[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - What's Happened to Technical Support?

What's Happened to Technical Support?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

What's Happened to Technical Support?

Postby Bones » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:40 am

Sure would be nice to get an update on what's brewing behind the scenes? Technical support would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Bones on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bones
Drop-in Visitor

Postby mbatten » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:33 am

I've moved on to an email client that rocks and is in perpetual development...Postbox. <snip>

Seems like Pocomail/Barca is no longer keeping up with the times. It's archaic and buggy.

~No publicity please! - Eric~
mbatten
New Arrival

Postby carladave » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Some keep talking about all this stuff that's going behind the scenes with technical advancements. To me that seems like hot air. I've been using Poco for 11+ years and I haven't seen much in the way of progress in at least 3 years.

My needs are simple so I haven't been overly concerned, but I'll have to be moving on sometime soon after I find another app that is progressing. Most of the people I've turned on to Poco have just caved in and yielded to Outlook. Too bad...

Dave
KJV 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
carladave
Drop-in Visitor

Postby carladave » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Wow,

I'm sitting here going through all the threads on this forum where people are asking about further development for Poco. Looks like this wonderful email client is heading into the blackhole of app's that fall by the wayside. I sure I'm proven wrong.

Dave
KJV 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
carladave
Drop-in Visitor

Postby FFF » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:10 am

mbatten wrote:I've moved on to an email client that rocks and is in perpetual development...Postbox. <snip>

Had a quick look, seems interesting. How did you transport your mails from Poco to PB? Especially, what about the attachments?

TIA
Karl
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Postby blakelyg » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:30 pm

FFF wrote:
mbatten wrote:I've moved on to an email client that rocks and is in perpetual development...Postbox. <snip>

Had a quick look, seems interesting. How did you transport your mails from Poco to PB? Especially, what about the attachments?

TIA
Karl

I have seen Postbox and even used it for a while. 99% of the items in the paid version are available in Thunderbird with a few addons. In fact if you look at the comparison chart and the whats new for Postbox, many of the touted ver 2.0 features already exist in Pocomail (and were available in Thunderbird as well)- unified mailbox, quick reply and others. Does it have some features that Poco does not? Sure. Does Pocomail have some features that Postbox does not have - answer there is also sure.
Now an argument about active development is a valid one. Having been with Pocomail since almost the beginning for some reason I keep returning to it. Do not know if it is the HTML safe rendering or the scripting language or even the look and feel. Active development has not been at the top of MY list. Sure it would be nice to see some or all of the current issues addressed as Pocomail - and a lot more since Windows 7 (both 32 bit and 64 bit) came on the scene.

Lets face it the best email client is one that does everything (or almost everything) that you want or need it to do. For most people Pocomail will do that (as will any number of other email clients).

OK getting down from my soapbox. ;)

Gord
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby luxor » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:00 am

blakelyg wrote:Lets face it the best email client is one that does everything (or almost everything) that you want or need it to do. For most people Pocomail will do that (as will any number of other email clients).

OK getting down from my soapbox. ;)

Gord

Couldn't have put that better myself. :D
luxor
Resident Poster

Postby aderoy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:29 am

One item I do wish for -- better IMAP support. I have four accounts of which three are IMAP. The POP3 account is of course local, sometimes I will move an e-mail message from one IMAP account to another or even make a copy to the local mailstore.

IMAP support is rather lacking, wish it would be better.

Do not like webmail interface and use only when not near a computer I trust (not often). gmail, fastmail and gmx (gmail having the worst IMAP server support) accounts plus my local ISP.

Would and will upgrade Poco when a new version is delivered.
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:20 pm

blakelyg wrote:Having been with Pocomail since almost the beginning for some reason I keep returning to it.

Not matter what client I try I too find my self returning to PocoMail.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby FFF » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:49 pm

Gord,
blakelyg wrote:Sure it would be nice to see some or all of the current issues addressed as Pocomail - and a lot more since Windows 7 (both 32 bit and 64 bit) came on the scene.

Lets face it the best email client is one that does everything (or almost everything) that you want or need it to do. For most people Pocomail will do that (as will any number of other email clients).
Gord

i have only one complaint and one enhancement wish with Poco - the problem with replying to UTF-8 coded mails being the complaint - and i'd like to see multiple attachment folders, housekeeping would be much easier. All else is fine...
Ah, yes. The abyssmal information policy. If Slaven finds time to twitter, i feel mistreated as paying customer, if he keeps out of his own forum - no problem, if so for weeks, or even months. But dissappearing for years is bad manners, to say the least.

