[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - CAN'T GET MAIL WITH 1.1!

CAN'T GET MAIL WITH 1.1!

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

CAN'T GET MAIL WITH 1.1!

Postby karsart » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:18 am

Not a good start. When I try to check for mail using Barca 1.1, I immediately get the following message: "LOGGING INTO MAIL.EARTHLINK.NET.POP SERVER. SOCKET ERROR #11001 HOST NOT FOUND"

Needless to say, I'm already beginning to miss my old semi-reliable Version 1.0.

What happened? :(

Since I posted the above, I re-installed 1.1 (no change) and then did a clean install (no change). I still can't receive mail-I get the same error message. Thank goodness I have webmail as a backup.

I hope someone has an answer out there!

Thanks
Art
karsart
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:51 am

Hi Art,

This is what I found when looking for socket error 11001
Analyse: Host Not Find.
Solutions: Please verify that the hostname/ip and the port are correctly written in the fields. No spaces in front etc. Also try using an direct IP instead of hostnames. also, try going to settings, windows update.
It seems Barca can't connect to your ISP.
Did they change something or else there's something wrong in your setup? :?
Eric

Postby robin » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:34 am

CAN'T GET MAIL WITH 1.1!
Posting in capital letters can be seen as SHOUTING. Maybe that wasn't what you intended, but we all know that shouting does not get us what we want.

MAIL.EARTHLINK.NET.POP
This doesn't look right - should it be MAIL.EARTHLINK.NET (without the POP on the end)?

I didn't have any problems upgrading to any version of BK.

You could also try a reboot: WinXP (which I assume you are using) is not quite as bullet proof as M$ would like you to believe.
robin

Still no Mail

Postby karsart » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:09 am

Sorry about the caps - frustrated and illI (bad combination)

I still cannot get mail (which I know I have because I check my webmail.) I don't recall changing anything between my months of use with 1.0 and now with 1.1

However, I need help big time. The following are my account settings. Can someone please let me know if there's an error that might be causing my problem? (By the way, I am an unfortunate Windows Me user). My settings are:

Name: my full first and last name
email: my regular email address (karsons AT earthlink.net)
Server: mail.earthlink.net
username: karsons
Password: my password
server type: POP
Box is checked to check this address for mail

By the way, outgoiong mail is set to read that it's from My first name along with my wife's first name followed by our last name (just in case this has something to do with anything)

Can anyone determine what might be wrong using the info above?

Thanks in advance for whatever you can do.

[Edit by Robin: disguised e-mail address]
Art
karsart
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:09 am

Are you using a Firewall that needs to be told about the new version of Barca?

Is Earthlink your ISP or do you use a different ISP and only use Earthlink for mail?

I can see the server: if I Ping it then mail.earthlink.net resolves to [207.217.121.214] so the host clearly is there and my system can find it (the ping doesn't work but maybe they have disabled their system to respond to Ping).

Go to a DOS box and type ping mail.earthlink.net. If it says that it is trying to connect to the number I put above then you can actually see the server. If ping says "Ping request could not find host..." then the problem lies not with Barca but elsewhere.

Try putting 207.217.121.214 instead of the earthlink address and see if this works (this is the IP address).

Try manually re-entering all the settings for this account.

Try setting up a new account for it and create the entries from new.

Try renaming the accounts.ini file in the Barca directory (say to accounts.ini.old) and then creating the new account.

Any other error messages? The same or different? Can you access the internet OK (you must be able to or you wouldn't be able to post these :? )

Try these and come back to us.

Of course it could just be that your ISP or Earthlink are having a bad day :)
robin

Still Coming up Empty

Postby karsart » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:39 am

Hi

Internet's no problem.

When I typed in DOS, it did say it couldn't find host...but...all my mail is coming through using the Earthlink address on my Earthlink Webmail and my NetScape webmail.

Plus, this was never a problem with PocoMail and subsequently Barca 1.0. This all happened immediately after I installed 1.1.

Also, when I typed in the numbers instead of the address, a new error message came up, reading:

"Logging into 207.217.121.214 POP server as user karsons
socket error #10050 network is down"

What do you think is happening? Earthlink seems to be OK...but I can't use Barca?

