[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Barca & Kaspersky Personal Pro 4.5

Barca & Kaspersky Personal Pro 4.5

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Barca & Kaspersky Personal Pro 4.5

Postby Scott C » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:27 am

Hiya

First message here :) I'll get straight to the point though :)

I trialled Barca about a week ago now and I was so impressed within the first half hour that I decided to buy it...however I'm having problems getting it and Kaspersky to co-ooperate in a "stealthed" way.

Does anyone here know the procedure for getting Kaspersky Personal Pro and Barca to work together nicely?

I am also suffering the SP2,DEP & Kaspersky Personal Pro issue as I run an A64 so I'm not sure if that is making any difference? I just know that Kaspersky said it wouldn't install the E-Mail client due to me not running Microsoft Outlook (My pockets arent that deep and I prefer Barca anyway :p)

It might be a really stupid,easy thing that I'm missing!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Scott
Scott C
New Arrival

Postby tribble » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:41 am

Scott,

I just had a look at the Kaspersky web-site.

"Kaspersky Anti-Virus scans all emails for possible infection and detects all types of malware. The solution supports a broad range of mail databases: Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, The Bat!, Netscape Messenger, Opera mail client and IncrediMail Kaspersky Anti-Virus successfully protects mail traffic and deletes viruses from MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express email databases. The virus scanner checks every layer, including all archived and compressed files, of every email, incoming and outgoing."

It mentions SPECIFIC email packages. It may be that Kaspersky simply doesn't work with Barca.
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Scott C » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:45 am

tribble wrote:Scott,

I just had a look at the Kaspersky web-site.

"Kaspersky Anti-Virus scans all emails for possible infection and detects all types of malware. The solution supports a broad range of mail databases: Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, The Bat!, Netscape Messenger, Opera mail client and IncrediMail Kaspersky Anti-Virus successfully protects mail traffic and deletes viruses from MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express email databases. The virus scanner checks every layer, including all archived and compressed files, of every email, incoming and outgoing."

It mentions SPECIFIC email packages. It may be that Kaspersky simply doesn't work with Barca.

Oh :(
Thanks for finding that tribble :)
I've sent Kaspersky an email now to see if they can shed any light on it!

Thanks again :)

Scott
Scott C
New Arrival

Postby robin » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:13 pm

Hi Scott - I use Kaspersky 5.0 with Barca (and Poco) with no problems at all. My suggestion is that you upgrade your version to KAV5.

I think that 4.x only dealt with Outlook etc because it didn't scan incoming messages, but 5.0 does scan incoming messages (and outgoing if you want) so will work with all POP3 clients.

I expect that is what Kaspersky support will tell you.
robin

Postby Scott C » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:20 pm

robin wrote:Hi Scott - I use Kaspersky 5.0 with Barca (and Poco) with no problems at all. My suggestion is that you upgrade your version to KAV5.

I think that 4.x only dealt with Outlook etc because it didn't scan incoming messages, but 5.0 does scan incoming messages (and outgoing if you want) so will work with all POP3 clients.

I expect that is what Kaspersky support will tell you.

Thanks for the reply Robin :)
Unfortunately I've only JUST bought Kaspersky Personal Pro! Which is still v4.5
I'll see what Kaspersky can tell me if I pester them enough :)

Thanks,

Scott
Scott C
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:02 am

Hi Scott,
Scott C wrote:I'll see what Kaspersky can tell me if I pester them enough :)
Maybe you could ask the question at this Kaspersky Forum.

Good luck. :wink:
Eric

Postby tribble » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:40 am

I jsut read at the MS site that Windows SP2 and Kaspersky don't work well together:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:48 am

tribble wrote:I jsut read at the MS site that Windows SP2 and Kaspersky don't work well together.
:roll: I'm still on SP1, so no problem. I'll wait, until it's fixed for a lot of programs installed on my system.
Thanks for the info. :wink:
Eric

Postby tribble » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:51 am

Bummer, it was worth a try :)
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:24 pm

Let's read the full details...
Kaspersky Anti-Virus (German)
Kaspersky Labs
64-bit (NX)
http://www.kaspersky.com
Real-time scanning does not work.
Saying that "they don't work well together" is overstating it somewhat - all it says is that German version 5 will not do realtime scanning with a 64-bit processor.
robin

Postby Rui » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:34 pm

Hi Scott C

I also have KAV Personal Pro version 4.5 and I configured it easily to work with Poco.

Assuming that "Options" for "Checking Mail" are the same at Poco and Barca (I cannot confirm this since I don't have Barca), under "Option" and "Checking Mail" browse the path for Kaspersky - it should be something like C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro\Avp32.exe.

Also, if you have the option of giving command line parametrs, put at the appropriate space
/S "Program Files\Barca\Attach"
Notice the space between S and ".
That should do it IF checking mail in Barca may be configured the same way it happens in Poco
Hope that helps!
Rui
Rui
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:57 pm

Rui wrote:That should do it IF checking mail in Barca may be configured the same way it happens in Poco
Hope that helps!
Rui
The Barca mail core is essentially Poco so it should.
robin

Return to Email Hall