[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - MAILTO fix (setting Pocomail/Barca as default email program)

MAILTO fix (setting Pocomail/Barca as default email program)

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

MAILTO fix (setting Pocomail/Barca as default email program)

Postby Tomas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:26 am

There seems to have been a typo in the latest update, in the registry writing routine, causing Mailto not work (eg. if you click on mailto link on any webpage, Pocomail/Barca will not open new message editor).
Thank you Bruce for discovering the cause!

For the meantime, here are quick patches available:

Pocomail registry patch

Barca registry patch

Barca Pro registry patch

Running the executable inside the archive, will change the wrong registry key location (if present) to the correct one.

Step by step instructions:
- download the file relevant to your software
- double click on the downloaded zip archive to open it
- double click on the executable file (pocomrf.exe or barcamrf.exe or barcapromrf.exe) to run it
That's it. There will be no messages, executable runs for a second or so.

If asked by your security program (antivirus, ...), allow a (one-time if choice is available) registry access and writing for this executable.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby luxor » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:36 am

Just to point out that if the patch doesn't seem to be working as in my case, right click on the file and run as administrator.
That fixes it. :)

Thank you Tomas for the patch.
luxor
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:09 am

Thank you!

I should have also noted that if someone is afraid of running the fix, it's possible to get same effect by manually editing your Windows registry...just say so if you prefer that and I'll add the details.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby lian » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Thank you !
my blog (illustration, comics, SF and my work in french) : http://www.li-an.fr/blog
lian
Poco Tourist

Postby Larry » Tue May 05, 2009 12:56 pm

It still doesn't work for me. I've run the exe as administrator but it doesn't make PM the default. If I click on Make Default in PM it seems to work but when I go to Default programs Vista say Unknown program and nothing opens. I've also tried without clicking anything in PM.

PM is not in the optional programs for mailto protocol.

Vista 32bit.

Any ideas?

Larry
Larry
Resident Poster

Postby luxor » Tue May 05, 2009 9:20 pm

After you run the patch try right clicking on the Pocomail icon and running as administrator. Once Pocomail is running go to options -> Use as default mail program: and click on make default.

See if that fixes it.

You may have tried this already of course, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Luxor
luxor
Resident Poster

Postby Sandy » Wed May 06, 2009 3:29 am

The patch program did not work for me either. In another thread (referred to above), someone pointed out to root of the problem which is in the registry. I simply went to the registry here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command

and made this the value for that registry key:

"C:\Program Files\PocoMail\Poco.exe" /m "%1"

(the quotes are necessary).

I presume this registry change is the sort of thing that the patch does. I'm going to guess that in my case the patch didn't work because of some assumption the patch makes about what the mucked up key is supposed to look like. In my case that mucked up key used a DOS name for the directories -- perhaps the patch didn't expect that form (or at least not the exact one that was in my registry).

All is working fine now.
Sandy

Postby Larry » Sun May 10, 2009 1:26 am

Thanks luxor, but I'd already tried that.

I also manually changed the registry as Sandy shows but a mailto still opens Thunderbird. I've tried change in the Default Programs but the mailto option, after selecting PM to be the default shows it's an "unknown program".

Any other ideas?

Larry
Larry
Resident Poster

Mailto...fixed

Postby Penintel » Sun May 24, 2009 6:04 pm

Hello everybody!

"Pocomail" (4.8) is still the best mailer I ever used. And I often come to the forum for a whiff of nice air of passionate users!
I had not noticed the "Mailto problem", but trying to use "Mailto" with "Time and Chaos", and "Digital Phonebook", I noticed it did not work. After checking PM was registered in IE > Tools as "default", I ran the file given by Tomas. At first, it did not work. Then I tried to go back to "Pocomail" Options, to re-register it as "Default", and it worked! Thanks Tomas and Luxor and all the "users -who-help"!
I will continue to introduce PM to my friends, but as it is in English only, it slows up their wishes to try it!
Have a nice ad glorious Summer!
All the best from Brittany!
:D
Pierre
Penintel
Poco Tourist

Still not working

Postby 3trac » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:05 pm

I have tried the patch and editing the registry (all run as administrator). Also going through the options - set as default mailer method. But still cannot get working correctly.

