[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoMail Future?

PocoMail Future?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

PocoMail Future?

Postby DRP6833 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 am

Hi all! I've been using PocoMail 3.4 for years and really like it. Recently I upgraded computers and tried several different email clients, but decided to stay with PocoMail. I was going to upgrade to 4.8, but noticed that this version is dated April 6, 2009.

So my question is, what's the future hold for PocoMail? No upgrade in almost two years makes me think the software is at a dead end. I'm reluctant to pay to upgrade to the current version if it's going to be the last.

EDIT: I found this thread in the "General Discussion" section: Is PocoSystems Support and Development Dying?
Dave P.
DRP6833
Drop-in Visitor

Re: PocoMail Future?

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 am

Hi Dave & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
DRP6833 wrote:So my question is, what's the future hold for PocoMail? No upgrade in almost two years makes me think the software is at a dead end. I'm reluctant to pay to upgrade to the current version if it's going to be the last.
See Once again I have to re-register.

IMHO I don't believe everything which is posted here.
For now no news about a new version, but Slaven is working on it.
It takes time, but we might be surprised with the outcome. :D
Eric

Postby DRP6833 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:21 am

Thanks for the welcome, Eric. I assume this is a reference to my request for support when my first attempt to register didn't work. It must have been during the server outage; obviously the second time was a charm in this case! :wink:

Eric wrote:...For now no news about a new version, but Slaven is working on it. It takes time, but we might be surprised with the outcome. :D

That's fair, and I hope your insight or unofficial information is correct. I do really like PocoMail and, like most people on this furum seem to do, hope that it continues to be improved and supported. It's one of the rare software packages that I've been using consistently for years and don't want to give up!
Dave P.
DRP6833
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Fritz Wagner » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:26 am

I feel that it does no good for Eric or anyone else to suggest that PocoMail has a future. It has been previously indicated here on various threads that it has been sold, that there is no money for development, that there is no longer an income stream to hire anyone, that Slaven is earning his living elsewhere.

I am actually somewhat bitter about the false promises. I really love PocoMail and then switched to a Mac. I bought software to make it work in Mac but the software wouldn't handle PocoMail. For that reason and for lesser other reasons, I sold the Mac. I am probably the only person who turned his back on Mac for PocoMail! But this talk of development (ie, completely rewriting the core for Windows 7, etc. and testing it, etc., is pie in the sky.)

Even with Windows XP she is showing her age. I have 57k messages now and I worry about scalability. She isn't buggy, but some things aren't intuitive and some are clutzy.

I await further development of PocoMail with the same breathless anticipation with which I wait for the seas to cease to rise and the earth to begin to heal.

Best,

Fritz wagner
DRP6833 wrote:So my question is, what's the future hold for PocoMail? No upgrade in almost two years makes me think the software is at a dead end. I'm reluctant to pay to upgrade to the current version if it's going to be the last.
Fritz Wagner
Fritz Wagner
Poco Tourist

Postby Bones » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:07 am

Fritz, I agree with you... Have you ever heard the saying, "All Good Things Come To And End"? And so it is with PocoMail. If this program were still in development Slaven would have given us a glimpse into the future. The reason he doesn't come out and say anything is so they can continue to sell licenses. Why jeopardize future sales by issuing a statement that the program has no future? Hence, the "Greed" factor. Let's make as much money as we can with this dying program... let's milk it for everything with can to those who are uninformed. I'd give anything to admit that I'm totally off base and completely wrong in my assumptions so I ask you Slaven to have some integrity and please issue a statement... any statement as to the future of PocoMail. Man Up!
Bones
Drop-in Visitor

Postby k.anderson3454 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Is there any truth to this??
All natural ingredients are included in semenax & virility ex.
k.anderson3454
New Arrival

Postby Fritz Wagner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 pm

There seems to be a difficult market situation. People who don't care much about email programs are content to use Outlook and the like and for those who want something better they can look at these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... il_clients

And they can read comparative evaluations like this:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/download- ... ndows.html

So in a highly fragmented market one can imagine the cost and effort to earn a position near the top and stay there.

For myself, I haven't the least desire to try any of those dozens of programs listed in the Wiki article unless forced to by circumstances.

Best,

Fritz Wagner

k.anderson3454 wrote:Is there any truth to this??
Fritz Wagner
Fritz Wagner
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:22 am

Fritz Wagner wrote:I feel that it does no good for Eric or anyone else to suggest that PocoMail has a future.

IMHO it's all about what we see under "future". If it's "it will exist and occasionally be updated" then yes I firmly believe in that.
What I don't believe in is that it will suddenly change to a racehorse and see an update every month.

I have 57k messages now and I worry about scalability.

Tha'ts not much (unless stored in one folder) and won't be a problem with hardware getting more power all the time.

Pocomail 4.8 shouldn't be the last version, there is work in progress, the question is when it will be released.

If this program were still in development Slaven would have given us a glimpse into the future. The reason he doesn't come out and say anything is so they can continue to sell licenses. Why jeopardize future sales by issuing a statement that the program has no future? Hence, the "Greed" factor. Let's make as much money as we can with this dying program... let's milk it for everything with can to those who are uninformed. I'd give anything to admit that I'm totally off base and completely wrong in my assumptions

Slaven will not be issuing any statements I'm sorry, it has always been a policy not to announce future plans, it's not uncommon in software industry in general, major reason is not make people bitter when some goal is not met (release schedule not met, features promised not implemented,....) which almost always happens.

