[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Email Standards Project

Email Standards Project

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Email Standards Project

Postby maxtsukino » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:47 am

While surfing I found the site for the Email Standards Project ... they explain their mission and goals as this:

The Email Standards Project is about working with email client developers and the design community to improve web standards support and accessibility in email. The project was formed out of frustration with the inconsistent rendering of HTML emails in major email clients.

Our mission is to drive the use and support of web standards in email, working with email client developers to ensure that emails render consistently. This is a community effort to improve the email experience for designers and readers, and we’d love your help.

the campaign site

I understand that it's not an easy task in any form or shape, but it would be awesome to find Barca on the list of the email clients with solid support ...

thoughts?
maxtsukino
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:13 am

These are just very general thoughts:

- inconsistent html rendering happens in web browsers first of all, shouldn't they be the first ones to target

- inconsistent html rendering is mostly a problem for marketers - they need to design flashy email to sell, and need "to have that Buy button displayed and working". It seems to me that the guys behind the project are just from that field - online marketers and mass email senders. Of course this is not necesarilly a flaw.

- the guys behind it nicely named their project "email standards", but it has little to do with real email standards

- many email clients first of all don't follow the real emailing standards fully

- now back to those marketing guys behind that: Their only concern is that the email displays well on the user side. Users major concern, to my experience, is that they can reply to HTML email and that the formatting is maintained.
So not only are they NOT after email standards, they are not even after HTML standards in email clients, they are just after the "displaying of HTML emails from permission-based lists correctly"

They have themselves positioned their project that way:
"This project is intended to create a better experience for everyone who creates, sends and receives HTML emails from permission-based lists."

Are they legitimate? Yes. Shall they be listened to? Probably yes. But there are WAY MORE important concerns in HTML handling in email client, than theirs.

Just my humble opinion.

Now I sound like I'm against it, but I'm not. We all know that Pocomail/Barca shall get better html support, and it's in the working.

Just that they only look at one side of a dice, moreover thinking it's the 6.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to General Discussion