[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Mailboxes show oldest emails first--how to change?

Mailboxes show oldest emails first--how to change?

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Mailboxes show oldest emails first--how to change?

Postby zebra77 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:02 pm

Hi,

Whenever I switch from one mailbox to the other, it automatically goes to the oldest email in that box, rather than to the newest. So, every single time I have to page up to the top of the mailbox. I've dug around and cannot find where to switch this option. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks so much!!

zebra77
zebra77
Poco Tourist

Postby GHaavy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:38 pm

Hi zebra77,

In the header area of each mailbox, you'll note category names such as "Subject", "From", "Sent"... etc.

You can sort based upon each of these categories simply by clicking the respective title. For example, if you wanted to sort based upon the Subject line of each email message, clicking on "Subject" automatically sorts this category alphanumerically, starting with special characters, then numbers, then the letter "A". You will also note that this category will now have a down-arrow next to the word "Subject".

If you click "Subject" once more, the arrow will change from a "down-arrow" to an "up-arrow"... and now your email messages will be sorted from "Z" downward.

In your particular case, if you check the "Sent" category, I suspect you will see an "up-arrow" next to it. Simply clicking on this category once more should sort your messages according to when it was sent, starting with the most recent.

Regards,

Grant
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby GHaavy » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:20 am

:shock: !!

Sorry, Zebra77... I was just re-reading your message and realized this is not your problem!

I apologize!

Perhaps some of the more experienced users can answer this question.

Regards,

Grant
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for trying! Anyone else!

Postby zebra77 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:57 am

Thanks for trying, Grant! Can anyone else help me out on this?

Zebra77
zebra77
Poco Tourist

Postby COD » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:46 am

Turn off persistant sort?
COD
Resident Poster

How do I turn off persistent sort?

Postby zebra77 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:17 am

That sounds like that might do it, but I cannot seem to find where this "persistent sort" can be turned off Can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,

Zebra77
zebra77
Poco Tourist

Postby tallcangal » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:50 am

Go to Tools-->Options. From here, go to Reading Mail-->Index Options.
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Re: Mailboxes show oldest emails first--how to change?

Postby Pete » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:58 pm

zebra77 wrote:Whenever I switch from one mailbox to the other, it automatically goes to the oldest email in that box, rather than to the newest. So, every single time I have to page up to the top of the mailbox.

It sounds like you're talking about which message PocoMail selects rather than the sort order of the messages. If true, then note that PocoMail (and probably Barca) always selects the bottom-most message when you click on a mailbox. This happens every time that you restart PocoMail and every time that you delete all of a mailbox's messages and the mailbox later receives new messages while you're looking at a different mailbox.

There was discussion about this in the previous forums. Several of us would like PocoMail to default to the top-most unread message instead.
Pete

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:26 am

PocoMail does not "always select the bottom-most message when you click on a mailbox". Whether the top or bottom message is selected is your choice.

As someone already pointed out, see Tools > Options > Checking Mail. Then look under the Receiving Options. Further more, after you've entered and exited a mailbox, upon re-entry, PocoMail will select the last message that you clicked on while you were in that mailbox, neither top nor bottom.
Jim

Postby Pete » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:11 am

Thanks for the clarification, Jim. I just tested "Tools > Options > Checking Mail > New Messages To Top Of Index". Although this option doesn't actually put new messages at the top of the index for those of us who keep our mailboxes sorted in ascending chronological order, it does force PocoMail to default to the topmost message.

So our choices, then, are either the top or the bottom message when PocoMail chooses a default message.

My point is that some of us would like PocoMail to be more intelligent about this in a future version of PocoMail. I'll try to explain with an example:

I have a mailbox with 1,000 messages in it. Each day, after restarting PocoMail, the mailbox receives 100 messages while I'm away. When I return to my computer, I currently have two choices for when I click on the mailbox. (1) If PocoMail defaults to the top message, then I have to scroll down 1,000 messages to find the first new unread message. (2) If PocoMail defaults to the bottom message, then I have to scroll up 100 messages to find the first new unread message.

With either current option, there is extra work involved for us users that could be easily handled by PocoMail instead. Also consider that there could be ten or more of these mailboxes that people check each day (e.g. from newsgroups in email format) and one can see how tedious the current behavior is for some people.

I'm not sure why there has been so much resistance against this feature request. If some people don't need it, that's fine, but I don't understand why it seems like some people are purposefully trying to prevent PocoMail from changing in a way that would benefit some other people that use it.
Pete

Postby cervezas » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:04 am

If I understand what you're saying, I think the solution is simple. I have my mailboxes set to sort by Sent time in descending order and I have "New messages to top of list" selected. The result is that all my new messages show up at the top and the newest one is selected when I open a mail box. I've not had to do any kind of scrolling to bring the newest messages into view.

I think you just need to switch from ascending to descending order if you want the new messages at the top and don't want to scroll.

Conversely someone who wants their new messages showing up at the bottom of the list probably should be using ascending order, otherwise they'll always be scrolling.

David
cervezas
New Arrival

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:42 am

Pete wrote:My point is that some of us would like PocoMail to be more intelligent about this in a future version of PocoMail. I'll try to explain with an example:

I have a mailbox with 1,000 messages in it. Each day, after restarting PocoMail, the mailbox receives 100 messages while I'm away. When I return to my computer, I currently have two choices for when I click on the mailbox. (1) If PocoMail defaults to the top message, then I have to scroll down 1,000 messages to find the first new unread message. (2) If PocoMail defaults to the bottom message, then I have to scroll up 100 messages to find the first new unread message.

I'm not sure why there has been so much resistance against this feature request. If some people don't need it, that's fine, but I don't understand why it seems like some people are purposefully trying to prevent PocoMail from changing in a way that would benefit some other people that use it.

Thanks Pete. I doubt their is any resistance to any feature request. We certainly like to add features to/ make improvements to PocoMail as per user demands. However, that desire has to be balanced against reality, and the pros and cons of any addition/change has to be considered. The issues you raised are valid, and were discussed extensively in the old forum. I don't recall the details, but I believe a number of concerns were raised and you may be ignoring those concerns.

As cervezas pointed out, one can achieve most of the (implied) objective in your post by selecting the right permutation of the index setting and message preview pane sorting.
Jim

Thanks!

Postby zebra77 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:10 am

Jim,

Thanks for the answer you gave, above. It fixed the problem I was having--I'm very happy now!!

zebra77
zebra77
Poco Tourist

Postby SMessier » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:45 am

Jim wrote:PocoMail does not "always select the bottom-most message when you click on a mailbox". Whether the top or bottom message is selected is your choice.

As someone already pointed out, see Tools > Options > Checking Mail. Then look under the Receiving Options. Further more, after you've entered and exited a mailbox, upon re-entry, PocoMail will select the last message that you clicked on while you were in that mailbox, neither top nor bottom.

I just upgraded from Poco to Barca and am having the problem noted in the first post -- on every new start of Barca the first time I click on a folder I land on the oldest message, something which didn't happen with Poco.

I presume options have moved around in the last 3 years because I didn't manage find anything helpful under Tools > Options > Checking Mail. :?:
SMessier
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:25 am

SMessier wrote:I presume options have moved around in the last 3 years because I didn't manage find anything helpful under Tools > Options > Checking Mail. :?:
Indeed, some things have changed.
Look under Options > Interface Options. :)
Eric

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To