[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - RSS feeds

RSS feeds

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

RSS feeds

Postby RoyalMail » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:02 pm

Any chance of making these forum posts available as an RSS feed?

Regds, RM.
RoyalMail
Drop-in Visitor

Re: RSS feeds

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:07 am

RoyalMail wrote:Any chance of making these forum posts available as an RSS feed?
Have a look at this topic. :wink:
Eric

Postby RoyalMail » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:17 am

Eric wrote:
RoyalMail wrote:Any chance of making these forum posts available as an RSS feed?
Have a look at this topic. :wink:

Well that topic is six months old!!!

Maybe things have advanced a bit since then?

Regds, RM.
RoyalMail
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:58 am

RoyalMail wrote:Well that topic is six months old!!!
I know it's 6 months old, but it all depends on the priorities set by PSI and I think RSS feed is set on a low priority with all the work going into betas and other stuff. :wink:
Eric

Postby Tomas » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:09 am

Oh well, I added it as a request to bugtraction few days ago, as I was browsing it and suddenly remembered it was discussed/requested long time ago, not speaking about the time it would save us.

http://www.pocosystems.com/cgi-bin/bt/b ... ug_id=1223
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Slaven » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:19 am

One problem is that it may slow down regular updates to the forum itself, since as far as I understand each forum update would break any installed extensions. I may be wrong though...
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby RoyalMail » Sat May 28, 2005 9:16 am

No sign of any RSS feeds yet!
RoyalMail
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sun May 29, 2005 6:45 am

I think it's clear from the above post from Slaven - most phpBB addons break into existing board code. It means that as soon as the next phpBB update is released (which is quite often...), PSI would have to go and manually re-install all the previously installed modifications, RSS mod in this case. It could perhaps also happen that the modification will not work with the newer phpBB system (though rare probably)....

Too bad phpBB didn't make RSS as a standard feature.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby RoyalMail » Sun May 29, 2005 8:42 am

I'm not sure I understood that excuse, it sounded like a typical handwaving engineering reason why a product couldn't be made to satisfy user needs, but had to be what the engineers wanted.

Many of these forum systems provide RSS feeds (EverNote is a good example) so it's not impossible, or even difficult!

And Scoble says it's the way forward for marketing!

Regards, RM.
RoyalMail
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sun May 29, 2005 9:04 am

That technical part of the problem mentioned above was one of the reasons that I didn't go with phpBB for the forums that I am running, but opted for another forum software instead. So I can see what Slaven wants to avoid.

I am not sure whether Scoble had RSS feeds from forums on mind, I would think that he had more likely general rss feeds on mind (though I can be wrong).

One thing is for sure, RSS (when it comes to forums) is big timesaver and big comfort for users. I was going to write text about saving time on the internet and RSS is one of the best things in that respect.

There is a price to pay for having RSS and the only question is whether PSI will consider it low or big for the benefit of RSS for the users.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Slaven » Mon May 30, 2005 7:16 am

I'm not sure I understood that excuse, it sounded like a typical handwaving engineering reason why a product couldn't be made to satisfy user needs, but had to be what the engineers wanted.

I think I was quite clear in my post, our forums were attacked in the past and our primary reason for being here is not to make forums easier to use, but to make PocoMail and Barca easier to use. Adding an RSS feed would be useful, but if that means potentially crippling the forums as a whole in the future then that doesn't help most of the people visiting these forums.

Scoble has his agenda, we have ours and that is our product line! :)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby RoyalMail » Mon May 30, 2005 10:17 am

'Slaven'; you say that your agenda is to make great product. Fine, but what are you doing here? Presumably you regard it as part of your job to help PSI customers with their problems, yes? And part of that is to deal with their problems in an efficient and effective way, yes? In fact part of your job is to work out ways of making these forums effective. And one of the best ways would be to broadcast what's being discussed on a RSS feed!

Now as to Thomas' point, I'm not sure if you know much about these forums and the software that drives them Thomas, but it's probably more than I do so I'm not going to argue any technical points. BUT a quick look at the index page shows the number of posts to all the forums is of the order of 5-10 per day. So how about putting a RSS/XML page together by hand for a while and checking you much traffic it generates? How hard can it be? It shouldn't take young Slaven more than half an hour or so per day to do that and look how impressed his manager will be! And Thomas won't have to worry about the forum software at all. If it's a success Slaven can convince his manager to schedule modifications to the software to automate the process.

Customers happy, PSI happy - result all round!

Now I'm going to shut up because if PSI can't recognise a good idea on a plate, I give up!

Regds, RM.
RoyalMail
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Slaven » Mon May 30, 2005 12:24 pm

RoyalMail wrote:'Slaven'

It is my name, honest! :)

RoyalMail wrote: you say that your agenda is to make great product. Fine, but what are you doing here? Presumably you regard it as part of your job to help PSI customers with their problems, yes? And part of that is to deal with their problems in an efficient and effective way, yes? In fact part of your job is to work out ways of making these forums effective. And one of the best ways would be to broadcast what's being discussed on a RSS feed!

Imagine this: we implement RSS, we fall behind on updates to our server due to the custom extension to our forum software that is not updated (and once you provide a service like RSS good luck trying to take it away! :) ). We get hacked a week later and all the user accounts are compromised and data lost or corrupt (backups can help but they can be dangerous if you don't know specific time you were attacked). Is that risk worth having an RSS feed?

RoyalMail wrote:BUT a quick look at the index page shows the number of posts to all the forums is of the order of 5-10 per day. So how about putting a RSS/XML page together by hand for a while and checking you much traffic it generates? How hard can it be? It shouldn't take young Slaven more than half an hour or so per day to do that and look how impressed his manager will be!

That gave me quite a chuckle, I'm sure regulars would know why!

That time investment into a manual RSS feed would directly translate into our next product updates coming weeks later than they would otherwise. I could put a poll of what people would prefer to see us spend our time on, but I am pretty certain they'd like to see PocoMail 4 come not a day later than necessary.

Again, don't get me wrong - we want to have an RSS feed, at the moment we just don't have the resources to put it up safely. Things may change with the next version of PHPBB, which we use for these forums.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:05 am

GOD00007 - I've moved your previous post here, since it's not related to this topic. :wink:
Eric

Return to General Discussion