[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - How would I do this with a junk mail filter?

How would I do this with a junk mail filter?

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

How would I do this with a junk mail filter?

Postby speerga » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:08 pm

Hi,

About 80 percent or more of the junkmail I get in poco comes from a single address, one which the spammers gobbled up a year or so ago, but I cannot afford to abandon it because of some business issues.

That address is, for example only, myname@mydomain.com.

There are about a dozen or so people who send legitimate email here, and they're all in my address book.

So how -- if there IS a way, that is! -- would I structure a filter to automatically send any email with "myname@mydomain.com" in the To or CC or BCC fields to my Junk folder -- EXCEPT if that mail is coming from someone in the address book??

If I could do this, I would eliminate several hundred spam a week.

My problem, I guess, is that I don't know the set up for the "EXCEPT" part to get anyone in my address book cleared.

Thanks,

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby SFCurley » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:19 pm

One of the reasons why Poco is sooo great is because it makes what you want to do very easy. Here's how to do it:

1) In the Filters window, create a new filter that reads:
Search From for %addressbooks% : Perform "Stop Processing this message". Make this the first filter in the list.

2) In the Filters window, create a new filter that reads:
Search Message Headers for "myname@mydomain.com" : Perform "Move message to Junk Mail" and "Stop Processing this message" -- in that order. Make this the second filter in the list.

That should do it.
SFCurley

Postby Michael » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:04 pm

Alternatively, setup a single filter in the "Incoming" tab, make sure the "Filter messages for" is set to the account associated with "myname@mydomain.com". In the search box select "From", in the "for" box select "Known senders", check the "Match only if not found" box. Set the "Perform" action to "move message to" and select "Junk Mail" as the mailbox. Position this filter at the top of your list.

This will filter any message sent to this account from someone who is not in your address book directly to the junk mail mailbox.
Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:06 pm

SFCurley wrote:1) In the Filters window, create a new filter that reads:
Search From for %addressbooks% : Perform "Stop Processing this message". Make this the first filter in the list.

There's one problem with this approach, it negates filtering for any known sender. This means that all their messages will end up in the "In" mailbox regardless of what other filters are in the list.
Michael

Postby SFCurley » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:10 am

Yep, Michael's approach is a better one.
SFCurley

Postby speerga » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:04 am

Is Pocomail good? Is this a great forum, or what??? Thanks. I'm going to give that a try today! I'll let you know how it works out.

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To