I'll not comment in detail on the monetary part (sales, licenses, milking,....), compared to the information I have it's off base and Slaven's main aim is to make Pocomail going on, but everyone is welcome to their opinion.

> let's milk it for everything with can to those who are uninformed.

People should buy software that works for them. If it doesn't, they shouldn't buy it. It's that simple. All software is sold as it is.
I know of a lot of applications that even don't have updates, just new major version you have to pay for every time.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Bones » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:01 am

Slaven will not be issuing any statements I'm sorry, it has always been a policy not to announce future plans, it's not uncommon in software industry in general, major reason is not make people bitter when some goal is not met (release schedule not met, features promised not implemented,....) which almost always happens.

I'll not comment in detail on the monetary part (sales, licenses, milking,....), compared to the information I have it's off base and Slaven's main aim is to make Pocomail going on, but everyone is welcome to their opinion.

People should buy software that works for them. If it doesn't, they shouldn't buy it. It's that simple. All software is sold as it is.
I know of a lot of applications that even don't have updates, just new major version you have to pay for every time.

I know your allegiance to Slaven, everyone on this forum understands that... but an explanation is long overdue as to why there is no longer any technical support?
Bones
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:43 am

Bones wrote:I know your allegiance to Slaven, everyone on this forum understands that... but an explanation is long overdue as to why there is no longer any technical support?

I have re-read my last post, and from my point of view, it's completely either factual or my own personal universal opinion (eg. the part about buying software), I didn't find there any "paying allegiance to Slaven" type of content.

For one example, saying there is development, if that was contrary to the reality, is type of behaviour that's not part of my skill set.

I'm sorry for the support troubles. There is new helpdesk now and you can reach support through menu Help > Email support. If you had an open ticket, it's best to re-submit I'm sorry (as the status of the old helpdesk is not completely clear yet).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:03 am

Tomas wrote:
Fritz Wagner wrote:I feel that it does no good for Eric or anyone else to suggest that PocoMail has a future.

IMHO it's all about what we see under "future". If it's "it will exist and occasionally be updated" then yes I firmly believe in that.
What I don't believe in is that it will suddenly change to a racehorse and see an update every month.
That's exactly what I meant, when I posted that Tomas.
However not in such comprehensive sentences. :|

IMHO I firmly believe there will be a next version, although I don't wan't put pressure on Slaven.
I've seen it happen over and over again when software was rushed out, because people were putting pressure on development.
Afterwards it starts raining complaints about how buggy the software really is.
Better quality then quantity, so I'll wait patiently. :)
Win 7 | KIS 2012 | SUPERAntispyware | SandBoxie | ShadowProtect
Browsers: Opera & IE | Barca Pro | SnagIt
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:45 am

I regularly use software that has not been updated in several years. I use it because it suites my needs. The same goes for PocoMail, I use it because it suites my needs. That, and I have yet to find any other email client program the does what PocoMail does the way it does.

I am perfectly happy with the current version of PocoMail and I am looking forward to the new version when it comes out.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby IanM » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:17 pm

chrisretusn wrote:I regularly use software that has not been updated in several years. I use it because it suites my needs. The same goes for PocoMail, I use it because it suites my needs. That, and I have yet to find any other email client program the does what PocoMail does the way it does.
I am perfectly happy with the current version of PocoMail and I am looking forward to the new version when it comes out.

My feelings exactly, I could not have put it any better.
PocoMail is a super great program.
Thank you.
Ian
IanM
Drop-in Visitor

Postby DRP6833 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:08 am

IanM wrote:
chrisretusn wrote:I regularly use software that has not been updated in several years. I use it because it suites my needs. The same goes for PocoMail, I use it because it suites my needs. That, and I have yet to find any other email client program the does what PocoMail does the way it does.

My feelings exactly, I could not have put it any better.
PocoMail is a super great program.

Interesting comments, all. After spending some time checking out other email applications, I have to agree with both IanM and chrisretusn that Pocomail simply does the job. I couldn't find anything I liked better, and given the effort to port my existing email archives over to a new program, I've decided to go ahead an upgrade to 4.8, even if it is the "end of the road" for the program.
Dave P.
DRP6833
Drop-in Visitor

Postby jayno » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Well, what a surprise .. and a relief!

I thought Poco/Barca was dead and gone because for weeks and weeks when I tried the forum page it was locked up with no recent posts, and I couldn't find news or a message anywhere on the Net to tell me what was happening. I was nearly at the point of abandoning my lovely Barca because I feared one day I would switch on and find it malfunctioning too!

Then tonight I just clicked through to the website to see if there was any change and I find the forum is back in a new format, and here are Eric and Tomas back soothing our woes again. I'm almost in shock. I'm pleased of course, yet I'm exasperated that I have been left totally in the dark for so long.

I have to say I wish Slaven would send some kind of message - even if he says nothing about future development. Something like "Hello. I do exist. I'm busy looking after my life but I haven't forgotten you" would do for a start. This zero-based communication policy towards we loyal customers seems to me to be extreme to the point of weirdness!

Anyway, I'll just put this request in my time capsule to send out into the Slaven outer galaxy: Can I have a web-based Barca please, so I can access and use it on any puta, anywhere, and never have to worry about the lack of cross-kit synchronisation again? Give me that and I'll pay you for it gladly.

Oh, and happy new year from my planet earth in this galaxy

Jayno 8)
Jayno
Firefox 12.0 | Barca 2.8 | MITG 2.1
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Next

Return to General Discussion