[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - SSL/TLS over SMTP and PocoMail

SSL/TLS over SMTP and PocoMail

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

SSL/TLS over SMTP and PocoMail

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:45 am

For those requiring SSL over SMTP (for example the Gmail folks), does your ISP also require support for TLS (STARTTLS) over SMTP? Can you connect with either option with no hiccup?
Jim

Re: SSL/TLS over SMTP and PocoMail

Postby speerga » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:01 pm

Jim wrote:For those requiring SSL over SMTP (for example the Gmail folks), does your ISP also require support for TLS (STARTTLS) over SMTP? Can you connect with either option with no hiccup?

I use Gmail as the only smtp account I have which requires SSL. I'm not sure whether it would connect with either option. From their instructions for setting up various email clients, it seems to say either. I only know I run Pocomail and use stunnel to make it work. But I'm too ignorant to know all the options.

I did find this paragraph under the Gmail instructions for setting up Gmail's required secure smtp for "Other" clients not specifically listed in their help file. I quote:

"smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587"

Perhaps that doesn't answer your question, but it's the best I can do given my limited knowledge of the whole SSL/(STARTTLS) world. :)

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Pete » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:12 am

Thanks for asking, Jim. :)

While I don't "require" outgoing SSL, I do want to use it.

My email provider is FastMail, and I asked the question in their forums and, so far, I've received one response:

http://www.emailaddresses.com/forum/sho ... adid=34799

At this point, I believe that I would want to use SSL only, and that I wouldn't need STARTTLS.
Pete

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:50 am

Thanks Pete. I will monitor the site.
Jim

Re: SSL/TLS over SMTP and PocoMail

Postby Kaigan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:42 am

Jim wrote:For those requiring SSL over SMTP (for example the Gmail folks), does your ISP also require support for TLS (STARTTLS) over SMTP? Can you connect with either option with no hiccup?

The new mail servers at sympatico require TLS (STARTTLS) over SMTP. I am using presently using the AVG email scanner which has TLS to connect at the moment because I can't seem to get STunnel to work.

Peter
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Tue May 24, 2005 9:38 pm

Hi rhankey & welcome to Poco Forums :D,
I've moved your post to Email Hall and it can be found here, because it's not related to this topic. :wink:
Eric

Postby Eric » Wed May 25, 2005 6:20 am

Hi jurnie,
I've moved your post here for the same reason stated above. :wink:
Eric

I really loove my Gmail!

Postby bldrdrms » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:43 am

Will support for SMPT SSl be out soon?
bldrdrms
New Arrival

Postby Slaven » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:44 pm

Yes, it should be coming soon!
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby J-Mac » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:03 am

I just activated a new cable internet service at my house in the mountains with ProLog Hi-Speed Internet, which is the only high-speed service in this area - it requires SMTP/STARTTLS authentication.

So I now can't send nor receive any email with Pocomail or Barca. I've had to revert to Outlook while at this house, while using Pocomail at my other house. Difficult situation, to say the least.

Are we any closer at all to being able to do this in Pocomail?

Would the Stunnel solution for Gmail work as well with any SMTP server requiring authentication?
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Postby J-Mac » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:04 am

Slaven wrote:Yes, it should be coming soon!

Just noticed your note here, Slaven.

Did I miss it? Or is it still coming?

Thanks!
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:07 am

J-Mac wrote:Did I miss it? Or is it still coming?
It's coming in the major upgrade which should go into beta soon. :wink:
Eric

Postby J-Mac » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:18 am

Cool!

Thanks Eric. Do you know if Stunnel will help? Before I set it up and find out it doesn't the hard way?
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Postby chrisretusn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:32 pm

J-Mac wrote:I just activated a new cable internet service at my house in the mountains with ProLog Hi-Speed Internet, which is the only high-speed service in this area - it requires SMTP/STARTTLS authentication.

So I now can't send nor receive any email with Pocomail or Barca. I've had to revert to Outlook while at this house, while using Pocomail at my other house. Difficult situation, to say the least.
:shock: Is this applicable to only your ISP email account or all email accounts? I have one ISP account and 4 other pop accounts, I would be extremly upset if my ISP did that to me. Just wondering.

Would the Stunnel solution for Gmail work as well with any SMTP server requiring authentication?
Yes it will. You should be able to use PocoMail to receive mail. I am using PocoMail SSL to receive mail on two POP accounts and should work in your instance. To Send mail I am using Stunnel without any problem for those same two accounts. Stunnel will handle STARTTLS. Here is an extract from my stunnel.conf:

Code: Select all
;PocoMail Outbound Gmail
[PM-Gmail]
accept = 127.0.0.1:300
connect = smtp.gmail.com:465
;Next line required if port 587 used.
;protocol = smtp

;PococMail Outbound Safe-Mail
[PM-SafeMail]
accept = 127.0.0.1:260
connect = -www.safe-mail.net:465
Chris