[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Howto send ALL email to JUNK that's NOT to 'me@mydom.com'?

Howto send ALL email to JUNK that's NOT to 'me@mydom.com'?

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Howto send ALL email to JUNK that's NOT to 'me@mydom.com'?

Postby maverick » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:48 am

I *really* need help!

I get hundreds of junk mails daily like this:

"to: info/webmaster/etc@mydomain.com"

I need to do the following:

(1) Send ALL such mail (whether to: or cc:) automatically to my JUNK mail folder (I check it once a day to see it doesn't contain any important / legitimate email).

(2) I also need to send all mail where I'm BCC'd to the JUNK mail folder (almost 100% of my received BCC'd email is junk).

(3) I also want to send to JUNK folder ALL mail from *@hotmail and *@yahoo where I do NOT have the sender in my main ADDRESS book.

HOW CAN I BEST DO EACH OF THESE?

Which ones are best handled using the BUILTIN Junk Mail tools? and which with scripts? and which with QUICK FILTERS?

Sorry but I am a total beginner when using these tools in Poco.

THANKS for any and all help!!

Maverick - drowning in many HUNDREDS of JUNK emails daily!
maverick
Poco Tourist

Postby Maximus » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:26 pm

O.K., we seem to have common problems. I have a catch-all domain and therefore get spam like crazy.

Try this for a start

Set up a filter using Poco (press F4).

1) all emails sent from people that you know or from domains you trust are delivered to in box and junk mail filtering is not done upon them using this rule
IF
FROM %addressbooks%
OR
FROM %exceptsenders% [see below PS2 on that later]
THEN
stop processing

2) Add specific rules to fight known spammed email addresses, i.e. send those mails directly to junk folder, e.g.

IF
TO info@yourdomain.com
OR
TO sales@yourdomain.com
OR
TO webmaster@yourdomain.com
OR
TO <...>
THEN
move message to junk mail

3) Add specific rules to block certain sender domains
IF
FROM @hotmail.com
OR
FROM @yahoo.com
THEN
move message to junk mail

2) Enable junk mail filtering on the rest of the emails. Press CTRL-F4 and click the top check box
This will add a second rule to the filter window (F4).

Adi

PS: I have started like that and over time I have added more sophisticated rules to filter emails sent by unknown addresses (e.g. new friends), so that those are sent to another non-junk-folder.... but that's the next step.

PS2: Add trusted domains to a white list (CTRL-F4, Word list, allowed senders). Sometimes companies send out their newsletters from various email addresses. You could therefore add "@ebay.com" (without quotation marks), and all emails from ebay are placed in your inbox. However, be careful with this kind of rule.
Maximus
Resident Poster

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To