[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - MSGTAG [Mod: 3rd party app]

MSGTAG [Mod: 3rd party app]

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

MSGTAG [Mod: 3rd party app]

Postby cubby » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:30 am

I used to use MSGTAG (http://www.msgtag.com/products/) successfully last year probably on Pocomail v3.

It no longer works under PocoMail v4 and Pocomail Support is not answering my emails re the reason!

Does anyone else use MSGTAG with PocoMail who can give me an educated guess as to why Pocomail does not handle the tags when MS Outlook and Thunderbird work fine?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards

John

~ Moved to General ... Eric ~
cubby
New Arrival

Re: MSGTAG

Postby Eric » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:45 am

Hi John & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
cubby wrote:I used to use MSGTAG (http://www.msgtag.com/products/) successfully last year probably on Pocomail v3.

It no longer works under PocoMail v4 and Pocomail Support is not answering my emails re the reason!
PocoMail 4 changed, because it was rebuild from scratch. :)

IMO It's not Poco Systems who do have to support MSGTAG, it's the developer of MSGTAG
who does have to make it compatible with the new Poco.

It would be best to ask the question to them. :wink:
Eric

Postby cubby » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:06 pm

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply but I am afraid that I whilst I take your point re support I am disappointed with your comments. I was hoping for help from other Pocomail users not to ginger up PocoMail themselves whomI have always found VERY helpful in the past

I accept the fact that it may not be a problem in PocoMail BUT I had only expected PocoMail to comment regarding the principles involved and any possible changes in PocoMail which might have had an impact on the tagging system not to investigate the problem for me. It could possibly for example be a newsecurity barrier in Pocomail 4 so far as the HTML tagging system is concerned (see below)!

I have had a long dialogue with MSGTAG regarding this problem and have tried all their suggestions to no avail. I was wondering therefor if any recent upgrade to PocoMail 4 has resulted in its current inability to operate with MSGTAG as it did up to December last before. It did work fine in PocoMail up to December 2005!. I have not upgraded MSGTAG since then so no change in their program so what caused the change?

One thing I have to do in Pocomail 4 to function with MSGTAG is change the Outgoing server to localhost. As soon as I do that I Get "socket error 10061" when I try to send a message! This of course prevents MSGTAG from functioning as expected.

As I said in my original Post it works fine in MS Outlook 2003 and in Thunderbird so the change of the outgoing mail server to "localhost" is not a problem to these programs.

I could continue using MS Outlook 2003 as my email client BUT I very much prefer to continue with Pocomail which I have used for many many years. Iwas hoping another PocoMail user might have tried MSGTAG and would be able to comment.

If it is of any help MSGTAG advise me as follows

"When you use MSGTAG the email goes through the MSGTAG desktop application on its way to your usual SMTP server (typically provided by your ISP). The MSGTAG desktop application acts as an SMTP proxy, passing the email on unchanged except for the addition of an HTML image reference. The image reference includes a unique ID. When the email is received, the recipient's email client sees the image reference and requests the image from the MSGTAG web server so that it can be displayed in the email. Usually the image is invisible because it is only 1 x 1 pixel in size.

The MSGTAG web server sends back a standard image and makes a note of the unique ID and the time that it was requested. The server then associates that ID with a specific user and email. It then sends the user a receipt notification email."

On my recommendation my family (my son lives in Vancouver and has just bought a house on Vancouver Island ) also use Pocomail and messages sent to them using MS Outlook 2003 are the only ones which do not trigger an MSGTAG response.

If no success with these Posts maybe I should pop over to Victoria next time I am in BC ands speak to Slaven personally!

Regards

John
cubby
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:39 pm

cubby wrote:Thanks for taking the trouble to reply but I am afraid that I whilst I take your point re support I am disappointed with your comments. I was hoping for help from other Pocomail users not to ginger up PocoMail themselves whomI have always found VERY helpful in the past
You're welcome John. :wink:
I should add that I'm a volunteer and not a PSI employee, so I'm also a PocoMail/Barca user like you.
IMHO PSI products do not have to support 3rd party apps.

Take for example Fookes software Aid4Mail & Maibag assistant.
When the index file changed to *.IDB the programs mentioned no longer could read those index files.
Fookes worked together with PSI to make it compatible again, which they did. 8)
I have had a long dialogue with MSGTAG regarding this problem and have tried all their suggestions to no avail. I was wondering therefor if any recent upgrade to PocoMail 4 has resulted in its current inability to operate with MSGTAG as it did up to December last before. It did work fine in PocoMail up to December 2005!. I have not upgraded MSGTAG since then so no change in their program so what caused the change?
We don't know exactly what changed in this new version other then the information posted during the beta.
As posted before by Jim, PSI doesn't provide support for 3rd party apps.
If another user is willing to give you the answers you're looking for, then he/she may do so.
One thing I have to do in Pocomail 4 to function with MSGTAG is change the Outgoing server to localhost. As soon as I do that I Get "socket error 10061" when I try to send a message! This of course prevents MSGTAG from functioning as expected.
It works as a proxy, so maybe there's something wrong with the setup. Never tried MSGTAG, so I don't even know how to set it up. :?
If no success with these Posts maybe I should pop over to Victoria next time I am in BC ands speak to Slaven personally!
If Slaven wants to address this question then maybe you won't have to visit him personally. :)

I'm sorry that it doesn't work and maybe I came down a bit harsh.
Accept my sincere apologies for that.

I may give it a try myself, if I find the time to test it out John. :wink:
Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:51 am

The Software relies on an Internet-based tagging service which resides on MSGTAG servers. MSGTAG makes no warranty that the tagging service will be available. MSGTAG may at any time change the protocol used to communicate between the Software and the tagging service which will render old versions of the Software obsolete. Additionally, MSGTAG may change any aspect of the MSGTAG servers including, but not limited to, price, volume and availability.
:shock:
Eric

Postby cubby » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:26 pm

Eric wrote:The Software relies on an Internet-based tagging service which resides on MSGTAG servers. MSGTAG makes no warranty that the tagging service will be available. MSGTAG may at any time change the protocol used to communicate between the Software and the tagging service which will render old versions of the Software obsolete. Additionally, MSGTAG may change any aspect of the MSGTAG servers including, but not limited to, price, volume and availability.
:shock:

Hi Eric

The above is fairly common these days as vendors cover their backs***s.

Looks like I will just have to use MS Outlook 2003 when I want a confirmation by MSTAG :(

Thanks for yor replies

Bye

John
cubby
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:01 pm

You're welcome John.
Hope MSGTAG will adapt to the new Poco, so you don't have to use
Outlook for it.

Take care. :wink:
Eric

Return to General Discussion