[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Dumping a mail server

Dumping a mail server

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Dumping a mail server

Postby rmcarner » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:36 am

The subject line says it all. I would like to terminate my relationship with verizon.net. I am piggy backing off a wirless connection my neighbor next door has. What are my options for getting mail forwarded into my Poco account? I don't see a viable way of doing it from Yahoo or some such. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dick
rmcarner
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:43 am

Hi Dick & welcome to Poco Forums, :D

Gmail has an option to forward mail. :)
If you don't have an account, just send me a PM with an email
address where I can send the invite to. :wink:
Eric

Postby robin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:55 pm

Dick - it's not clear from your post exactly what you are trying to do. Do you want to move your verizon.net e-mail account somewhere else, to keep it and have the mail automatically forwarded, or...?

Your PocoMail "account" is simply the lookup information for an e-mail address - without a e-mail address and an internet connection Poco can't get your messages.
robin

Postby rmcarner » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:30 am

Hi Robin,
Robin wrote:Dick - it's not clear from your post exactly what you are trying to do. Do you want to move your verizon.net e-mail account somewhere else, to keep it and have the mail automatically forwarded, or...?
My fault. "Yes" to your question. I want to terminate my Verizon.net e-mail account. Which means, as you describe below, that I will need an internet connection and an e-mail address. I am using (with his permission) a neighbors wireless connection. It is almost as fast as my Verizon DSL connection and the signal is very reliable. So I don't need Verizon anymore. Unfortunately once I terminate that relationship, I lose my .net e-mail account. So my question is, where should I set up an account somewhere on the internet such that I can automatically get my mail forwarded into Poco. I rely on Poco quite heavily now for filtering and organizing my messages. I have an account with Yahoo, but for the life of me, I don't know how to forward the mail from that account into Poco. Obviously, once I quit Verizon, I will have to notify everyone of my new address.

Thanks. I hope I am a bit clearer about my question.

Dick

Your PocoMail "account" is simply the lookup information for an e-mail address - without a e-mail address and an internet connection Poco can't get your messages.
rmcarner
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:10 pm

Hi Dick - sorry for the delay, been to Amstredam for the weekend :D
I have an account with Yahoo, but for the life of me, I don't know how to forward the mail from that account into Poco.

There are two parts to internet e-mail that you need to worry about:
POP3 is the way that PocoMail gets your messages from your e-mail address.
SMTP is the way that PocoMail sends messages for you.

What you need to find from Yahoo are the POP3 mail settings that PocoMail will need to use to collect your mail, then PocoMail will go direct to Yahoo without it needing to be "forwarded". I don't have this information - maybe someone else does - but you'll need to check the on-line information that Yahoo provide. A search of the e-mail help pages with POP3 may yield results.

Another issue, however is sending mail. With most ISPs (including I assume Verizon) comes an *outgoing* (or SMTP) mail server that PocoMail passes messages to for onward delivery - you'll need to get this information from your neighbour - ask him for outgoing SMTP information.

If he can't for won't do this for you, then you'll need to find an e-mail hosting company that will handle SMTP for you as well as POP3. GMail will, for example. Yahoo may as well, although I don't use it so can't confirm.

Lastly, if you are piggy-backing on your neighbour, ensure that you have a good firewall on your computer (the Windows one is adequate enough) and a reliable anti-virus, and that the rest of your neighbour's wireless network is considered to be untrusted. If an infection gets onto one of his machines you don't want it spreading to yours :wink:
robin

Return to Email Hall