[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Are Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Are Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Re: Are Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Postby DianaZ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:15 am

Super, Mal!! Vielen Dank! I had checked everything under the sun - I though. Must have missed that one somehow.
That explains why the error only appeared occasionally, Poco only checked every 30 days. But it only started a couple of months ago so up to then, the check site must have been available. I remember seeing the quick messsage about no new version being found.

Viele Grüße back
Diana in Germany
DianaZ
Drop-in Visitor

Postby tribble » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 am

Amazing! For some strange reason, I just decided to pop in to see if there were any new news but lo and behold, the forum is back!

I don't use Poco/Barca any more, I made the switch to Apple some time ago and never looked back at Windows. I always held out hope for an Apple version of Barca though...

It's good to see some of my old friends still hanging around. I too am one of those Version 1.0 users ;-)

Take care all, until I checkin again ;-)

Gene
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby tonnelier » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm still using Pocomail, but also have Thunderbird as a "backup" for mail that does not display correctly in Poco. I need a client that has automatic language recognition (as-you-type) and Thunderbird was the only one I found where you can set up this feature with the app Smart Dictionary Switcher.
tonnelier
Frequent Visitor

Postby DianaZ » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:28 am

> have Thunderbird as a "backup" for mail that does not display correctly in Poco

How do you do that when you don't know what mail doesn't correctly display until Poco has downloaded it?

I suppose you could copy it to Send in Poco and resend it after setting T'bird to pick it up...

I occasionally get email that doesn't display at all but (sometimes) the text is displayed in the reply to window correctly. Very strange.

Then there are emails with German special characters (umlaut for example) that are displayed as ? in Poco. Or emails with an extra ? whenever a character return occurs.
Diana in Germany
DianaZ
Drop-in Visitor

Postby tonnelier » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:19 pm

DianaZ wrote:> have Thunderbird as a "backup" for mail that does not display correctly in Poco

How do you do that when you don't know what mail doesn't correctly display until Poco has downloaded it?

I suppose you could copy it to Send in Poco and resend it after setting T'bird to pick it up...

I occasionally get email that doesn't display at all but (sometimes) the text is displayed in the reply to window correctly. Very strange.

Then there are emails with German special characters (umlaut for example) that are displayed as ? in Poco. Or emails with an extra ? whenever a character return occurs.

I leave my mail on the server. Go to Accounts Setup>Incoming mail>check "leave mail on the server". If then something doesn't display correctly, I just download it in Thunderbird.

I downloaded DE/FR/IT disctionaries (http://www.addictivesoftware.com/addict ... extern.htm) to Poco and have had no trouble with special characters in these languages.

Hope this helps you Diana
Grüsse
tonnelier
tonnelier
Frequent Visitor

Postby DianaZ » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:32 am

> leave my mail on the server. Go to Accounts Setup>Incoming mail>check "leave mail on the server". If then something doesn't display correctly, I just download it in Thunderbird.

Thanks, tonnelier, I thought of that. But since I so rarely get an email that Poco can't display, I'd have to remember to delete all the "okay" emails from the mail server. Strange is that mail from one user can be read by Poco 99% of the time then suddenly there's that odd mail that can't be displayed. I find no rhyme or reason, the person claims he does nothing different.

Your idea is good to keep in mind though in case the problem starts occurring more frequently.

> downloaded DE/FR/IT disctionaries

I've had the German dictionary installed in Poco forever and, as I wrote, most of the time the special characters display w/o any problem. It's only been recently that email from some users has these oddball ? (question marks) or occasionally a combination of letters instead of a special character. And then there's the problem of the very occasion email that doesn't display at all. Plain white page *but* very often I *can* see the message in the reply to window in Poco. So I always try CTRL-R before giving up on those emails.

I was able to trace the problem from one friend to something in web.de - when she replies to email, no problem. When she started a new mail, strange ? showed up. OTOH she's not very computer savvy so maybe there's a setting in the web.de window in her browser that would solve the problem... Dunno, I've never done email with a browser.
Diana in Germany
DianaZ
Drop-in Visitor

Postby NZRussell » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Still checking back every so often and it's great to see some are keeping the faith with Poco and Barca. I still use both, Poco for personal and Barca for business. Good to see life on the boards too.
NZRussell
Poco Tourist

Postby MAL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:46 pm

Hahaha, I only just checked back. Glad it worked for you, DianaZ....only took me a half year to see your reply! :)

We are really the die-hard Pocomail fans....even with its limitations, I never found an equal, and still use it as my only email client.

:wink:
MAL
Drop-in Visitor

Postby jbuk » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:33 pm

DianaZ wrote:> leave my mail on the server. Go to Accounts Setup>Incoming mail>check "leave mail on the server". If then something doesn't display correctly, I just download it in Thunderbird.

Thanks, tonnelier, I thought of that. But since I so rarely get an email that Poco can't display, I'd have to remember to delete all the "okay" emails from the mail server. Strange is that mail from one user can be read by Poco 99% of the time then suddenly there's that odd mail that can't be displayed. I find no rhyme or reason, the person claims he does nothing different.

Your idea is good to keep in mind though in case the problem starts occurring more frequently.

> downloaded DE/FR/IT disctionaries

I've had the German dictionary installed in Poco forever and, as I wrote, most of the time the special characters display w/o any problem. It's only been recently that email from some users has these oddball ? (question marks) or occasionally a combination of letters instead of a special character. And then there's the problem of the very occasion email that doesn't display at all. Plain white page *but* very often I *can* see the message in the reply to window in Poco. So I always try CTRL-R before giving up on those emails.

On the subject of those blank emails I have two (at least) solutions.
Right click and display in browser always works and then there is one sender whose emails are always blank. However when I 'sanitize html' they show up normally so I have set a filter to sanitize mails from this sender to solve at least this one problem.

I am still looking for a replacement, tried Thunderbird and now looking at eMclient but I have many accounts and have not yet bitten the bullet to purchase it for multiple client use.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby DianaZ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:13 am

> Right click and display in browser always works and then there is one sender whose emails are always blank. However when I 'sanitize html' they show up normally so I have set a filter to sanitize mails from this sender to solve at least this one problem.

Good to know! I had to search to find sanitize html but I'll keep both ideas in mind. Haven't gotten any blank emails in a long time now so it might be a while before I can test your ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Diana in Germany
DianaZ
Drop-in Visitor

Previous

Return to General Discussion