[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco Forum Searches...can't figure this out..

Poco Forum Searches...can't figure this out..

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco Forum Searches...can't figure this out..

Postby todmunpla » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:58 am

When I search these forums and get results, after I read one message, I'm forced back to the search page. How do I fix this so I can read all the results without doing a search every time? This has to be a dead horse by now, but I can't help but beat it.. :evil:
Steve
todmunpla
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Poco Forum Searches...can't figure this out..

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:13 am

Hi Steve,
todmunpla wrote:How do I fix this so I can read all the results without doing a search every time? This has to be a dead horse by now, but I can't help but beat it.. :evil:
I don't know if it can help, but I think it's related to IE.
It asks me everytime to renew the page, when returning to the Search resuls. :?

At home I use Opera or Firefox, but I never have to renew the page when returning to the Search results. :)

As for a fix I would suggest using another browser, other then IE. :wink:
Eric

Another IE downside..

Postby todmunpla » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:49 pm

Actually, I'm using Avant, but it uses the IE engine. I guess I'll have to have a Standby Browser for searches like this. Who knows, I might just end up switching..

Thanks for the reply!

steve
Steve
todmunpla
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Another IE downside..

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:52 pm

todmunpla wrote:Who knows, I might just end up switching..
Thanks for the reply!
You're welcome. :wink:
According to Secunia Opera is the most secure browser (the least vulnerable and free, but with ads).
My Opera is however registered, so no ads, and you'll certainly like version 8 when it comes out. I'm running the beta for the moment.
Firefox is a nice one too with lots of extensions.
Try them out to see which one you like most. :)
Eric

Postby speerga » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:27 am

Eric wrote:According to Secunia Opera is the most secure browser (the least vulnerable and free, but with ads).
My Opera is however registered, so no ads, and you'll certainly like version 8 when it comes out. I'm running the beta for the moment.
Firefox is a nice one too with lots of extensions.
Try them out to see which one you like most. :)

Opera is the little browser I really want to love -- but can't quite get the hang of it.

I downloaded and installed Opera 8 beta 3 last week and it's pretty nice. Only problem is, within 10 minutes after I downloaded it, I went to some site (I forget where) through a link from a web page -- and instead of getting the page from the link, I got some sort of error message telling me I needed to upgrade to a better or more compatible browser. What's with that??

Plus, I've used Firefox a lot in the past, but it too has issues rendering some pages.

I know a lot of this is related to web standards, etc. Point is, IE seems to be so web compliant, and to also handle pages that are not truly up to par.

(BTW -- I use Avant as my default browser, too, and experience the same need to renew the search page each time I try a link. So what I do is right-click on a search result and choose "Open in new Window" so I can then go back to the search results.)

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Pete » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:19 am

I switched to Firefox about the same time that Poco Systems switched to these new forums. Coincidence? No. :)

Of course I was glad to switch for other reasons too. However there are two things that annoy me about Firefox:

1) When I click on links in PocoMail, Firefox doesn't grab the focus so I must then click in Firefox before I can scroll downward. In a related complaint, when I load a website that has frames (with or without PocoMail), I often must click in the correct (main) frame first before I can scroll.

2) Also, when typing in text fields like this one (to submit posts to forums), the cursor overlaps part of the character that's on the left side of the cursor. One trick that I've discovered that makes this better is to press the Escape key. This stops the animations of the emoticons on the left side. This helps with this problem.
Pete

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:19 am

speerga wrote:Opera is the little browser I really want to love -- but can't quite get the hang of it.
As you know I've been using it quite some time now, so I don't have any problems working with it.
Once you know how, you'll appreciate it even more. :)
I went to some site (I forget where) through a link from a web page -- and instead of getting the page from the link, I got some sort of error message telling me I needed to upgrade to a better or more compatible browser. What's with that??
You can always get this problem, because some websites only accept IE. Pity for them, because I won't use IE to see it. You never know for sure what you're going to get. Just call me a bit too overcautious. :lol:
Plus, I've used Firefox a lot in the past, but it too has issues rendering some pages.
Try out version 1.0.2, it should be a lot better and it's a release version. 8)
I know a lot of this is related to web standards, etc. Point is, IE seems to be so web compliant, and to also handle pages that are not truly up to par.
True, as well as some sites only accepting IE, like my wife's bank. :evil:
(BTW -- I use Avant as my default browser, too, and experience the same need to renew the search page each time I try a link. So what I do is right-click on a search result and choose "Open in new Window" so I can then go back to the search results.)
Avant is a nice browser and so is Maxthon and many other IE shells. If configured properly these are more secure then IE.

For me unknown sites are accessed by Opera, known sites by Firefox.
Better safe then sorry Gary. :wink:
Last edited by Eric on Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby Pete » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:43 am

p.s. That was weird, Eric. I guess that this forum software submitted your post twice because we both submitted our posts at exactly the same time. It seems like a weakness with this forum software. I remember that I recently had to delete an extra post from someone else. I assumed that the poster posted it twice, but it was probably the fault of the forum software.
Pete

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:13 am

Pete wrote:p.s. That was weird, Eric. I guess that this forum software submitted your post twice because we both submitted our posts at exactly the same time. It seems like a weakness with this forum software. I remember that I recently had to delete an extra post from someone else. I assumed that the poster posted it twice, but it was probably the fault of the forum software.
Weird indeed, because I didn't get a return to this topic after I pressed OK, so I pressed OK once again.
It also happens to other people, so I too had to delete those duplicates.
A glitch in the forum software? You could be right about that. :wink:
Eric

Return to General Discussion