[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Barca 1.1 (850) and Linux

Barca 1.1 (850) and Linux

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby jaxgtr » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:33 pm

Folks,

Just a note to let you know that I have successfully setup and have used Barca on Linux using Wine on Madrake 10.0 and Suse 9.1/9.2 just in case you were looking at using with a Linux flavor. Although it took a little tweaking to get it going.

I just grabbed the 3.0 version of Debian so I will follow up as I have success or failure.

Brian
Jacksonville, FL
PM\Barca user.
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:18 pm

Perhaps you will consider posting the details of the setup and third-party software requirement, if any, here. Thanks in advance.
Jim

Postby jaxgtr » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:19 pm

Quite honestly, Suse 9.2 worked right out of the gate with the most recent version of Wine, 20041019.

http://www.winehq.com/?announce=1.93

I had an issue with the SMTP server connection on Suse 9.1 and Mandrake. I could never nail it down so I upgraded Wine to version 20041019, it seemed to resolve the issue on Suse. I conclude it was an issue with Wine until I installed Mandrake.

Mandrake 10 had the same SMTP issue as well as an issue with the Authentication Type with my ISP. For some reason it kept dropping my Authentication Type from Login to Plain. Don't know how or why, but it would not stay on Login after I changed it. After I reinstalled Barca the Auth type remained in Login, but I still had a SMTP connection issues. I went through every possible idea to resolve but after 24 hours of screwing with it; wife and kids out of town, had nothing better to do, I took a shot in the dark and replaced the LAN driver. Nothing fancy, standard 3Com fast ether port.

Damn if it did not resolve the issue. At that point I was a little perplexed and decided that 24 hours was not enough and decided to reinstall Suse 9.1 with the prior version of Wine and the old Lan driver. I got the SMTP connection error again. I installed the new Lan driver and whoosh, SMTP connection issue resolved.

So for my next trick, figure out why a LAN driver would cause only a SMTP connection issue. For this, I am going to wait for when the Wife and Kids are gone for a weeks or so. They will come back and find a dehydrated and hungry man that hasn't seen the sun in a week wondering what day it is and wearing the same clothes as the day they left. :shock:

Hopefully this will give you an idea. Nothing major, but I guess if you are merging to different worlds, strange things will happen.

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby drjamie03 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:35 am

I miss Barca! I've made the switch to Linux recently (am using Xandros) but can't get it to work via wine or even with Cross Over. Anyone else have experience making it work? And any plans to make Barca available for Linux? Not having Barca is really the biggest thing I miss about Windows.
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby jaxgtr » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:46 am

I have not played around with any new versions of linux since my original post. I have had real good luck with Suse on most of my hardware, except the wireless card, but I believe a new driver is in the works.

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby whschreiber » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:23 pm

Having been a Poco/Barca user for 10 years and having switched to Linux about a year ago, I do not miss it. I was VERY happy with Barca, but Kontact (or even Evolution that I tried for some time) is a perfect replacement. The only difference I observe in every day use is that attached pictures are not displaced 'in the mail'. Furthermore there are different approaches to some features: rather than displaying icons for address entries you can see the picture of your e-mail partners -given you have assigned them, etc.
whschreiber
New Arrival

Wine supports Pocomail and Barca just fine ...

Postby dhave » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:44 am

I'm resurrecting a very old thread here, but I thought others who are doing a forum search might be interested in the fact that a number of people are running Pocomail and Barca very nicely on Linux using Wine (or, even easier, the Crossover Office version of Wine). I'm getting full functionality, performance and esthetics. I'd say Barca runs as well under Linux-Wine as it does natively under Windows XP.
- Que détestez-vous par-dessus tout?
- Dire qu'il est mal de dire du mal du mal.
(André Glucksmann)
dhave
Drop-in Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:58 pm

Interesting!

Last time I used PocoMail under Wine was several Wine version back. PocoMail ran quite well, but the esthetics was not as nice as in XP.

I know Wine is improving by leap and bounds. Maybe I'll update my Wine (not using it at the moment) and give it another run with PocoMail.

I have four PC's with a KVM Switch one of which is running XP, basically for PocoMail and a few other programs I favor, plus a few games. So it's not a real issue right now. Back when I was dual booting it was. :)
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Appearance good, but am having prob with attachments

Postby dhave » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:24 am

As far as the appearance of Barca under Wine (Crossover), I'll quote what I put in a related post elsewhere on this forum:

The fonts weren't quite as nice at first, but I was able to tweak them by going into the Windows registry (see instructions here).

One caveat: So far, I haven't been able to open or view attachments from within Barca (running under Crossover Office on Arch Linux). The attachments are saved in the folder that is designated in Options/Directories, but I have to drop out to Linux to view them or open them.

If anybody knows of a fix, I'd be interested. On the Crossover site, a support person suggested installing IE into the same bottle as Barca, but that didn't make any difference for me.

I can live with this limitation, since the attachment are handled properly otherwise and are in fact accessible. Still, it would be nice if I could access them directly from within Barca.
(André Glucksmann)
dhave
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Appearance good, but am having prob with attachments

Postby dhave » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:14 am

One caveat: So far, I haven't been able to open or view attachments from within Barca (running under Crossover Office on Arch Linux). The attachments are saved in the folder that is designated in Options/Directories, but I have to drop out to Linux to view them or open them.

If anybody knows of a fix, I'd be interested. On the Crossover site, a support person suggested installing IE into the same bottle as Barca, but that didn't make any difference for me.

I can live with this limitation, since the attachment are handled properly otherwise and are in fact accessible. Still, it would be nice if I could access them directly from within Barca.

A little more experimentation found that if I disable the Attachment Encoding option "Extract attachment from incoming email and save them to Attachments directory ...", I can view and/or open any attachments within Barca (under Wine/Crossover). This option is under Options / General Options / Encoding Options. With this method you have to manually save attachments to a named directory, but it does permit inline viewing (perhaps at the expense of a larger Inbox folder).
(André Glucksmann)
dhave
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Appearance good, but am having prob with attachments

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:46 pm

dhave wrote:On the Crossover site, a support person suggested installing IE into the same bottle as Barca, but that didn't make any difference for me.
That suggestion makes a lot of sense because a lot of programs use the IE engine. I have another program that will only work if IE is installed in Wine. So I use that application in XP, vise Linux.

PocoMail and Barca do not use IE, which is why it did not work. This is one of the reasons I like PocoMail.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 am

Chris is right.

If any dependancy, I'd try Windows Explorer. That's just a wild guess though. Your solution to leave attachments encoded inside messages is better.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to Barca Help and How-To