[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - cache directory---why are my attachments there?

cache directory---why are my attachments there?

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

cache directory---why are my attachments there?

Postby pako » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:50 am

Long-term Eudora user, now paid Barca/Poco user.

I realized this morning that my received attachments (properly directed in "options") are being held in "Cache."

Why? How to correct?
Attachments I received this morning were truncated, useless, and *in* cache.

I see most of the contents of cache are the silly gifs, etc., included in "cute" messages. Seems one should be able to "clear" cache occasionally...

What is/why is "cache?" Thanks
pako
Poco Tourist

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:08 am

If you don't want the benefits of the cache, then just set its size to zero in Barca's options. POOF....no cache.
Sandy

Postby pako » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:17 am

Thank you for your prompt reply!

Since I asked "what is cache?" how would I know whether I want to do "without the benefits of cache?"

Why are truncated attachments in cache and not in the "attach" directory?
pako
Poco Tourist

still wondering...

Postby pako » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:36 am

Apparently, although I may *benefit* from the "cache" directory (only response to original question that continues unanswered), no one knows or cares to explain WHY my attachments are there rather than in the assigned "attachment" folder?
pako
Poco Tourist

Re: cache directory---why are my attachments there?

Postby Pete » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:39 am

pako wrote:I realized this morning that my received attachments (properly directed in "options") are being held in "Cache."

Why? How to correct?

[...]

I see most of the contents of cache are the silly gifs, etc., included in "cute" messages. Seems one should be able to "clear" cache occasionally...

What is/why is "cache?" Thanks

[...]

Why are truncated attachments in cache and not in the "attach" directory?

Note that my response is based on my experiences with PocoMail, and I'm assuming that the same information applies to Barca.

I believe that PocoMail normally only saves attachments to the "Attach" folder if you disable "Tools > Options > Encoding Options > When receiving attachments, leave attachments encoded inside messages". If you do this, PocoMail will automatically decode attachments and save them to the Attach folder while it's downloading new messages from your email provider.

Otherwise, PocoMail puts all attachments in the Cache folder, BUT, it only does this if you run an attachment by double-clicking on it in the Attachment Pane.

The Attach folder is "permanent". That is, PocoMail does not delete attachments there until you delete the corresponding email message.

On the other hand, attachments in the Cache folder are temporary. It doesn't matter if PocoMail deletes attachments in the Cache folder because in this case, the original attachment remains encoded with the original email message in the PocoMail mailboxes. Files in the Cache folder stay there until the total size of all of the files exceeds 500 KB (by default), then PocoMail deletes as many files as necessary until the total size is below 500 KB. I assume that PocoMail deletes the oldest files first, although I've never tested this.

As long as you do not have an attachment open in a separate program, you can safely delete the attachment in the Cache folder. This is not necessary, however.

While I"m on the subject, I should also say that PocoMail sometimes writes "supported attachments" to your Windows temp folder (this may be limited to image files and PocoMail may only do this for those of us who don't decode attachments to the Attach folder). For example, if you click on a message in the Index Pane so that PocoMail displays the message in the Preview Pane, and if the example message contains a JPG image, then PocoMail will save the image to the Windows temp folder and display the image in the Preview Pane. Then, when you click on a different message in the Index Pane, PocoMail deletes the temporary image file from your Windows temp file.

All of this information is based on tests that I've done with PocoMail a while ago. It's probably still accurate, but then again, PSI releases new versions of PocoMail and Barca on a regular basis, and only they can give you an "official" response.
Pete

Postby pako » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:51 am

I believe that PocoMail normally only saves attachments to the "Attach" folder if you disable "Tools > Options > Encoding Options > When receiving attachments, leave attachments encoded inside messages". If you do this, PocoMail will automatically decode attachments and save them to the Attach folder while it's downloading new messages from your email provider.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I appreciate the time and effort to answer at length!
I have disabled the encoding options and hope now to see attachments WHERE I expect them to be! :D
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
pako
Poco Tourist

Return to Barca Help and How-To