[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Junk filter - manual and question

Junk filter - manual and question

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Junk filter - manual and question

Postby Thomas01 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:16 pm

Hello,

is there any complete manual available "How to set up the best filter" ?

Mostly i get the same junk message three times. Now i can mark one of this mail as junk and when i select the other mails and run the junk filter manually this two mails still don't be moved away or marked as junk.
It seems like the filter has not learned from me, because my previously marked spam was exactly the same message.
:(

Any reason ?

Regards
Thomas01
Poco Tourist

Postby Maximus » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:53 am

Well, bayesian filtering remains a mistery.... I can only tell you what I do, in order to reduce some of the spam.

I am, too, receiving similar spam messages quite often. I usually copy the spammers' web page address mentioned in the message body and add it to a black list (CTRL-F4, "word lists" tab, "message body" button). Add a really high score to it.

E.g.
"spammerwebpage.com", +1000

This way the other spam messages of the same type are washed away into the junk folder, the next time you run your filters.

Adi

PS: For best results, only add the real domain name to the black list, without:
- http://
- trailing sub directories.
- preceding sub-domains

Example 1:
You are asked to click on the following web page
http://www.spammerwebpage.com/clickhere/indeed.html

==> add only the "spammerwebpage.com" to the junk word list

Example 2:
You are asked to click on the following web page
http://google.com.spammerwebpage.com

==> add only the "spammerwebpage.com" to the junk word list
Maximus
Resident Poster

Postby Thomas01 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:44 am

Hello,

Thank you very much !!
Will try it out and hope it helps.

Right now after thunderbird import i see that about 1500 mails are in my junk folder. :(
I think more than 50% are non-spam and they are from different folders. So i believe i have to make a lot of work now to move them back to the correct folder.

Have you selected "Run standard non Bayesian filters" ?

Regards
Thomas01
Poco Tourist

Postby Maximus » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:53 pm

Add a filter (menu tools, filters or just F4):

Code: Select all
IF sender address is in my address book (known senders) THEN
  stop proessing this message
END IF

This way emails from your friends and business contacts are not sent to junk folder.

Thomas01 wrote:Have you selected "Run standard non Bayesian filters" ?

Yes, this option is ticked, indeed.

In addition, I don't teach bayesian filters using "Junk" or "Good" buttons. I personally did not get very good results with them, since most spam is in English, however most of the emails I receive are written in German.

I prefer to use the blacklists of words, especially for "banned subjects" and "message body".

Adi
Maximus
Resident Poster

Postby Thomas01 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:31 am

Hello Adi,

thanks for your help, i really appreciate it !

I will add your solution to my barca filter.

I am from Austria, so the lanquage of my mails are also english and german. :)

How long do you use barca ?
BTW: I have set Barca as default mailer under preferences.
It works fine but some programs do not know that barca is my mailer (Snagit, Acrobat). Do you know any trick ?

Regards
Thomas01
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:20 am

Thomas01 wrote:BTW: I have set Barca as default mailer under preferences.
It works fine but some programs do not know that barca is my mailer (Snagit, Acrobat). Do you know any trick ?
Those apps use MAPI to communicate with an email client.
Barca however doesn't use MAPI, due to the security risks involved, so that's why these can't email with Barca.
No trick here. :?
Eric

Postby Thomas01 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:22 am

Eric wrote:
Thomas01 wrote:BTW: I have set Barca as default mailer under preferences.
Those apps use MAPI to communicate with an email client.
Barca however doesn't use MAPI, due to the security risks involved, so that's why these can't email with Barca.
No trick here. :?

Hi,

hmm, ok, i understand. Wouldn't it be a good solution to let users select to activate mapi or not ?
Especially adobe and microsoft word are well known programs and almost everyone uses it. So also everyone would like to have this function i think. So a user-switch would be great !

What do you think ?
Thomas01
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:29 am

Hi Thomas,
Thomas01 wrote:hmm, ok, i understand. Wouldn't it be a good solution to let users select to activate mapi or not ?
Especially adobe and microsoft word are well known programs and almost everyone uses it. So also everyone would like to have this function i think. So a user-switch would be great !
What do you think ?
PSI has been thinking about that too.
If it can be implemented safely, it would be a valuable addition.
When? Only PSI knows. :wink:

p.s.: I don't use Adobe, but Foxit. 8)
Eric

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To