[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Update to forum and website troubles

Update to forum and website troubles

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Slaven » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:44 am

This is the main support page. It should have links to the helpdesk, FAQ, tutorials, and something explaining paid support.

:D
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby paulheu » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:28 am

Michael, I suggest you make sure you know what you are writing is correct before you make claims like you do:

SMF does not use banners. It is FREE software without restrictions. You can pay a $50/year subscription to the special support areas, advanced betas and more good stuff, you also help develop what is IMO a very good piece of programming, in any case way better as phpBB or even some expensive commercial offerings.

You're saying Barca is too much a risk to rely on for your mail as it's only at v1?

SMF has been in development for a long time, based on a solid codebase and is very stable, very usable, very flexible and most definitely not 'your average' v1.0 software.

And yes I do agree the notice on the support page is a bit silly, but the support through the forum is very good and serious..
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:42 pm

paulheu wrote:Michael, I suggest you make sure you know what you are writing is correct before you make claims like you do:

SMF does not use banners.

I took this by looking at the banner on their website, it says:
What kind of sponsorship interests you?

* banner advertisement
* donations and sponsorship

This suggests banner advertisinig to me. Going into this link I read:
How can you support Simple Machines?
Banner Advertising: Details and Pricing

Banner advertisements, the more popular of Simple Machines' two forms of sponsorship

Going into the "Donations and Sponsorship" link I see:
For some, banner advertising just isn't a realistic option; it may require too much of your time, or perhaps you don't have a business or server you want to advertise. In situations like this, we accept donations through our PayPal account.

While the Banner ads aren't for Simple Machines they still rely on the business putting up banner ads and paying by the number of "impressions".

As to your comments regarding Barca, it is based on PocoMail which is a mature product. PSI have simply extended the application by adding PIM functionality such as calendaring, tasks, etc. Maybe I should turn your "I suggest you make sure you know what you are writing is correct before you make claims like you do" suggestion back on you?
Michael

Postby paulheu » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:59 am

maybe.. but all you are referring to is ways to get teh extra support and pre-release of new developments..

The software is free and comes without banners, the need to add them or other 'hidden' features..

But enough of this.. whether or not PSI would consider using SMF is upto them.. I would hope they did as SMF kicks phpBB's butt..
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Postby CellarDweller » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:39 am

I recommend vBulletin if you're looking for something that has proven itself. vBulletin is MySQL/PHP based, and is very, very good. I'm an admin at two vBulletin communities, and the software is easy to use, very stable, extremely customizable, and packed full of features. The support is excellent as well. I don't mean to sound like an infomercial, but you really should check it out.
CellarDweller
Poco Tourist

Previous

Return to General Discussion