[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - visited vs unvisited links

visited vs unvisited links

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

visited vs unvisited links

Postby paleolith » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:32 pm

In the style sheet in use for these forums, I find it almost impossible to distinquish between visited and unvisited links. As a result I keep opening the same threads that I've already read. I finally changed from author mode to user mode (at least I'm using Opera, so this is trivial), but then I lose a lot of the layout. Could you fix the style sheet so that visited and unvisited are much more distinct, or (better) leave it to the user's preferences?

Thanks,

Edward
paleolith
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:05 pm

At the top right of the forum index page is a link called "View posts since last visit" - saves a lot of searching for new stuff.
robin

Postby paleolith » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:03 am

robin,

While that's useful, it doesn't address the problem for several reasons.

Note the "new arrival" under my ID. When you haven't been here before, or not for several months, EVERYTHING is new. Last night I was doing a lot of "read a thread, back out to the index". And then "read that interesting-looking thread again" because it wasn't adequately flagged.

And the latter is the bottom line: I was re-visiting links and getting frustrated because the visited link style was inadequately different from the unvisited link style. For a much longer discussion of this problem, see the Jakob Nielsen article at

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040503.html

Actually this is a problem on the entire pocosystems.com web site, as I realized after I posted the first message. I hope they will read the above-linked article and take it to heart. pocosystems.com is an easy web site to get around outside of the navigation-inhibiting choices of link styles (not only the noted problem but also any link isn't sufficiently distinguished from plain text!), and it's rude to so frustrate the interested user. And Nielsen's studies strongly imply that PSI probably loses business because of this problem.

Edward
paleolith
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Slaven » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:29 am

Thanks - we made some changes, hope it helps! :)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Pete » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:32 am

It appears that PSI has changed this in the forums. I see dark red for visited links (although you might have to be logged in or allow cookies to see this).

Now I wish that they'd change the color of links in posts so that they always have the same light-blue color that I currently only see when I hold my mouse over the links.
Pete

Postby COD » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:02 am

I've never tried to track posts by link color. The icons on the Forum index pages change to indicate new posts since your last visit. That seems a much easier way to me.
COD
Resident Poster

Return to General Discussion