[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - importing Outlook calendar

importing Outlook calendar

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

importing Outlook calendar

Postby drjamie03 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:51 am

I can't figure out how to import Outlook calendar items into Barca. I am using Outport, but it exports each calendar event as a separate file...meaning I'd need to repeat the process of importing items almost 600 times! There must be an easier way...
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby tallcangal » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:02 am

When using Outport, the easiest way to transfer everything at once is by using the Evolution format. By doing it this way, it's not in individual files but rather one.
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Postby Sandy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:25 am

Another way is to go ahead and create the 600 files then go to a DOS box and use the copy command to concatenate them all into one single file. Takes about 2 minutes all told and works....I've done it.
Sandy

Postby Kaigan » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:36 am

Another small program originally written for the IPod called "Outpod" works very nicely and gives you the option of saving individually or as one file. Also lists all the calendar items allowing you to chose those you want.
The program "Outpod 0.4" can be found here:

http://outpod.stoer.de/

Peter
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby davidg80 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:56 pm

I have tried both Outport and Outpod and neither accomplish the job. It seems at least one of the problems is that vCalendar does not accept recurring entries. Another I think is that it sets all items to be reminded. In my case I have 3000+ entries and that alone would cause Barca to freeze or crash.

Surely the simplest way to do this is if Barca would accept csv files. It would then be possible to align the entries in Outlook with the relevant ones in Barca.

For me there is no point in transferring to Barca if I cannot import my Outlook entries. It looks like my trial period is going to expire before this solution is presented, in which case I will not be buying Barca.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby drjamie03 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:40 am

Hmm. Interesting. Several people commented about the recurring entries, and I just looked at my calendar in Barca, and the recurring entries are there. I used Outport and exported the entries using the Evolution setting.
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby davidg80 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:47 am

I have just tried that again with mine, and although Output does it without any errors, Barca cannot cope with it. It just freezes and offers to send a report in which I cancel as I have wasted time doing that before.

Looking at my calendar in Outlook (98) I see that somewhere along the line it has quadrupled some entries. Outlook seems fine with that, but maybe Barca is falling over on that. Maybe I should go through 10 years of entries and sort it, or maybe I have a life <g>.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby davidg80 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:14 am

I have now been through my Outlook calendar and deleted all the multiple entries. This has now been exported using Outport (Evolution Calendar) without error.

Then imported it to Barca which is did without crashing, however there is no evidence of the of any of the information there. The whole calendar is totally blank. Just to make sure I uninstalled Barca, deleted the folder and re-installed. No difference

Can someone tell me what is going wrong here please.

David
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby tallcangal » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:33 am

I found out the same thing after importing the calendar from Evolution format. However, after closing Barca, rebooting the computer, and opening Barca again, all the calendar entries were present.

If you tried this and it didn't work, what I might suggest for it to work is to do a registry clean because there may be some stray entries affecting this.
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Postby davidg80 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:28 am

Thanks

I did think of that but only to the point of shutting Barca down and restarting. Have tried rebooting - no effect.

Have now un-installed, deleted folder, cleaned the registry and re-installed. Still nothing even rebooting again.

When you say clean registry, I assume just remove Barca entries or are there some others that need to be removed?
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:39 am

davidg80 wrote:When you say clean registry, I assume just remove Barca entries or are there some others that need to be removed?
:idea: I think tallcangal meant to clean your registry by using a regcleaner to remove obsolete entries, broken links and so on. Even using a registry optimizer can be helpful.
Eric

Postby davidg80 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:55 am

I don't see why doing that would stop Barca from displaying the imported calendar, it is in any case a recent clean install of Win 2k sp4.

It really should not be so hard to import some entries into this program. If it was still beta I could understand it, but as it stands it does not justify a purchase.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:25 am

davidg80 wrote:It really should not be so hard to import some entries into this program. If it was still beta I could understand it, but as it stands it does not justify a purchase.
It's only version 1.0, so expect to have some bugs. Almost every first software release has bugs. Even Windows when it was first released, had bugs and still has now with XP.
:) PSI will do their best to release a new update by eliminating most bugs and adding certain features requested by users.
I'm also a Barca user and IMO they've done a great job on this first release. :D
Eric

Postby davidg80 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:33 pm

I take your point, but you are missing mine.

I said in its present state it does not justify a purchase for me.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:46 pm

davidg80 wrote:I take your point, but you are missing mine.
I said in its present state it does not justify a purchase for me.
No offense intended, but there's always the 45-day trial period. :wink:
Eric

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To