[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - importing Outlook calendar

importing Outlook calendar

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby tallcangal » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:56 pm

Yes Eric, I did mean using a RegCleaner and all. I had problems initially with Barca as well with this. For me, doing an uninstall, entire regclean and fix, reinstalled and all, things were all good.

I thought it was the program as well and PM Systems even asked for me to mail my ini files so they can see what was wrong. I don't know if they came to any conclusions or anything, but it works now.

And yes, there are bugs in Barca and I totally agree with Eric. A first version is a risk to take; however, the same is true for doing Beta tests. All is a risk. On the other hand, Barca is fairly stable and no major issues to not stop me from purchasing this soon to replace Outlook. Give it time and Barca will be a fabulous PM. It will be fun to use it and experience the process she shall go through. :D
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Postby davidg80 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:42 am

No offense intended, but there's always the 45-day trial period

None taken. I was just trying to make the point that in its present state it does not warrant me converting to it. I don't really want to run two diary systems, and it is not worth putting any into Barca as in the end it may not perform as well as Outlook, and I may stay as I am with Poco as my mailer.

Hopefully there are some ammendments in progress that will address these points.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby davidg80 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:46 am

I have been through all the options with un & re-installing Barca - removing folders, cleaning registry etc.

Now I am examing the files in Barca, particular the Calendar folder where Calendar.dat resides. This I have opened in notepad and all the information I imported is there, but is not recognised by Barca. I added a new entry in Barca then looked at it in notepad.

Below I have listed the last two entries where 1167 is the last import and 1168 is the new one. To make it simpler I have only listed the lines that differ. The old and new are on alternate lines

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[1167]
[1168]

EventID=20040809T175758-864-1244-1267-7073@localhost
EventID=780BE95C-0507-4FA9-8D73-465BD5154D5C

StartDate=0
StartDate=3821000000

Subject=
Subject=Testing Barca two

Priority=9
Priority=

Notes=
Notes=Testing barca

Reminder=0
Reminder=1

ReminderTime=
ReminderTime=7:00 pm

ReminderDate=0
ReminderDate=3821000000

CreatedOn=3820874858
CreatedOn=3802879633

StartTime=12:00 am
StartTime=7:00 PM

EndDate=0
EndDate=3821000000

EndTime=12:00 am
EndTime=7:30 pm

AlarmLeadIndex=1
AlarmLeadIndex=0

ShowTimeAs=
ShowTimeAs=
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It would seem that Barca is either not importing correctly or Outport is not correct.
If I change the entries of 1167 to those of 1168 then Barca will show the entry

Does this make any sense to anyone or more importantly what is going wrong.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:25 am

davidg80 wrote:
It would seem that Barca is either not importing correctly or Outport is not correct.
If I change the entries of 1167 to those of 1168 then Barca will show the entry

Does this make any sense to anyone or more importantly what is going wrong.

Are the formats of an imported appointment and a Barca created appointment the same? When you look in Notepad, do the imported appointments/tasks have entries for start date and end date? It is important to make sure the data you are importing conforms to icalendar standard. Barca looks for data that conforms to that standard.
Jim

Postby davidg80 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:53 am

Are the formats of an imported appointment and a Barca created appointment the same? When you look in Notepad, do the imported appointments/tasks have entries for start date and end date? It is important to make sure the data you are importing conforms to icalendar standard. Barca looks for data that conforms to that standard.

I used Outport Evolution Calendar which produces an ics file, someone else here has used that export successfully. I am enclosing the first entry from the ics file so you can judge for yourself. Just noticed it is using the Gregorian Calendar - does that have any effect?
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
PRODID:-//Ximian//NONSGML Evolution Calendar//EN
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:/studio.org/Olson_20011030_5/Europe/London
X-LIC-LOCATION:Europe/London
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
TZOFFSETFROM:+0000
TZOFFSETTO:+0100
TZNAME:BST
DTSTART:19700329T010000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTH=3;BYDAY=-1SU;INTERVAL=1
END:DAYLIGHT
BEGIN:STANDARD
TZOFFSETFROM:+0100
TZOFFSETTO:+0000
TZNAME:GMT
DTSTART:19701025T020000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTH=10;BYDAY=-1SU;INTERVAL=1
END:STANDARD
END:VTIMEZONE
BEGIN:VEVENT
UID:20040809T175731-864-1244-1267-5907@localhost
DTSTAMP:20040809T175731Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
SEQUENCE:0
PRIORITY:9
CLASS:PUBLIC
END:VEVENT

Hopefully I have extracted the relevant bit
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:19 pm

Something is wrong with the Calendar format. As per my initial post, there is no end date for each event. You also claimed you copied the first event, but you have two start dates under the same entry.

Given that others used Outport successfully, at this point I suggest the following:
1. Talk to the makes of Outport regarding the format of the your data
2. Send the extracted file to PSI support.

If you opt for option 2, keep in mind that because this involves a third-party product, it will take time- which could be weeks- before they can get back to you.
Jim

Postby Sandy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:21 pm

Given that others used Outport successfully.....

There have also been others of us that have not been able to use Outport successfully. For what ever reasons, I found that sufficiently complex events simply did not export from Outlook properly using Outport. Clearly, a bad file created by Outport will not import properly to Barca. You can't fault Barca there: garbage in, garbage out. You can't blame Outport either since it was not designed to handle anything systematically exceptimporting to Evolution.

Someone on this board suggested a program callled Outpod. It looks superior to me to Outport, but I haven't done anything yet except preliminary testing.
Sandy

Postby davidg80 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:26 pm

Thanks Jim

I have really wasted enough time on this now. Outlook is a major program and feel that it is up to the developers of Barca to provide a suitable means of transferring the information from Outlook if that is the program they are competing with.

Outlook does provide many forms of output which Barca should be able to accept.

For the time being I am ditching Barca until they have made progress in that direction.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:55 am

[quote="davidg80"]Thanks Jim

I have really wasted enough time on this now. Outlook is a major program and feel that it is up to the developers of Barca to provide a suitable means of transferring the information from Outlook if that is the program they are competing with.

Outlook does provide many forms of output which Barca should be able to accept.
quote]

David, please do send the file along as we may be able to learn something from it. An item on our ToDo list is the additition of Calendar import to the POImport utulity.
Jim

Postby davidg80 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:36 am

David, please do send the file along as we may be able to learn something from it. An item on our ToDo list is the additition of Calendar import to the POImport utulity

Normally I would oblige Jim, but there is personal information there that I do not want to go wandering. I am sure that you would respect that but it is not something I am prepared to do.

I hope you will keep us posted on the POImport utulity. I am sure that I am not the only one who is waiting on that before going further.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby davidg80 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:11 am

Had second thoughts.

I have produced a dummy file in Outlook which I imported from a CSV file. Then used Outport (Ev Cal) to import to Barca. Only contains a couple of entries. Still the same problem with Barca.

If you like I could send this and also the csv file that it came from.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Previous

Return to Barca Help and How-To