[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Anti-SPAM plugins ?

Anti-SPAM plugins ?

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Anti-SPAM plugins ?

Postby Cloudy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:17 am

Well I'm personally not 100% happy with the build-in spam filtering in Barca and PocoMail.

I've been marking a bunch of mails as good and as bad but it still seems to mark valid messages as bad (like the Debian newsletter for example) and certain bad mails as good.

Now I've been wondering if there is a plugin that can be used with Barca like there is AntiSpamSniper for the bat! and some other clients.

I've read on a Dutch forum that SPAMfighter is a good product (has a free and pay version) but it doesn't support that much clients.

The advantage of this software seems that it syncs the reports so when I mark a message as SPAM all other users will also get an updated blacklist and the mail will automatically be marked as spam for them aswell. It's also said to be more accurate.

Anyway, Spamfighter support says they are not working on support for PocoMail/Barca but they have an SDK that can be used to integrate their service into the final product.

I think it's their OEM section or something like that ?
http://www.spamfighter.com/oem_software.asp

~ Moved from Barca ... Eric ~
Barca Pro 2.8 | PocoMail 4.8 | myInfoToGo 2.1

"Imagination is more important then knowledge" --Albert Einstein
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Gert750 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:43 am

Hello Cloudy,

I use SpamBayes (http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/) with Poco/Barca and have great success with it.
In the first (few) weeks you need to login to SpamBayes (it runs on your own computer) and mark messages as spam or ham. Depending how you have it setup, it will add the word SPAM to subjects of spam emails.
You can also let Poco react on a header that SpamBayes add to the message:
X-Spambayes-Classification: ham
or
X-Spambayes-Classification: spam
or
X-Spambayes-Classification: unsure

It also adds the header:
X-Spambayes-Spam-Probability: 0.7
So you can use Poco's filter to "increase spam probability" option for messages with a high SpamBayes probability.

Works perfectly for me.
Gert750
Poco Tourist

Postby Cloudy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks, I'll have a look when I have some time.

I tried a trial version of another product and after that (it needed to reboot) my system stopped working (BSOD) and recovery didn't seem to work.

So to make a long story short, I lost a lot of data since recovery decided it had to clean E (where I had my licenses, backups, ...) when recovering the C drive. So I'll have some work getting stuff to work well again.

Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:33 am

Cloudy wrote:I tried a trial version of another product and after that (it needed to reboot) my system stopped working (BSOD) and recovery didn't seem to work.

So to make a long story short, I lost a lot of data since recovery decided it had to clean E (where I had my licenses, backups, ...) when recovering the C drive. So I'll have some work getting stuff to work well again.
Sorry to hear about that. :shock:
I've tried several anti-spam a long time ago, but never did I experience a BSOD, nor did I have to reboot.

I hope you do have an image/backup of your data somewhere.

Good luck in getting your stuff back. ;)
Eric

Postby Cloudy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:42 am

I don't know if it's caused by the Anti-Spam software but I installed "Spam Experts Desktop" or something like that and after installation it claimed it needed a reboot and after the reboot I got the BSOD.

I had a similar problem with BitDefender but then removing BD in safe mode fixed the problem but this time that didn't work.

I have backups of most of my stuff but I didn't backup my licenses of some newer software yet (including Barca 2 Pro and some others) so I hope PSI support can assist me.

I was planning on making that backup in a few days but I guess it's too late now :cry:

Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:05 am

Cloudy wrote:I don't know if it's caused by the Anti-Spam software but I installed "Spam Experts Desktop" or something like that and after installation it claimed it needed a reboot and after the reboot I got the BSOD.
I know that one, although I've never tried it. As I said I tried lots of them, just to see if one would meet my needs. :lol:
I had a similar problem with BitDefender but then removing BD in safe mode fixed the problem but this time that didn't work.
There's also a BitDefender uninstall tool. :)
I have backups of most of my stuff but I didn't backup my licenses of some newer software yet (including Barca 2 Pro and some others) so I hope PSI support can assist me.
Just drop a note to Support, so you'll receive your license key again. :P
I was planning on making that backup in a few days but I guess it's too late now :cry:
That's bad luck. :cry:
However there's always a possibility something may go wrong when installing new software.
Sometimes it doesn't remove like it should or it conflicts with other software, hardware.
Always use caution and be sure to backup critical data or take an image prior to installing something.

I work with snapshots to experiment with new software, so in case something happens, I can go back anytime. No need to restore backups/images.
In case you didn't have to reboot, you could use Returnil Virtual Systems or you could even run a Virtual OS. 8)
Eric

Postby Cloudy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:17 am

There's also a BitDefender uninstall tool.

I know and I've used it the last time.

but now I'm running ESET ESS (Trial) and not BitDefender anymore since BD caused that problem more then once.

This was a different error (BD didn't give a BSOD) and for some reason even system restore wouldn't fix it.

Just drop a note to Support, so you'll receive your license key again.

First thing I did when the system was back up (install Barca and send the email).

Also did a quick install of that Spambayes filter (pop3 proxy) and it seems to work but I guess I still need to configure some stuff in Barca but that's for tomorrow).

However there's always a possibility something may go wrong when installing new software.

Yes, but you don't expect it :D

Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Re: Anti-SPAM plugins ?

Postby chrisretusn » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Cloudy wrote:Well I'm personally not 100% happy with the build-in spam filtering in Barca and PocoMail.

I've been marking a bunch of mails as good and as bad but it still seems to mark valid messages as bad (like the Debian newsletter for example) and certain bad mails as good.

Cloudy, I have been pretty happy with PocoMail's Junk Filters at then moment it working with 97.60% accuracy.

I think one of the reasons is because I use filters to act on messages such as newsletters, Yahoo! Groups messages, messages that normally would be considered Junk. Same goes for messages from friends and relatives. Basically any messages I expect to receive is run through a filter. Since the Junk Mail filters is that last item in my filter set it only acts on messages that I have no filters for.

I also save my Junk messages to use for training the Junk filters. On training the good side I pick only messages I would not normally consider spam such as message from friends and relatives. I do not train with newsletters or those fwd's type messages I get from some of my friends because in my mind these technically spam.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:00 am

Barca will work with most of the antispam software on the market.

I second the recommendation of SpamBayes.

Problem with SpamFighter SDK is that it's a paid-for solution (license fee would apply). I'm not quite sure whether it would bring any return on investment. (Just personal opinion, I'm not in the position to make any decisions on that.)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to Email Hall