[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - How to tackle SPAM

How to tackle SPAM

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Postby SFCurley » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:03 pm

Re:the extra work to add to list, I have a newsletter list to filter newsletters into one folder. I just added a button to my toolbars that opens the newsletter list file for easy editing with one click.
SFCurley

Postby FieldDir121 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:33 pm

SFCurley,

Good idea. I see how to add a user action button to the toolbar. I don't see how to make it do anything. What do I look under in help?

Scott
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Postby SFCurley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:32 am

Create a short script that opens notepad. Here's my script for the newsletter button.

execute "notepad.exe" "c:\program files\poco mail 3\#news.txt"
exit

#news.txt is the newsletter list file.

Then, from within the script-editing tool in Poco, you can associate your new button with that script.
SFCurley

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:31 am

With a little extra work the script could be made to extract the address from the current message and add it to the file. One warning though, you might want to issue a prompt to confirm that you want to add the address just in case you inadvertently press the wrong button on the toolbar.
Michael

Postby FieldDir121 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:11 am

>> Then, from within the script-editing tool in Poco, you can associate >> your new button with that script.

Michael,

I don't see how to do that. I also didn't find anything in help under scripts.

It seems, once I can get a script to open the file, the best way is to just put the new addresses at the beginning of the file. I will then write a C program to sort them into numerical order. A second button can activate that program.

Scott
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Postby Michael » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:37 am

Scott:

The subroutine from the following script will extract the originating IP address from a message you have received:
Code: Select all
Call GetOriginatingIPAddress
MessageBox $OriginatingIPAddr
Exit

{***************************************************************************************************************************************
{ Function    : GetOriginationIPAddress
{ Description : Gets the originating IP address from the received headers.
{ Method      : The script examines the "Received" headers of a message and takes the 1st string bracketed by
{               square brackets ("[" and "]") from the last received header to contain such a string and reports it.
{ Inputs      : %Message
{ Outputs     : $OriginatingIPAddr - The originating IP address.
{***************************************************************************************************************************************
:GetOriginatingIPAddress
{
{  Method: The script examines the "Received" headers of a message and takes the 1st string bracketed by
{  square brackets ("[" and "]") from the last received header to contain such a string and reports it.

ReadAllHeaders $headers %message
  Set $OriginatingIPAddr ""

:RcvdLoop
   LineCount #l $headers
  If #l = 0 Then Return
  LocateLine #l "Received:" $headers
  If #l < 0 Then Return
    GetLine $line #l $headers
    DeleteLine $headers #l 1
    StringPos #l "[" $line
    If #l = 0 Then RcvdLoop
    ChopString $line 1 #l
    StringPos #l "]" $line
    If #l = 0 Then RcvdLoop
    ChopString $line #l 9999
    Set $OriginatingIPAddr $line
  GoTo RcvdLoop
Return

Here's a reference to an article regarding assigning a button to run a script.
Michael

Postby FieldDir121 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:07 am

The addressbook can become huge when using existing e-mail addresses to screen incoming messages. For instance, I had all e-mails not in my address book going to a mailbox called "Unknown Sender". I would glance through that mailbox to see if there were any messages I wanted. Since I use one of the accounts for work, I found I was having to add lots of names to my address book that I would probably never use.

Using a file within a filter condition I came up with an alterative. Add the e-mail addresses to the file. In that way their e-mails would get through without cluttering up my address book. More importantly, it allows me to add the following:

@IntlWidget.com

This allows any sender from IntlWidget to send me an e-mail without my knowing their name in advance. Since I can get e-mails from accounting, engineering or sales this helps a lot.

Scott
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Postby dribnus » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:42 pm

I'm trying to play around with the %file%:"****.txt" filter process. I have the txt file created and in the main Poco directory.
I have a short list of words or sets of words, but I can't seem to get the filter to catch it. Should the .txt file be in some type of particular format or the text within it?

Update.....I put the path to the .txt file in the filter, and it now sees it. Not sure why it needed that, but it works now. However; I'm still having a different problem that can be seen in this post.
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby FieldDir121 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:23 pm

dribnus,

I do not see this effect and I am using three such filter stages. I just tried the example in the cited post. "ck" in the subject header made it past all my filters with the word "StarBucks" in the text file (neither word actually has quotes).

Check a few things. First make sure the text file is really just text. Make sure there are no embedded control characters or formatting codes embedded. Using Notepad will insure that. MSWord can save in text only format, but for now use Notepad to be sure. Once it works, try using MSWord or your favorite editor.

I have also noticed that the first line of the text file is ignored, at least in some cases, so I leave it blank.

Scott
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Previous

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To