[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - reply with template keeping original message

reply with template keeping original message

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

reply with template keeping original message

Postby Troto » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:56 am

Hi all !

How can i reply to a message using a template but keep the original message ?

thanks
Troto
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Les Armitage » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:17 am

If you want to reply with templates and quote the original message and then us this methodology lots the scripts are the best..
Les Armitage
Poco Tourist

Postby Troto » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:25 am

Darn it. I'll start writeing it tomorrow.

This should really be some option to set this
Troto
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:36 am

Troto wrote:Darn it. I'll start writeing it tomorrow.

This should really be some option to set this

It's easier than you think. All you have to include in the template is nothing more than %body%. With the help file, you may find that this script thing is for us novice users also.
Jim

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:40 am

Jim wrote:It's easier than you think. All you have to include in the template is nothing more than %body%.
:oops: Indeed, something I missed before, and it works better then Eudora.
Eric

Postby Troto » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:07 am

Yeah, it's easy, but i want it to be formated as an original message (colors and stuff)
Troto
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:09 am

Les Armitage wrote:If you want to reply with templates and quote the original message and then us this methodology lots the scripts are the best..
You all right Les? Have to say that didn't make a lot of sense :lol:
robin

Postby Pete » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:24 pm

Troto wrote:Yeah, it's easy, but i want it to be formated as an original message (colors and stuff)

Barca/PocoMail do not have the capability to retain all of the formatting when you reply to a Styled message. As far as I know, this is also true for reply templates.
Pete

Postby robin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:16 pm

Troto wrote:Yeah, it's easy, but i want it to be formated as an original message (colors and stuff)
That's not as easy as you might think and would require a number of decisions to be made during the reply process. Basically a styled message is an HTML message, and should comply with HTML standards (such as having <HEAD> and <BODY> sections). Within the <BODY> sections will be all the formatting that you might expect to see in a web page, with tables, paragraphs, style sheets and the rest. Now you might say "yeah- but all my e-mails just have colour and font in them, not the rest" but how does Poco / Barca deal with that? Strip just some of it out, and which? And where does it then add your reply back in to this mess?
robin

Postby Pete » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:18 am

While I agree that it's no simple task for computer programmers to write a modern email client, this requested feature does not seem very difficult compared to some of the other things that the programmers had to do to make PocoMail work as well as it does today.

In fact, I think that PocoMail/Barca already has the intelligence to handle this, but that it simply hasn't been "finished" for the case when people reply to Styled messages. I say this because you can bounce a highly styled message and PocoMail retains almost all of the formatting (the only exception that I've seen so far is that it "throws away" the background image).

Rather, I'd say that it's a matter of priorities, and this has not been a high priority.
Pete

Postby Troto » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:27 am

composing HTM messages will be cool to see. it's hard to write email programs.. it's true. but i belive that barca/pocomail will be the best. it's only the first version of barca.. others go long time back
Troto
Drop-in Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To