[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - How to create a "File as Junk Mail" button

How to create a "File as Junk Mail" button

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

How to create a "File as Junk Mail" button

Postby fanfare » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:14 am

Is there a way to create a junk mail button for the top menu? I know that the preview pane has one, but I've also heard that previewing messages puts others at risk from spammers, so I've disabled the preview pane in my In Box. I'm guessing this would be a script of some sort?

Thanks
Jim
fanfare
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Maximus » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:36 am

To create a button for the main toolbar is the easy part....

1) Go to menu "Tools" and then "Scripts" (or just press F9)
2) Click on "buttons"
3) Add a script (to write one is the harder part...) to the desired button (e.g. #1).
4) On the right hand name choose a description for the yellow tooltip that will appear when hovering the mouse over your button.
5) Close the scripts window
6) Go to menu "Tools" and then to "Customize" (or press SHIFT-CTRL-F7)
7) On the left hand side, select "user action 1" and move it to the right hand side. (for whatever reason it is called "user action", instead of "button" ???)
8) Close the window.

==> Et voilà, there is your circle button #1.

Hope this helps at least partly...
Adi
Maximus
Resident Poster

Re: How to create a "File as Junk Mail" button

Postby Tomas » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:18 am

fanfare wrote:I know that the preview pane has one, but I've also heard that previewing messages puts others at risk from spammers, so I've disabled the preview pane in my In Box.

That's why many people choose Pocomail or Barca, because if you have it setup correctly, such risks are eliminated. It's mostly Outlook that suffers from the "preview disease".
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby fanfare » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:47 am

Thanks for the tip, Maximus.

And Tomas--how do I know if I have Poco set up correctly to avoid the preview pane problem?
Jim
fanfare
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:17 am

Poco can't execute javascript in the preview pane, and it doesn't use the internet explorer engine, which is the source of most of security problems. That's what comes already built-in as a problems prevention.

Second thing, you might want to turn off the images display, ie. switch to "Block Images" - that makes it for spammers harder to track whether your email address is active, etc.. Some go that far as to "Sanitize HTML" or even "Ignore HTML". All these are probably in the options, I see them in my config when pressing ALT+S and they appear in a window on the right side of the preview pane.

You could also, from the options, setup your antivirus to check each incoming files for viruses.

Though better search for security threads than taking it from me, or maybe it is in help file, I use Poco with just default settings for years without any problems (unlike when I used MS email clients), so I didn't had any need to dig deeply into this stuff.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby darrellb » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:19 am

One other way to turn off the preview pane is to right click on a folder (mailbox), select "Properties", and then under "General" check the Disabled box under "Custom Preview Pane."

Because I keep HTML rendering and image downloading enabled, I have the preview pane disabled for the Junk Mail folder and another folder where much of the spam I receive ends up. That way, there is nothing sent back to the spammers.

Darrell
darrellb
Poco Tourist

Postby fanfare » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:54 pm

That answers my questions. Thanks for all the help!
Jim
fanfare
Drop-in Visitor

Postby FieldDir121 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:05 pm

Maximus,

Is it possible to use a button to open a file with Notepad directly? Or, can buttons only activate scripts?

Added Later: Using Calculator as an example I have it working using a script.

Code: Select all
Execute Notepad.exe "..\SpamEntire.txt"  { up one directory level to Pocomail main

Scott
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Re: How to create a "File as Junk Mail" button

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:50 am

Hi fanfare,
fanfare wrote:Is there a way to create a junk mail button for the top menu? I know that the preview pane has one, but I've also heard that previewing messages puts others at risk from spammers, so I've disabled the preview pane in my In Box.
You might want to take a look at Customising Poco, so you'll be able to apply an Event OnDisplay for your In, Junk & Trash folder.

All my previews for those folders are sanitized, so it's really safe and there's no need to create an additional button. :)
Eric

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To