Karl
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Postby blakelyg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 pm

FFF wrote:i have only one complaint and one enhancement wish with Poco - the problem with replying to UTF-8 coded mails being the complaint - and i'd like to see multiple attachment folders, housekeeping would be much easier. All else is fine...
Ah, yes. The abyssmal information policy. If Slaven finds time to twitter, i feel mistreated as paying customer, if he keeps out of his own forum - no problem, if so for weeks, or even months. But dissappearing for years is bad manners, to say the least.

Karl

I know what you are saying about information and dissemination on other media rather than through "official" channels so to speak. As a paying customer I too would love more information about where Poco/Barca is heading, and support issues as well. Several pieces of software I use have gone the route of using forums for support and providing information and have been very successful at doing that. In those cases the developer is directly involved in the development and maintenance of the product. That is not the case here. I feel the information provided by the mods and others are superior... and they should applauded for that. Being an info junkie I get information where ever I can. Not everyone is like that. I can certainly agree with your comments - just does not bother me in the same way.

Gord
blakelyg
Resident Poster

End of PocoMail?

Postby 3trac » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:03 am

I find it a great shame that this once great email client has been allowed to slip.

If there is to be no future development or technical support they should come clean and state this on their web site.

The web site is still live offering downloads and paid versions available. Anyone new would not know that if they paid for any of the software from Poco Systems they will not get any support now (and probably not in the future).

I have used PocoMail for many years and as a paying customer used to enjoy good technical support.

I have recently had problems with viewing mail on the server. It does not work at all. Locks up Pocomail and sends the CPU usage up to 90-98% The only way to shut Pocomail down is through Windows Task Manager and force it to shut down.
I have tried reinstalling PocoMail but cannot solve the problem.
It maybe coincidence but the problem only seems to have surfaced after updating AVG to the latest version (10).

I have used this feature for many years without problem. I have open tickets in the support system for weeks about this but have had nor response at all.

I like this feature to delete emails left on the server (Need to leave them on the server to read on other computers).

I have got around this problem by using the online folders and deleting them there.

But how long before something else becomes broken and can't be fixed?

As sad as I feel to have to be doing it, I feel I am going to have to start to look around for a more reliable email client that is still being developed for the future and has support.

If anyone at PocoSystems is listening? Please let us all know before it is too late.
3trac
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Fueler » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:49 am

3trac,
You may be on to something with the AVG. I used it for years. The latest versions seem to suffer from bloat and I began to have issues with poco and other programs that couldn't be explained.

One day I had some weird issue that I just knew/felt had to be related to AVG. I uninstalled it and manually cleaned out any left over traces of it. Problems went away.

I now use Microsoft security essentials and it works great. Computer is faster too. Your mileage may vary. :wink:
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fueler
Frequent Visitor

Postby Flashfox » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:36 am

It must not be easy for the mods to stay positive and to continue to support this PS forum if even PS shuns it. Kudo's to the mods as they have helped many... for free! No matter what happens to PS, your help is invaluable in the absence of all but extremely sporadic official PS support. I admire your optimism.

Big picture wise, I too wonder if PS support and while at it, the whole company is in limbo? Slaven is active on Twitter (@Slaven) but all questions regarding Barca or PM are responded with vague "we are working on it" messages.

It is unfortunate that PS refuses to keep its staunch and loyal followers abreast on the future of the product. If it's true and there is a future for PS, then even a short message from Slaven to this effect will raise hope. Alas, no one at PS seems to care about us... what a pity.

On my side, I am plagued with an "error 6" problem and support hasn't answered me yet nor has anyone suggested solutions in the Barca section. I need to restart Barca every few days or the error 6 pops up and Barca fails to retrieve mail. I purged my mailboxes thinking they were too big but alas, the problem persists.
Flashfox

Postby 3trac » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:28 am

Thanks for that Fueler.

I have now removed AVG and loaded Microsoft Security Essentials instead. A nice piece of software and free.

Also - My Pocomail is now working fine again (On both machines I have tried it on). All the problems I was getting was being caused by AVG.
At least I can now stick with Pocomail for a bit longer!

Microsoft Security Essentials is working well too - thanks for the tip. :wink:
3trac
Drop-in Visitor

Next

Return to General Discussion