[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Emoticons divided into folders

Emoticons divided into folders

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Emoticons divided into folders

Postby Pete » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:46 am

I'm considering adding an enhancement request to Bug Traction to allow us to divide emoticons into folders.

Why? In addition to the standard emoticons that ship with PocoMail, I've added dozens of animated GIFs to the emoticons folder on my mom's computer that are specific to holidays throughout the year. Currently, she must scroll through many different images before she finds the one that she wants.

I'm thinking that if we could add subfolders to PocoMail's standard emoticons folder (using Windows Explorer), then when we click on the smiley face in PocoMail's composition window we would only see the images for the currently selected folder along with a list of subfolders. If we clicked on a subfolder, then we would see only those images.

I'm not going to bother adding the enhancement request unless other people want this too.
Pete

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:36 am

That makes a lot of sense.
Either subfolders, or tabs.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby jaxgtr » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:24 pm

While I am not a huge user of the emoticons, I know alot of people that do. This would probably be a nice enhancement.

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby tribble » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:53 pm

Well, you CAN put them in folders. It's just not clear in WHAT folder an icon is actually in.

If I put half my emoticons in folder A, and the other half in folder B, all icons show up with a straight line separating folder A from folder B. I just have no way of knowing which folder is which...

Both folder A and B are in a sub-folder to the Emoticons folder.
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:39 pm

Good catch, I didn't notice that before, as I only tested with one folder (ie. emoticons in main folder, plus one subfolder), and there was absolutely no separation visible. Now with more subfolders, some separation lines do appear, though still not for all of them.

So the solution would be to move everything out of main folder, and keep everything in subfolders, then the separation line is still visible.

It helps, but still far from the comfort of having it separated by folders or tabs, because now you have to scroll down through all that, and I can imagine there are some who have hundreds of emoticons.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby ferent » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:59 am

HEY!! I didn´t know that!! Congratulations, every day I discover a surprise in Barca!!

Could you give a web to download beautiful icons?, I only know Icon-factory
Alfredo Fernandez
ferent
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:33 am

Just google for "smiley icon free download" or similar phrase, there are plenty of them out there.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Slaven » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:15 am

I hope Eric won't mind me spilling his secrets:

http://dozleng.com/emoticons/

:)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Eric » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:03 am

Tomas wrote:Just google for "smiley icon free download" or similar phrase, there are plenty of them out there.
Be careful where you go too. You don't want to have a drive-by-download or something else on some of these sites. :evil:
Slaven wrote:I hope Eric won't mind me spilling his secrets:
I don't mind Slaven. :lol:
Here are some more (= safe): Animated
http://www.gifs.net/animate/giflist.htm
http://www.gifanimations.com/index.jsp
http://www.kitchen-wars.net/pages/main.htm

Enjoy. :wink:
Eric

Postby Jose » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:33 am

Good point, Pete!

IMHO, your suggestion to add it as enhancement makes a lot of sense.
Jose

Postby bern » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:38 am

I put my emoticons in sub folders under the emoticon folder but I only see the emoticons in the main folder. Anything else to be done to see the sub-folder5 emoticons?

This occurs when I create a new message and I click on the emoticon icon.
bern

Postby tribble » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:40 am

Nope, nothing I'm aware of. I just create sub-folders and throw the icons in there...
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Pete » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:33 pm

I also could not make this work with subfolders as advertised.

In any case, having horizontal lines between groups of emoticons would not solve the problem of having to scroll through dozens of them. In fact, it would apparently require more scrolling than before.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Based on the comment in this month's PocoReport newsletter, I suspect that PSI does not like the idea very much.

I'll probably add this request to BT anyway. I've hesitated so far because many of the comments in this topic seem to be "it sounds like a good idea". What I was hoping for is for someone else to post who actually has many images in the Emoticons folder like I do (I currently have 142 images, and plan to add a lot more in the future).
Pete

Postby tribble » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:39 pm

Well Pete, I would LOVE to have something better to categorize my icons with. The current implemenation IS very limiting. I was just pointing out that folders are usable (for most of us anyway :-)

I have over 200 icons, my girlfriends daughter loves when I send a message with lots of icons...
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Slaven » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:12 pm

Pete, I'm with tribble - your suggestion is good, we just included in the newsletter as many people don't realize it's there! It doesn't mean we're down on the idea of how to improve it. :)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Next

Return to General Discussion