[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Licensing?

Licensing?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Licensing?

Postby Rilla927 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:38 am

Hi folks,

Barca looks like a nice program and I'm thinking of purchasing... but I have a question about the license.

Many, many times I have had to reinstall my OS due to virus, software glitches, hardware failures etc. I think you get the picture. I only have the one PC. Would I have problems if and when I would need to re-install Barca on the same machine when ever needed?

Windows is a temper-mental creature as we all know and anything can or will go wrong at any given moment.... at least that's my experience anyhow.

Thanks,
~Rilla927~
Rilla927
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:10 am

You shouldn't have any problems.

OS reinstallations would have to be your hobby :D for you to get into some troubles . Anyway, things can happen, and for that there is support to help you handle it.

If you are that kind of a guy that reinstalls every week (which I can't even imagine without getting sick stomach, especially after I remember how long it took me to reinstall my system last time), I imagine the best strategy for that is to have a snapshot of your system that includes the core of your software already installed, and that would include Barca, and in that case you couldn't have any problems at all as you wouldn't have to put registration info into Barca anymore on any further system reinstallatioin. There are some programs that do this (snapshots of system and reinstallation), I remember my girlfriend's laptop came with one but the name of it slipped away :(

But I guess this was already way longer answer than needed, so best to refer just to the first sentence of it ;)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Rilla927 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Tomas wrote:You shouldn't have any problems.

OS reinstallations would have to be your hobby :D for you to get into some troubles . Anyway, things can happen, and for that there is support to help you handle it.

Yes, you are right, but not by choice. My system was shipped 12 times in 23 months and that's just a fraction of it.

If you are that kind of a guy that reinstalls every week (which I can't even imagine without getting sick stomach, especially after I remember how long it took me to reinstall my system last time)

LOL! That's exactly what I did everytime I had to do it. I just bought some imaging software recently, hopefully I will be okay as long as my external don't die on me. That's where I store the images. It's a real PITA to put 70gig of info on DVD's.

I always look at things with the Murphy's Law theory because that's just the way it has worked for me.

I seen a review by a paid customer that said the third time they needed to install this software they were refused... that's why I want to be 100% sure before I make a purchase.
~Rilla927~
Rilla927
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:55 pm

Rilla927 wrote:I seen a review by a paid customer that said the third time they needed to install this software they were refused... that's why I want to be 100% sure before I make a purchase.

I'm not aware how exactly the registration code validation mechanism works, and that will remain secret anyway, as it could have been misused.

My guess though is that there is a difference if someone installs 10 times from same IP address using same code, and if someone else installs 10 times using same code but from 10 different IP addresses.

Another aspect is some of these issues might be tracked down to other problems. For example someone complained they couldn't install on their second PC (as allowed by license), which was in fact tracked down to firewall problem on that PC.

I believe even if such issue will happen, Pocosystems will be glad to have it resolved for a legitimate user.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Rilla927 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:46 am

Tomas wrote:
Rilla927 wrote:I seen a review by a paid customer that said the third time they needed to install this software they were refused... that's why I want to be 100% sure before I make a purchase.
I'm not aware how exactly the registration code validation mechanism works, and that will remain secret anyway, as it could have been misused.

It was the same PC.

My guess though is that there is a difference if someone installs 10 times from same IP address using same code, and if someone else installs 10 times using same code but from 10 different IP addresses.

Understood! I understand that software has to be activated from your ip address, I don't have a problem with that at all. Vendors do have the right to protect their software. I just wish I could get a concrete answer about the # of installs from a legitmate users side. I'm sorry for all the questions but I want to be 100% sure. In the past I didn't ask these questions and got screwed on the license where they wanted me to pay again and I refused.

We are anticipating on moving to another state with in the next year, so does that mean a licensed user should notify you of that? The ip address would change then.
~Rilla927~
Rilla927
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:16 am

See Why does Pocomail 4.1 "phone home" for more information. :wink:
Eric

Postby Rilla927 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:14 am

Eric wrote:See Why does Pocomail 4.1 "phone home" for more information. :wink:

I'm not worried about it phoning home for validation.

