[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Added new user, now Barca won't launch

Added new user, now Barca won't launch

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Added new user, now Barca won't launch

Postby cervezas » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:15 am

After importing everything from a PocoMail installation I noticed that the Today screen showed my wife's name instead of my own in the greeting. I figured it got that because I had her email account as one of the available ones (though it was not the default, nor even at the top of the list of accounts to check in my Poco install--it's almost never used). So, first thing is to ask that the import feature be fixed so that it correctly imports which email account is the default.

Anyway, after resetting the default acccount I noticed that Barca still thought I was my wife. That's when I did something stupid. Looking around for a place to change that setting I came across a dialog for adding users and setting the default user. Sounded promising, so I added a new user with my own name (the only other entry was "default user" as I recall) and I set the new name as the default user for Barca. Clicked save... Barca silently closed... and that's the last I've seen of it. Now if I try to launch Barca nothing happens. Guess I shouldn't have done that, huh? :( Although surely this is a bug in that screen for managing users that needs to be fixed.

Browsing through the directories in my Barca installation I can see that most of the .ini files are simple paired values or CSV files, and I can use a text editor to make a manual fix if someone who knows the inner workings of Barca can tell me what to do. I'm reluctant to do any more experimenting!

David
cervezas
New Arrival

Re: Added new user, now Barca won't launch

Postby cervezas » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:47 am

cervezas wrote:Clicked save... Barca silently closed... and that's the last I've seen of it. Now if I try to launch Barca nothing happens. Guess I shouldn't have done that, huh?

OK, not quite the disaster I described: after I closed a bunch of windows I found a dialog that was sitting underneath all of them that was prompting me to set up a new account (like the first time you launch Barca). Since Barca was not in my task bar and I hadn't bothered to check in Windows Task Manager I assumed that it was not running when it was.

But now I don't have access to any of the email or contact info I had imported earlier, or anything else imported from PocoMail for that matter. So I figure, how about if I leave well enough alone and go back to being logged in as "default user" instead of "David"? I click "change user" from the File menu, select default user, save... and sure enough Barca closes and then relaunches. Now I can see all my imported stuff and it even properly recognizes my name. But I get an error message: "Unable to write to Calendar\PlannerDefs.ini." There's an option to send an email reporting the problem, which I choose, but then a Windows error comes on the screen sysing "Barca has encountered a problem and needs to close." Finally, before closing, another Windows error: "Access violation at address 0040434C in module 'Barca.exe'. Read of address 0000000E."

There were several more errors before I was finally able to close the application. Finally, after closing and relaunching it seems to be OK. So for now I seem to be alright, but there are definitely some issues that need to be dealt with.

David
cervezas
New Arrival

Return to Barca Help and How-To