[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - error reports from Norton 2005 [Resolved]

error reports from Norton 2005 [Resolved]

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

error reports from Norton 2005 [Resolved]

Postby matchstickman » Thu May 12, 2005 4:59 am

I am getting an increasing incidence of error reports from NAV (recently upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2005), which indicates something causing interruption problems to email server while sending. Did not have this problem with any previous versions of Norton. This is totally new and I am wondering if I am alone or is this known elsewhere.

The error report is numbered 1003,9 and identifies the outgoing email and the subject line of the offending email.

In most cases - I can wait for a while, and sometimes it just clears and the email is sent normally.

I have tried turning off the Norton Firewall, no difference.
I have tried turning of outgoing scanning, no difference.
I have checked out the broadband, all clear - no problems
I have check out the email server - all clear - no problems.

I am using XP sp2.

I am also using a Netgear DG834G router/firewall.

Any pearls of wisdom would be helpful. Norton are not responding to this yet.

Cheers
Matchstickman

Edit Eric: moved to Email Hall
matchstickman
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Thu May 12, 2005 5:44 am

Hi matchstickman,
:idea: Have you tried turning off your Norton Internet Security 2005,
meaning not only turning it off, but killing all processes still running.

or maybe booting into Safe Mode will help.

I've used NIS2004 before, but not anymore.
Too much strain on your system resources, almost no support and no hourly updates. :?

Someone else may come along who knows more about it.

Just my 0.2 eurocents. :wink:
Eric

Postby matchstickman » Thu May 12, 2005 7:02 am

Thanks for your 0.2 Eurocents my friend.

I am reluctant to kill the running Nav processes, this just seems too brutal and would leave the system open to virus attacks etc. However, I have turned off the various elements of the Nav in turn, and this did not clear the problem.

The problem just seems to go away on its own if left alone...

The problem appears to be an intermittant one. It is not present the whole time, sometimes it goes for several hours with no problem (with no changes having been made), and then it reappears in a completely random manner for no self-evident reason. Not apparent to me that is, it may well be self evident to some much more experienced guy out there in cyberspace!

There just does not appear to be any logical or other clear reason for NAV to report that there is some kind of interruption between the email client (PocoMail) and the server. Yet it gives this report, and nothing gets out. My feeling is that there is just something not responding in the normally expected sequence of transmission.

I can't believe that I am alone with this problem.

Cheers

Matchstickman
matchstickman
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Thu May 12, 2005 7:23 am

matchstickman wrote:Thanks for your 0.2 Eurocents my friend.
You're welcome. :wink:

I am reluctant to kill the running Nav processes, this just seems too brutal and would leave the system open to virus attacks etc. However, I have turned off the various elements of the Nav in turn, and this did not clear the problem.
Sure it would leave your system open to attacks, but only if you don't have any other protection in place.

This information might interest you.

As for your problem the best is to reinstall NIS2005. (info from Wilders)
That's the only way to cure your problem, I guess.

or changing it completely with another antivirus & firewall.

For complete removal have a look here. :wink:
Eric

Postby robin » Thu May 12, 2005 8:38 am

I wonder if in fact this is related to yor ISP if nothing else has changed in your system. Do you have access to another ISP or outgoing SMTP server to try?
robin

Postby Pete » Fri May 13, 2005 2:44 am

FYI, Matchstickman, I have been using NAV/NIS 2005 on WinXP sp2 for several months without a problem.

During installation, I always disable the email scanning, spam blocking, etc.
Pete

Postby matchstickman » Fri May 13, 2005 11:54 pm

Thanks very much for all your input chaps

I found the solution for me was to completely uninstall the NIS 2005, and reinstall from scratch.

Works perfectly under all circumstances. I do not anticipate any further problems with this now - looks and feels very solid working with PocoMail.

However, on reflection I do feel that Norton need to review their advice notes regarding installs.

Cheers

Matchstickman

:P
matchstickman
Poco Tourist

Return to Email Hall