[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Filtering blank Re: subject lines

Filtering blank Re: subject lines

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Filtering blank Re: subject lines

Postby cbiweb » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:37 pm

I've been getting a lot of spam with nothing but 'Re:' in the subject. It's the most common denominator between them all, so I tried filtering all email with only Re: in the subject, but it doesn't work. It not only filters the blank ones, but also the ones with legitimate Re: subjects.

Is there a way to do this?
cbiweb
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:44 am

The best I could think of is to filter for subject "Re:" UNLESS subject is "Re: " perform the action. (in other words, don't perform the action if there is one space after re:, as it means that there is probably some real subject following).
It might improve the flter, but probably will still be inaccurate.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby cbiweb » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:47 am

Brilliant! I had tried filtering only "Re:" (no spaces) or only "Re: " (with the extra space or multiple spaces to indicate blankness), but no go. When I applied your suggestion, it works like I want it to work! Thank you! :)

...and yes, I do understand now why my method was wrong. ;)
cbiweb
Poco Tourist

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To