I can get it to open a new email in Pocomail but it puts the email address in as an attachment! not in the "To" field.

Under the attachments tab of the new email I get the red crossed out symbol followed by: mailto:xxxxxx@xxxxx.co.uk

I have also tried setting the default emailer for "mailto" in the options of Firefox

Any further suggestions please?

I have this problem on 2 computers
One using Vista and Firefox
The other using Win7 and Firefox
3trac
Drop-in Visitor

Postby drjamie03 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:44 pm

I'd be interested in this fix as well. I tried all of the above without success. I'm unable to click on a link on a webpage to send something via Barca, or to use other programs with a 'send to email' function. It isn't critical, but it can be pretty inconvenient.
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

64-bit Windows 7 solution to mailto: problem

Postby Russ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:45 am

Windows 7 64-bit (and presumably Vista 64-bit) places 32-bit programs like Barca and Pocomail into the Program Files (386) directory (only 64-bit programs are placed into the Program Files directory).

To get Barca to be default, I had to start it with Administrator privileges, but that didn't fix the problem altogether because clicking on a mailto: link simply opened Barca but didn't create a new message window.

I tried setting Barca so it opened with Administrator privileges all the time, but that simply meant that I had to deal with the confirmation dialogue every time Barca ran and it didn't fix the issue.

I tried the script for Barca, but assume that it didn't know how to deal with 64-bit windows.

However, I modified Sandy's registry edit to make it work for 64-bit Windows 7:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command

and made this the value for that registry key:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Barca2\Barca.exe" /m "%1"

(as Sandy said, the quotes are necessary). Presumably, Pocomail will work with the following value:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\PocoMail\Poco.exe" /m "%1"

I don't have a Vista system to test this solution, but hopefully it will help those having problems with Vista as well as Windows 7 users.

Russ
Russ Harvey
Writer and Computer Consultant
www.russharvey.bc.ca
Russ
New Arrival

WORKAROUND to attachment mailto: problem

Postby laser92awd » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:25 pm

No matter what I tried, in Windows 7 Pocomail always opens an email link with the email address shown as a mailto: attachment.

As others have mentioned, the New mail window does open normally, but you are started out on the Attachments tab with mailto:email@address.com and a white box with red circle through it.

This may be simple but until a permanent solution is found I discovered that if you double-click on the mailto: address that is shown under the Attachments tab, an additional New mail window will open and the address will be correctly formatted in the To: field.

I realize it's an extra step and an extra window to close, but at least it works.

Everything else I've tried to do under Windows 7 with Pocomail has worked so far.
laser92awd
New Arrival

Re: WORKAROUND to attachment mailto: problem

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:51 pm

laser92awd wrote:No matter what I tried, in Windows 7 Pocomail always opens an email link with the email address shown as a mailto: attachment.

I realize it's an extra step and an extra window to close, but at least it works.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't realized that clicking the link would open a new window that worked.

I never saw the link in the attachment until I set up PocoMail 4 for a client in a new 64-bit Windows 7 computer. I wonder why it is intermittent. If we could figure out the trigger (i.e. duplicated the issue on any Windows 7 machine) Poco could likely fix it.

I run Barca 2 rather than PocoMail 4, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Russ Harvey
Writer and Computer Consultant
www.russharvey.bc.ca
Russ
New Arrival

Re: WORKAROUND to attachment mailto: problem

Postby FFF » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 am

No matter what I tried, in Windows 7 Pocomail always opens an email link with the email address shown as a mailto: attachment.

FTR, i see the same for some time, using XP Pro SP3 - possibly one of the unending MS Patches broke it...

Karl
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Next

Return to General Discussion