[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoMail 4 and Barca 2 upgrade information

PocoMail 4 and Barca 2 upgrade information

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

PocoMail 4 and Barca 2 upgrade information

Postby Slaven » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:28 pm

PocoMail 4 and Barca 2 are now available at our new site!

We've had several questions about it, so to recap:

- This is a major update and as such you need a new license

- If you purchased PocoMail or Barca after May 1st of 2005 then you qualify for a free upgrade, just contact Support with your current license information, your purchase receipt information (sent to you at the time of purchase), the approximate date when you purchased and your full name and mailing address you used to purchase. Please allow time for processing.

- To purchase the upgrade online use the new Upgrade + Specials section of the Online Store, if you encounter problems please let us know.

Thanks! :)
Last edited by Slaven on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Re: PocoMail 4 and Barca 2 upgrade information

Postby Kaigan » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:23 pm

Slaven wrote:PocoMail 4 and Barca 2 are now available at our new site!

What about Barca Pro?

Peter
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Re: PocoMail 4 and Barca 2 upgrade information

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:28 pm

Kaigan wrote:What about Barca Pro?
Will be coming soon Peter AFAIK. :wink:
Eric

Postby ferent » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:54 am

Barca Pro will have new options or it will be Barca 2 + Barca Pro 1.4?
Alfredo Fernandez
ferent
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:02 am

ferent wrote:Barca Pro will have new options or it will be Barca 2 + Barca Pro 1.4?
IMO It will be Barca 2 + the features needed for Barca Pro, I think. Image
Eric

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:50 am

I am upset to say the least.
I purchased my poco mail at the end of April 2005.
So i miss the free upgrade.
I will not be paying for another email program any time soon.
So it looks like i will miss out on Poco Mail 4 :(

Tony
Tony
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:28 am

It's a shame, Tony, but I'm sure that you understand that the cut-off has to occur sometime. Frustrating for you though. If you only use POP3 mail then there isn't as much in it compared to if you use some of the more advanced capabilites like IMAP.
robin

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:42 am

Thanks for your reply Robin.
I do understand that the cut off has to be somewhere, no problem mate.
But is that it for Poco 3.4 now, support & minor update wise?

Tony
Tony
Poco Tourist

Postby Slaven » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:47 am

Sorry about you being on the wrong side of the cut off date, but PocoMail was seriously overdue for a major upgrade (it has been over 2 years since the last paid upgrade). PocoMail 3.4 will continue working for you though, and we will continue supporting it for some time!
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby TimothyS » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:40 am

Tony wrote:Thanks for your reply Robin.
I do understand that the cut off has to be somewhere, no problem mate.
But is that it for Poco 3.4 now, support & minor update wise?

Tony

You should read the conditions more careful especially this:
...the approximate date when you purchased...

If you purchased by the end of April, 1st of May is still approximate and within the specifications set by Pocomail. As stated in writing by Slaven, the exact date is not requested. Its entirely up to you if you want a free upgrade or not.

Tim
TimothyS
Poco Tourist

Postby saoir » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:00 am

TimothyS wrote:You should read the conditions more careful especially this:
...the approximate date when you purchased...

If you purchased by the end of April, 1st of May is still approximate and within the specifications set by Pocomail. As stated in writing by Slaven, the exact date is not requested. Its entirely up to you if you want a free upgrade or not.

Tim

I would suggest that the request for an approx date is a simple effort to help them locate your purchase order info. It does not contradict a requirement that it be purchased after May 1st of 2005 imho.
And in my opinion the pricing of a product like Pocomail and Barca is at the extremely affordable end of software pricing. What on earth can you buy for 40 - 60 dollars in this world for goodness sakes. This is by far the best email program and email/diary/calendar program there is - in a world where Photoshop and similar professional programs cost several hundreds of dollars.

PM and Barca are a snip at the price.
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby TimothyS » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:34 am

saoir,

I don't want to list here prices of competitive programs, option and feature comparison between PM and other clients to make a determination whether or not a price is justified, reasonable, etc. This depends too much on a personal view and needs for a program. This is a different topic.

I just would like to respond to your statements by saying:

1. Instead of ...approximate date... it could say: Purchase Date and then there would be no misunderstanding or room for interpretation.

2. If you read a few postings back in May 2005, you will find a statement made by Slaven saying: "Version 4 will be released in a few days." This is/ was for sure a stament that made it reasonable to believe that all products registered in the beginning of 2005 would be covered by PM's upgrade policy.

Jim Dada responded in a mail saying: "Don't mind Slaven he talks too much". Slaven is not an end-user, he is part of the team and, based on this fact, there are expectations that his statements should be taken serious.

Tim
TimothyS
Poco Tourist

Postby Slaven » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:46 am

If you purchased PocoMail or Barca after May 1st of 2005 then you qualify for a free upgrade, just contact Support with your current license information, your purchase receipt information (sent to you at the time of purchase), the approximate date when you purchased and your full name and mailing address you used to purchase.

I really don't see what's so confusing about this: if you have bought after May 1st then you qualify for a free upgrade. If you do qualify, contact us with approximate date of purchase so that we can locate you easily. If I had said "exact date of purchase" then 90% of the emails we would get would say "no idea", this way it gives us some extra info to locate the customer.

If you read a few postings back in May 2005, you will find a statement made by Slaven saying: "Version 4 will be released in a few days." This is/ was for sure a stament that made it reasonable to believe that all products registered in the beginning of 2005 would be covered by PM's upgrade policy.

Wow, did I say that? I remember saying that we were aiming for the end of the summer, so I am surprised I would have said that? Maybe it was a joke? In any way, statements as to the release date are not related to upgrade policies. Some of our competitors give zero day grace period.

And in the world where Eudora upgrade is $40, I do personally think PocoMail is underpriced, but that's just IMHO! :)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby TimothyS » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:57 am

Slaven,

And in the world where Eudora upgrade is $40, I do personally think PocoMail is underpriced, but that's just IMHO!

1. Eudora is something I never liked and never will.
2. You share the opinion about PM being underpriced at least with me. If you ask me, it could and should be in the mid 70s range.

Whenever a new software release hits the market, price discussions are part of the daily communications within the support/ software forum. There will always be disgruntled end-users who purchased 1 day or 1 week prior to the cut-off date. I support 0 days and no grace period. No problem if this is company policy and known to everybody. If a release comes and you purchased, bad luck - no harm done. If you have to pay full price because you are a few days away from the cut-off point, then it is slightly annoying.

Tim
TimothyS
Poco Tourist

Postby J-Mac » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:31 pm

TimothyS wrote:Slaven,

And in the world where Eudora upgrade is $40, I do personally think PocoMail is underpriced, but that's just IMHO!

1. Eudora is something I never liked and never will.
2. You share the opinion about PM being underpriced at least with me. If you ask me, it could and should be in the mid 70s range.

I agree with both statements....

But shush on item 2 - Jim will read that and adjust our prices!!

There will always be disgruntled end-users who purchased 1 day or 1 week prior to the cut-off date. I support 0 days and no grace period. No problem if this is company policy and known to everybody. If a release comes and you purchased, bad luck - no harm done. If you have to pay full price because you are a few days away from the cut-off point, then it is slightly annoying.

Tim

I always seem to fall into that "almost, but not quite" few days - story of my software life! (Actually, though, not the case with this upgrade - I lucked out this time!)

However I also fully support the 0 day grace period. Make a rule and stick to it. Any other way will cause headaches, no doubt.
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Return to General Discussion