[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Spell check oddness

Spell check oddness

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Spell check oddness

Postby CellarDweller » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:14 am

This is rather amusing, and I don't need help so much as I am curious about the way Spell Check works.

In an email I misspelled the word 'ways', typing it as 'ays'. And when I right clicked it to correct it, I was given a list of possible choices, and, um, there were all kinds of choices except for 'ways'. There was:

days
bays
ayes
fays
gays

LOL...

Now, I don't use most of those words hardly at all, if ever, yet the word 'ways' is so common, I wonder why it was not in the list?? I had to laugh, and had to mention it here. It's just plain funny. Do you think whoever makes up this list could be a little more in tune with the more common words of our language? :)
CellarDweller
Poco Tourist

Re: Spell check oddness

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:00 am

CellarDweller wrote:It's just plain funny. Do you think whoever makes up this list could be a little more in tune with the more common words of our language? :)
It's funny, but almost no spellchecker has all the words, so it's up to you to add words. :)

Eric

Re: Spell check oddness

Postby CellarDweller » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:11 am

Eric wrote:It's funny, but almost no spellchecker has all the words, so it's up to you to add words. :)

I realize that, but it just seemed funny that 'ways' - a very common word - is not in the default list, yet a word like 'fays' is. Not a big deal, just having a chuckle. :)
CellarDweller
Poco Tourist

Postby jaxgtr » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:42 pm

You can find a new dictionary at http://www.addictivesoftware.com/dicts.htm

And the word way is in the list, you just have to select "Spelling" in the right click option and the word "way" can be found.

Edited: I found my link error issue, I had a period in it.

Brian
Last edited by jaxgtr on Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:57 pm

Works OK from here.
robin

Postby Pete » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:59 pm

Yes, it also seems to work correctly with the "American.adm" dictionary.
Pete

Return to General Discussion