Thanks for any additional help / insight. I'm stumped.
Art
karsart
Drop-in Visitor

Postby COD » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:35 am

It's been a while since I was an earthlink customer - but I remember the login for the mail server was different than your email address. IIRC, mine was ELN/username. All the acquisitions they had done caused some goofy stuff with their network. That might all be fixed now - but the wrong username will certaintly cause problems logging into the mail server.
COD
Resident Poster

Still Nothing

Postby karsart » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:24 am

Thanks for all your suggestions, but, for whatever reason, switching to 1.1 immediately disabled my ability to check mail. Everything was fine minutes earlier.

One thought: Do the "Powers That Be" at PocoSystems have a way to retrieve my past info (like "username", etc). Or is there another way to find out what my exact info was?

Any port in a storm!

Thanks
Art
karsart
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Still Nothing

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:44 am

karsart wrote:One thought: Do the "Powers That Be" at PocoSystems have a way to retrieve my past info (like "username", etc). Or is there another way to find out what my exact info was?
What do you mean?
Your username is assigned by your ISP, so PSI can't give you this info. Only your ISP can give you this information.

btw Maybe a long shot, but did you install other programs before installing Barca 1.1? You didn't by any chance install Webroot Spy Sweeper, because it can block everything when you don't assign the parts in your firewall for Spy Sweeper.

Just a thought because I experienced the same before, until I found out how it worked. :)
Last edited by Eric on Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby tribble » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:46 am

I would look CLOSELY at the barca.ini file for any corruption, mistakes in username, hostname etc...

I have seen a corrupt ini file in the past that caused me similar problems but with Poco (before Barca was released).

If you're not sure what you're looking at, make a copy of the ini file. Delete passwords and username only (and any other personal information). Post here and we'll have a look.

Another likely culprit (as mentioned above) is a firewall that has not been configured to let this new version out (my software firewall is version specific).
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

ini and Spysweeper

Postby karsart » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:08 pm

Here are the ini fields from barca.bak.ini. (If you need the other one (program files), I'll send it, but I honestly feel bad enough about taking all this space up (I couldn't send it compressed or in folder form. btw, I've used SpySweeper for a long time and it never affected Barca or any other program.

Sorry if I sent more than I should have. Thanks so much for your kind offer to help!

[AddressBookWindow]
Left=0
Width=821
Top=0
Height=528
Col0=211
Col1=144
Col2=95
Col3=97
Col4=180
Col5=86
Art
karsart
Drop-in Visitor

Postby paulheu » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:45 pm

It's a shame the info we would need is not in barca.ini, but accounts.ini :wink:

Oh and you might wanna try storing the file somewhere and supplying a link..

and am I right in understanding you that when you now go back to 1.0 you can log in as before? (without changing anything to accounts.ini) ??
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:54 pm

karsart - you haven't answered my question yet about a firewall...! This still seems to me to be the most likely: something is stopping the NEW version of Barca from getting to the internet.
robin

Postby tribble » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:28 am

Unless the poster made a mistake in a copy and paste, the results of the barca.ini indicate duplicate entries! So assuming the poster DIDN'T make a mistake, the first thing I'd do is to delete this .ini file and let Barca recreate it.

Beyond that, the firewall question is STILL at issue...
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Firewall

Postby karsart » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:20 am

The problem is the same even when I completely dfisable my firewall. No change at all.

fyi - I've checked other email programs I've used (PocoMail, earthlink Total Access, and others, and my user-info is precisely identical to that in Barca 1.1.)

I don't know what good it does to mention that, other than it seems to validate the immediate "meltdown" upon installation of 1.1 (I continue to consider going back to 1.0, or just continuing to use my Earthlink WebMail (which continues to work flawlessly) along with a stand-alone PIM (of which there are many good ones available.

Thank you for your help! If anyone has a "lightbuilb" appear over their heads at 3am and know what the problem is and how I can use 1.1 , I will be eternally grateful! :)
Art
karsart
Drop-in Visitor

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To