Are you specifically referring to the 7 times a user installed?
~Rilla927~
Rilla927
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:34 am

I'm sorry I don't know a concrete answer.

All I can say is, for the last 5 months that I'm working on Pocosystems helpdesk (btw. I don't handle the license related issues directly, they just go through my hands), I haven't seen a case where someone was told "you have exhausted the number of tries, you gotta buy new license".

For one thing, it would be a ridiculous policy, that would fire back almost instantly.

The multiple IP activation problem, I don't think 2 different IP addresses could fire it. For one thing, most internet users have dynamic IP addresses that change on every connection.
I believe with activation from multiple IP addresses, we are speaking here about one registration code being used at the same day from IP addresses in Russia, New Zealand and USA; cases like that.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Rilla927 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:18 am

Tomas wrote:I'm sorry I don't know a concrete answer.
I was just looking for a "yes" or "no" from anyone who had the authority to give it. It really is very simple.

All I can say is, for the last 5 months that I'm working on Pocosystems helpdesk (btw. I don't handle the license related issues directly, they just go through my hands), I haven't seen a case where someone was told "you have exhausted the number of tries, you gotta buy new license".

That's good.

For one thing, it would be a ridiculous policy, that would fire back almost instantly.

Well, I agree! I have ran into some that were not cooperative at all.

The multiple IP activation problem, I don't think 2 different IP addresses could fire it. For one thing, most internet users have dynamic IP addresses that change on every connection.
I believe with activation from multiple IP addresses, we are speaking here about one registration code being used at the same day from IP addresses in Russia, New Zealand and USA; cases like that.

I think this is where the misunderstanding is/was on my part. See, now that you explained it like that I do understand and thank you for doing so.

I was thinking on the terms of the activation coming from only my PC in one specific location not New Zealand, Russia, China etc. I think both of us meant the same thing, just not the same locations... on two different wave lengths that's all.

Is Barca a newer version of PocoMail? I was trying to understand what the differences were if any.

Is Barca 2.1 trial a full working version?
~Rilla927~
Rilla927
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:48 am

Rilla927 wrote:Are you specifically referring to the 7 times a user installed?
No, I was referring to something Slaven wrote in his post, but since I can't link to that post directly, I had to insert the link.
Slaven wrote:You keep referring to PocoMail not working 5 years from now if we go out of business: the fact is that PocoMail WILL</super_extreme_emphasis> work indefinitely, with or without our servers responding to its requests. Security through obscurity? You betcha (says Slaven, arms waving madly)! We try to secure it any way we can, as long as it doesn't affect our customer. And the truth is it doesn't - as I mentioned before, any information PocoMail shares with us was already shared by you when you purchased PocoMail. So I really don't see a problem:

a) PocoMail will keep working indefinitely, with or without Poco Systems.

b) We don't send any information that you didn't already volunteer to us.
Is Barca a newer version of PocoMail? I was trying to understand what the differences were if any.
It's another version which gives you a PIM. It uses the same engine and functionality you get with Poco.
For more information: Barca (Calendar, Email, Planner) or try it out yourself, so you'll know.
Is Barca 2.1 trial a full working version?
Yes, it will give you a full working version for 45 days. :)
Eric

Re: Licensing?

Postby Slaven » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:34 am

Rilla927 wrote:Hi folks,

Barca looks like a nice program and I'm thinking of purchasing... but I have a question about the license.

Many, many times I have had to reinstall my OS due to virus, software glitches, hardware failures etc. I think you get the picture. I only have the one PC. Would I have problems if and when I would need to re-install Barca on the same machine when ever needed?

Windows is a temper-mental creature as we all know and anything can or will go wrong at any given moment.... at least that's my experience anyhow.

Thanks,

As Tomas said, you really should be ok - there may be a way to confuse our licensing system but I haven't seen it yet. If it does happen we're here to make sure your license is not affected! :)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Return to General Discussion