. It really is that simple.
robin

Postby steve » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:55 pm

There is also the memory element to consider. If, like me, you keep your MAil Client active but minimised whilst working, Poco will consume between 6.5 and 7 MB of memory. Barca will use about twice that.

I use Poco most of the time, but do occasionally switch to Barca (I have them set to share the various directories so both apps show all the current data). Whilst the memory usage may appear fairly high, it's a lot less than is required by Outlook which, apart from the ability to synchronise with my PocketPC, doesn't provide any facilities I need that Barca doesn't have.

Whichever one you use, you're using one of the best mail clients around!

Edit: deleted double post by Eric
Stephen Lee-Woolf
steve
Drop-in Visitor

Postby COD » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:28 am

If your system is so starved for memory that 7 MB will make a noticeable difference, you may need to put the $30 towards RAM, not Poco or Barca!

And if you can't do that - Pine may be mail program for you :)
COD
Resident Poster

Postby vamp07 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:56 am

I did not know they could share the same message store. Cool!!! Does Poco have any email features that are not in Barca?

steve wrote:There is also the memory element to consider. If, like me, you keep your MAil Client active but minimised whilst working, Poco will consume between 6.5 and 7 MB of memory. Barca will use about twice that.

I use Poco most of the time, but do occasionally switch to Barca (I have them set to share the various directories so both apps show all the current data). Whilst the memory usage may appear fairly high, it's a lot less than is required by Outlook which, apart from the ability to synchronise with my PocketPC, doesn't provide any facilities I need that Barca doesn't have.

Whichever one you use, you're using one of the best mail clients around!

Edit: deleted double post by Eric
vamp07
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:50 am

vamp07 wrote:I did not know they could share the same message store. Cool!!!
I do it all the time; I installed Barca, then installed PocoMail (separately) and copied the PM executable and .ini file into the Barca directory.

Works a treat!

This might not work for everyone, it depends on how you set it up - my family use PocoMail too, but their installation is into the default PocoMail directory. PocoMail can only keep one installation location (for double-clicking .eml files for example).

Filters info is held in filters.ini; accounts info in accounts.ini so you don't need to recreate anything - one picks up what the other left.

I'm trying to pluck up the courage to move everything over so that my Poco account is a "user" of the family's Poco installation but with Barca installed as well to always use my files.

Hmmm :?

Does Poco have any email features that are not in Barca?
No.
robin

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:54 pm

vamp07 wrote:I did not know they could share the same message store. Cool!!! Does Poco have any email features that are not in Barca?

No, both are built using the same code base. New Poco releases usually come out before new Barca ones but I suspect the delay between releases won't be large once the Barca feature set has matured (Barca is only on release 1.1 while Poco is at 3.2 so you can see Poco's been around quite a bit longer than Barca).
Michael

Postby ankupan » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:56 pm

but what about stability ?
I never got any error in Pocomail in 3.2
But barca 1.1 is starting with error.

Pocomail is missing "today" page.
ankupan
Resident Poster

Postby steve » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:25 pm

COD - memory isn't an issue for me, my system currently has 2GB, but in the real world there are a lot of people running old kit that has limited memory and processing power. To them the memory issue may be very relevant. The question was 'Which is better' and to answer that you need to know all the facts. You'll notice that I also said that Poco and Barca were two of the best systems around, and, if I were memory starved, Poco would be one of the last apps closed down to preserve it.

Robin - I keep Poco and Barca installed in separate directories, mainly for neatness, and have a separate directory structure called 'PocoData' into which I have moved the appropriate directories (Mail, attachments etc). It's then a simple matter of changing the locations of the various directories in each app to point to the same place. Makes live very easy for program updates, and I can choose whichever system I need at any time.
Stephen Lee-Woolf
steve
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:09 am

Steve wrote:Robin - I keep Poco and Barca installed in separate directories, mainly for neatness, and have a separate directory structure called 'PocoData' into which I have moved the appropriate directories (Mail, attachments etc). It's then a simple matter of changing the locations of the various directories in each app to point to the same place. Makes live very easy for program updates, and I can choose whichever system I need at any time.
I can see how that would work, but with the executables in the same folder, I don't need to even think about changing the locations: start Poco from there and it finds everything, start Barca from the it also finds everything.

ankupan wrote:Pocomail is missing "today" page.
PocoMail has no need of a Today page because it has nothing to show in it. Barca shows the Today page in order to show the appointments, tasks etc that appear on that day. I cannot understand why you want to see the Today page in PocoMail.
robin

Postby ankupan » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:24 pm

I faced "today" problem.
When some one is sitting near to us, and I don't want to show my inbox, than Today page is really helpful, we can keep it.
in Poco, today page can show only few things like Name, Date, Which folders has how amny emails like this basic information.
But its useful to us.

robin wrote:
ankupan wrote:Pocomail is missing "today" page.
PocoMail has no need of a Today page because it has nothing to show in it. Barca shows the Today page in order to show the appointments, tasks etc that appear on that day. I cannot understand why you want to see the Today page in PocoMail.
ankupan
Resident Poster

Postby robin » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:55 pm

Ah, why didn't you say so?

PocoMail has a "privacy sheet". Goto Tools -> Options -> Privacy and Security. At the bottom is an option called "Show the Privacy Sheet". Check this and then OK. When you press Ctrl-F12, then PM will bring up a blank sheet with a clock on it which can also be password protected as well. I assume that this works in PE too.
robin

Postby steve » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:26 pm

Robin - I take your point, but under my system the only thing that needs to maintained separately is the account details. This is really no big deal as, once set up, they hardly ever change. I guess it's 'Horses for Courses'.
Stephen Lee-Woolf
steve
Drop-in Visitor

Postby janrif » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:10 am

robin wrote: I installed Barca, then installed PocoMail (separately) and copied the PM executable and .ini file into the Barca directory.

What do you do about filters, scripts, etc?
janrif
Ridgefield, CT USA
w2k-sp4
janrif
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:13 am

janrif wrote:What do you do about filters, scripts, etc?
They are identical. :)
Eric

Next

Return to General Discussion