[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Junk mail filtering...once again

Junk mail filtering...once again

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Postby kevinp » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:20 am

Appreciate the suggestion, but I can't add all the contacts from all my clients companies to my address book.

From what I am hearing, on the help that people have given me is, the Bayesian filters in Barca/Poco are not that great, and it's better to use custom filters to only accept email from people in your address book.

Having the filter is good, but not great, the bayesian filters should do a better job. As a test, I think I am going to disable the internal bayesian filters and run a 3rd party filter again, then based on it's scores filter that message. If the internal Bayesian filter is just as good as 3rd parties, I should receive the same results.

I've talked to colleagues that use Thunderbird, and the built in spam filter in thunderbird has pretty much eliminated their spam from their inbox, so it is possible.

I think the developers may need to spend a little bit more time tweaking their bayesian/spam filters. If some people are getting great results, and others are getting poor resutls, something is definitely wrong.

BTW, I have a 71% accuracy on the junk filters at home (Pocomail), and that is VERY poor. This AM when I loaded Poco, 90% of the spam received ended up in my inbox, only filtered 1 email to junk. Something is not working correctly.

Any insight from the Poco Systems developers?

--Kevin
kevinp
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:54 am

kevinp wrote:Appreciate the suggestion, but I can't add all the contacts from all my clients companies to my address book.

--Kevin

Kevin:

Using the suggestions here you do not have to add every contact from all your client companies to your address book. Simply add the domains to the accepted sender list. To do this right click on the address of a sender from the company n the message index pane and select "Junk Mail Filtering | Allow Domain". You can also edit the accepted senders file using a text editor, it is the "exceptsenders.txt" file in your "Mail" directory.
Michael

Amen

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:43 pm

kevinp wrote:I hate to keep flooding this forum with messages, but I am just trying to better understand how all this works.

messages,... Amen to that brother!

~ Link removed ... Eric ~

Postby Mitch Wagner » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:45 am

The previous message in this thread is spam ... which is ironic, if you think about it.
Mitch Wagner
Poco Tourist

Postby dribnus » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:56 am

I would have to agree, very ironic and not good There's a couple of post with that link. It's almost like someone is playing with an automated spam program.
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Mitch Wagner » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:59 pm

Not playing ... using. The links appear to be the kind of thing you often see in blog comments spam. The goal of that kind of spam is to raise a page's Google rank.
Mitch Wagner
Poco Tourist

Unique!

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:36 am

Michael wrote: I have quite good accuracy on my end but then I am running the non-Bayesian filters as well as several processes I've built myself.

"quite" is quite unique, I never heard about something like that before.

~ Link removed ... Eric ~

Previous

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To