[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Clean install and complete removal of old install

Clean install and complete removal of old install

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Clean install and complete removal of old install

Postby Patrick Sutton » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:59 pm

:roll: I have been having various recurring problems and have been advised by Jim Dada to do a complete removal/reinstallation of Braca.

I tried it in the original directory but the problem still persisted so I put it in a new directory and so far eveything seems fine. My question is three fold:
1.) is there a way to clean up all traces of Barca from the initial install in the c:\program files directory so that I can put a fresh install back there? if not, will the old files cause any problems with the new installation? Jim said something about cleaning out my registry, but I am not too sure how to go about that.
2.) If I continue to have problems (this is my second corruption issue in a month), am I going to have to keep creating new directories and doing fresh installs?
3.) Does anyone have any ideas why my Barca files keep getting corrupted? I am running XP pro on a new Dell 8600 and have Norton Internet Security and Antivirus.

Thanks in advance for any and all help - I REALLY like Barca and am excited to get these problems behind me.

Sincerely,
Patrick Sutton
Patrick Sutton
Poco Tourist

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:07 pm

Glad i read your post!
It consoles me to the thought that i'm not the only one to have experienced corrupt BARCA files. No, i don't know why it happens (i'm on Win98SE), hopefully next version will have that problem ironed out. In the meantime... really hesitate to make it my default client. Calendar is handy but with this problem and others... :roll:
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Re: Clean install and complete removal of old install

Postby robin » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:32 pm

Hi Patrick

Patrick Sutton wrote:1.) is there a way to clean up all traces of Barca from the initial install in the c:\program files directory so that I can put a fresh install back there? if not, will the old files cause any problems with the new installation? Jim said something about cleaning out my registry, but I am not too sure how to go about that.
Poco and Barca both have the huge advantage that - if you use the default install - they only write files into that directory and not many of them at that (no DLLs scattered all over the place). This means that to erase all traces of Barca you simply delete the directory and all those underneath it.

I've never found problems with installing over the top of a previous install but it is not the recommended way of doing it.

I've never been too sure about this "cleaning the registry" stuff. The only stuff that seems to get written there is the licence code and the installed path to the executable - I guess this is what is meant but I don't see it as "cleaning the registry" - these entries are fairly easy to find by searching on 'Barca'.

2.) If I continue to have problems (this is my second corruption issue in a month), am I going to have to keep creating new directories and doing fresh installs?
Hopefully you won't keep having these problems!

3.) Does anyone have any ideas why my Barca files keep getting corrupted? I am running XP pro on a new Dell 8600 and have Norton Internet Security and Antivirus.
"No" is the simple answer here, and part of the problem with that is that it is not clear exactly what is meant by "corrupted". I've been using Barca on WinXPPro since it was in beta without any of these problems so it is not a specific Barca problem, more likely to be some kind of interaction issue.
robin

Postby Patrick Sutton » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:05 pm

Hi Robin -

thank you very much for your reply. The corruption issues I am having are always the same ones. Basically, I get duplicate emails, large blocks of email messages simply "vanish" form my mailboxes (Jim told me they are working on that), I constantly get these "error in barca address read xxxxxxxxxx" messages. At one point, the program was sending them to the tech support team 6-8 times a day, but I stopped the program from sending them.

When I uninstalled Barca from the program files directory and then reinstalled it, the problems persisted so I out a fresh install in a new directory and everything seemed fine. Just now, though, I realized that Barca for some reason is not getting the emails off of the server. I just happened to check it a few minutes ago and saw quite a few emails on the server. When I manually tell it to get the emails and select "process", it retrieves them and downlaods them fine. This is a new issue for me as I did not have this particular problem in the past.

Thanks -

Patrick
Patrick Sutton
Poco Tourist

Postby davidg80 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:36 pm

I've never been too sure about this "cleaning the registry" stuff. The only stuff that seems to get written there is the licence code and the installed path to the executable - I guess this is what is meant but I don't see it as "cleaning the registry" - these entries are fairly easy to find by searching on 'Barca'.

I am not too sure about this. I did a clean install of Barca ie. I uninstalled it, deleted its folder, removed all references to Barca in the registry, but after re-installing it when I went to import the calendar file it remembered where it was, so there must be some other details being stored somewhere. Can anyone help on this please.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:40 pm

Patrick Sutton wrote:Hi Robin -

thank you very much for your reply. The corruption issues I am having are always the same ones. Basically, I get duplicate emails...
Thanks -

Patrick

idem here!

Jean-François Godin suggested i delete them from the server!
But i need those messages!

Have re-installed since and everything is okay now.
Think this duplication issue started out when i first clicked on "Accounts online" folder. Haven't put them back yet. Am rather hesitant. Hate duplicate messages. Was the occasional problem with Poco too!
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:10 am

davidg80 wrote:... it remembered where it was, so there must be some other details being stored somewhere.
In what way did you see this?
robin

Postby davidg80 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 am

Hate duplicate messages. Was the occasional problem with Poco too!

Now you come to mention it I do sometimes get that in Poco. I thought that it was my error. Seems to happen mostly, though can't be sure, if I do not close Poco manually. If Windows shuts it, it does not close cleanly.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:21 am

MonBidoux wrote:Think this duplication issue started out when i first clicked on "Accounts online" folder. Haven't put them back yet. Am rather hesitant. Hate duplicate messages. Was the occasional problem with Poco too!
I've not used "Accounts on-line" before which may explain why I don't see it. I've enabled it for now - let's see what happens. I see from previous posts that you use IMAP, I don't - Do you, David?
robin

Postby davidg80 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:53 am

I see from previous posts that you use IMAP, I don't - Do you, David?

No I don't. Not something I know anything about. Closest I get is viewing the server online, but that is rare.

Just thought my reply was a bit terse, wasn't meant to be <g>
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:22 am

davidg80 wrote:Just thought my reply was a bit terse, wasn't meant to be <g>
No problems with terse replies around here - efficiency in bandwidth :D
robin

Postby GHaavy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:27 am

Sorry to jump in, but I'm using an online POP3 account here at work (which I manage), and I had thought the duplicate email issue was related to viewing my messages through the related webmail pages.
I haven't tried to confirm this, though, since I thought it was a limited occurrence.

At any rate, I always seemed to get duplicate emails after checking my email through the web page. Starting up my email client afterwards, would then occasionally cause messages saved on the server to be re-downloaded. It didn't always happen, though.

The reason why I didn't think it was related to Barca, was because this happened to me, first, within Mozilla's mail client.

This is just food for thought... I'm not really sure this has any bearing on your current problems (sorry if it doesn't) :oops:

- Grant
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby davidg80 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:41 am

Barca does do a lot of things when it installs and I am not sure if they all come out. There is an old program (freeware) originally by PC Mag called Inctrl5. It monitors the installation of any program and gives a report, not all of which I understand. Don't think it works on XP. If anyone is interested you can find it here
http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/Content ... 05/38.html

item 1351

Also there is a registry cleaner you can find here
http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-downlo ... ner4.3.htm

that found entries left by Barca.

Don't know if this will sort any of the problems, but maybe the experts here could give an opinion.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby tallcangal » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:02 am

It is a very tough one to figure out what the exact root of the problem is. There is a related issue as well about restoring/uninstalling and all that can be found here http://pocosystems.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127

For me, deleting the directory and doing a regclean with a few programs and reinstalling seemed to do the fix.
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To