[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - SPAM/JUNK filter and preload filters

SPAM/JUNK filter and preload filters

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

SPAM/JUNK filter and preload filters

Postby saoir » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:58 am

Do preload filters really get applied BEFORE other junk/spam filters are implemented ? I ask this because.....

My ISP filters my email and plants a ***SPAM*** into the subject of emails.

So I have a preload filters that simply erases such emails with that text in the subject. I have Junk mail switched on.

However I get regular warnings from Avast...about scripts appearing in emails... and many are emails with ***SPAM*** in the subject... implying that these have indeed been downloaded...

Is there any way to have them erased before download to save all this scanning time ?
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Re: SPAM/JUNK filter and preload filters

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:16 pm

Hi saoir,
saoir wrote:Do preload filters really get applied BEFORE other junk/spam filters are implemented ? I ask this because.....
Yes, these pre-download filters would normally work before the junk/spamfilters.
My ISP filters my email and plants a ***SPAM*** into the subject of emails.
So I have a preload filters that simply erases such emails with that text in the subject. I have Junk mail switched on.
:roll: Isn't that dangerous to set a pre-download filter on messages that your ISP marks as spam?
However I get regular warnings from Avast...about scripts appearing in emails... and many are emails with ***SPAM*** in the subject... implying that these have indeed been downloaded...
Is there any way to have them erased before download to save all this scanning time ?
If I'm correct on this one, I think Avast scans the messages on the server on checking mail, but your pre-download filters delete these in the same time.
Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:25 pm

That's what the help file says about pre-download:
Pre-Download - These filters act only on message headers, and not message bodies, before they are downloaded. Actions are limited with this "server side filtering" and the only recommended actions are delete, download and leave on server. Other aspects of "server side filtering" are discussed in Dealing with Junk Mail.
Eric

Postby frazmi » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:26 pm

Hi, saoir, good to "see" you again.

I've remember asking the same thing at one point, but the pre-download filters are working for me.

However, and this may be the problem, in order to kill the message, Poco has to download at least the headers in order to examine them. If you have the option to DL some message body lines with the headers (set in Encoding Options), then AV probably is reacting to the part of the message that Poco has requested. If this makes sense, you could set that particular option to 0.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby saoir » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:09 pm

Eric wrote:Isn't that dangerous to set a pre-download filter on messages that your ISP marks as spam?

Thanks for that Eric..... I found over a period of about a year that I didn't get a single good email marked as spam so I figure it's ok now. It's a forwarding ISP actually.... Netbox.com
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby saoir » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:10 pm

frazmi wrote:Hi, saoir, good to "see" you again.

I've remember asking the same thing at one point, but the pre-download filters are working for me.

However, and this may be the problem, in order to kill the message, Poco has to download at least the headers in order to examine them. If you have the option to DL some message body lines with the headers (set in Encoding Options), then AV probably is reacting to the part of the message that Poco has requested. If this makes sense, you could set that particular option to 0.

HI there Frazmi..... yes the preloads are working ok ....

I have searched PM options but cannot find that option you mention....
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:37 pm

saoir wrote:I have searched PM options but cannot find that option you mention....

Eric

Postby saoir » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:35 am

God how I hate when this happens ....:)

THANK you Eric.... I'll check it out ....
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:29 pm

Eric wrote:Hi saoir,
saoir wrote:My ISP filters my email and plants a ***SPAM*** into the subject of emails.
:roll: Isn't that dangerous to set a pre-download filter on messages that your ISP marks as spam?

You might consider adding a check to the filter such that they only act on messages from unknown senders (in fact you might also use the allowed senders list to allow such messages through). This won't protect you against people hijacking your known sender's accounts but it at least offers you a safety margin.
Michael

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To