[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Outgoing "JUNK"

Outgoing "JUNK"

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Outgoing "JUNK"

Postby nomis1934 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:14 am

I send a lot of mail out using the bcc. Receivers always come back to me with the fact that "JUNK" appears in the subject line. I do know that it is the receivers ISP that places that in the subject line.

Does anyone out there in POCOLAND know of a way or a system that I can apply to hold down this prefixing as much as I can?
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Re: Outgoing "JUNK"

Postby Eric » Mon May 05, 2008 8:15 am

nomis1934 wrote:Does anyone out there in POCOLAND know of a way or a system that I can apply to hold down this prefixing as much as I can?
Depends on how your email is made up.

:!: Avoid using:
- too many colors
- inline images
- links to external websites
- certain words
- blank subjects
and many more rules unknown to us, which your ISP uses.

See also Email Spam Scores and Filters - Will Your Email Pass the Spam Score?

Hope that helps getting your mail through. :wink:
Eric

Outgoing "JUNK"

Postby nomis1934 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:06 am

I am familiar with all the things on your list, surprised about the colors.

My incoming spam is down to a minimum using POCO only. You stated, "would it pass my spam score. I am lost. Is there a outgoing spam score? And if so, what do I do to activate it and test it?
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Mon May 05, 2008 6:26 pm

nomis1934 wrote:I am familiar with all the things on your list, surprised about the colors.
Not to be surprised about, same as using symbols in the subject.
My incoming spam is down to a minimum using POCO only. You stated, "would it pass my spam score. I am lost. Is there a outgoing spam score? And if so, what do I do to activate it and test it?
You can paste your email into a spamchecking tool, like SpamCheck, so you'll know if your email will be flagged as spam.

It will give you an indication to minimize the risk that your message will end up as junk. :)
Eric

Postby Tomas » Tue May 06, 2008 9:59 am

nomis1934 wrote:I send a lot of mail out using the bcc. Receivers always come back to me with the fact that "JUNK" appears in the subject line.

BCC alone is probably the cause of JUNK prefix.
Different spam filtering systems have different ways of working, but one of the rules most of them share is: "If the recipient's email address is not in the TO nor CC, assign HUGE number of spam points."
I wouldn't be surprised of for some systems, this alone would be enough to mark the email as junk.

The way around, apart from the obvious: not using BCC, I'm sorry I'm not much informed about the server-side of things, but these two came to mind:

1) Recipient shall setup a specific rule at their server so that your email address is allowed/white-listed.

2) My webhost offers Email Authentication, and Domain Keys, for my email accounts. I'm not acquainted with them personally, but from what I read both shall improve the chances of emails getting through. For example about Domain Keys they say:
DomainKeys is an e-mail authentication system that allows for incoming mail to be checked against the server it was sent from to verify that the mail has not been modified. This ensures that messages are actually coming from the listed sender and allows abusive messages to be tracked with more ease.

You'd have to check what for options your email service provider offers in that respect.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to Email Hall