[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Update to forum and website troubles

Update to forum and website troubles

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Update to forum and website troubles

Postby Slaven » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:27 pm

We apologize for the down-time, we had more trouble on our hands than initially thought. The main culprit was the DNS changeover that happened late last week. Normally, things should have gone smoothly but due to some bad luck our forums were attacked the exact same day, a few hours after we started the DNS change (a lot of PHPBB communities have been hit as a recent vulnerability was discovered in version 2.0.10). A series of efforts failed to completely correct the problems and left residual problems on the forum. This was finally addressed and our server is now running off a new IP, completely reconfigured. This is the short version of events, of course! :)

If you notice any remaining issues, please let us know, via email or by replying to this thread. We hope to have everything running smoothly as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your patience! :)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Pete » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:45 pm

I just logged in and out and the forum seems to be working well again. :)
Pete

Postby waynedunham » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:10 am

Why no link from the main page to the Forums section?

Took me a few minutes to find an old bookmark to the forums front page in my browser since I couldn't find a way to get here from the PocoSystems page that comes up when you click on the website entry in the help menu of Poco or PocomailPe.
Wayne Dunham
waynedunham
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Slaven » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:29 am

The site is being revised and the link was moved a couple of weeks ago under Support section. We are going to add it back to the right-hand menu as other people complained as well (though as a submenu to support).
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby waynedunham » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:44 am

Not sure where it's hiding right now. I'm using FireFox and on the left menu under support (at Pocosystems.com) I see:

FAQ
Barca
PocoMail
PocoMail PE
Email Voyager
NOTE: these same entries show up on the right when I click on support along with the entry count for each)

No sign of Forums anywhere even if I click on one of the options (Faq, Barca, etc). I'm assuming by "right menu" you mean what shows up on the right side of the screen when you select something from the menu on the left?

Anyway, at least as of 12/14/2004 at 1:45pm eastern US time there isn't any forum link that I can find anywhere.
Wayne Dunham
waynedunham
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Pete » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:52 am

It's there. :)
Go to the first support page and look for the second-to-the-last paragraph: "For more information and assistance you can also visit our forums, available any time." Hold your mouse over the phrase "visit our forums" and you should see the link.

Until they update the forums, you can think of it as a kind of adventure game. :wink:
Pete

Postby waynedunham » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:48 am

Dooooh!! :? You're right, it was there. The color for visited links in my browser just wasn't different enough from the regular text to stand out enough to see easily.
Wayne Dunham
waynedunham
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Alycat » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:51 am

Yep, same here, I actually found it originally using a Google search, took me ages to find it on the website, even after reading about where it was :?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can convert 2 and 3/4 to binary and those who can't.
Alycat
Frequent Visitor

Postby paulheu » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:20 am

So with phpBB being vunerable, partially because it's in sidespread use, why not consider switching to a (IMO) more solid and at least much more flexible forum like SMF
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Postby Jose » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:14 pm

Regarding, SMF.... I'm currently using SMF at Spanish forums with success. :wink:
Jose

Postby Slaven » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:41 pm

That's definitely not out of the question, especially since this is not the first or last time PHPBB was hacked. One problem is preserving the history of the posts and the user database, as our forums quickly gather a lot of useful information. Also, we'd have to look at what advantages and disadvantages the new platform would provide for our users?
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby paulheu » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:40 pm

There is a phpBB to SMF converter which work very well and afaik does a complete conversion. You'd have to check the SMF forum to get more information..

Feature wise I think SMF is ways ahead of phpBB, not that that is too difficult in the first place.. :lol:
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Postby Hogyt » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:23 pm

There's no need to change, the bug in phpBB was announced a month ago, along with an urgent notice to upgrade over a week ago. Slaven, if you're not already, you can monitor the releases on the sourceforge site so you get email notification as soon as an update is available and this forum will be nice and secure :)
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Alycat » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:31 pm

Tonight, we downloaded SMF, just set up a new SMF forum, then copied across all our users, posts, etc, etc, took about 25 minutes --- all automatic...tough life :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can convert 2 and 3/4 to binary and those who can't.
Alycat
Frequent Visitor

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:28 am

I think SMF is far too new to risk putting the forums up on. I see they are only at release 1.0 and the product relies on either banner ads or donations. As such I suspect this is a product that may either fail or change policies such that PSI would be required to buy licenses to operate the forums.

One key thing to look for if SMF is considered is whether or not an exit strategy exists. Should SMF prove to be unworkable how does PSI move to another forum software solution preserving the users and posts already accumulated?

Another example of how new the product is can be found on their "Support" page which says:
This is the main support page. It should have links to the helpdesk, FAQ, tutorials, and something explaining paid support.
Michael

Next

Return to General Discussion