[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Palm sync help please? [Mod: Resolved]

Palm sync help please? [Mod: Resolved]

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Palm sync help please? [Mod: Resolved]

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 pm

I have been a happy Poco user for several years, and a happy Palm V user for even longer. I currently use the Palm desktop and while it isn't great it sort of works.

With the new Poco4/Barca2 releases I thought it time to try out Barca and see what happens before I pay my upgrade money.

I downloaded Barca2 & the Palm sync installed both and set up the sync so the handheld overwrote Barca and waited.

Lots appeared to be hapopening but upon opening Barca, nothing was there.

The following was in the sync log:

HotSync operation started 10/26/05 09:37:46
Barca install path: C:\Program Files\Barca
Barca Calendar conduit version 1.00
Opening HH databases
OK
Opening PC records
OK
Reading from INI file
OK
Synchronizing
Import Sync
Error
Appts: 919
Appt #1 - Check Skoda
Calc alarm date and time...
Recurring event...
RepeatType=2 Rule=1 RuleType=0...
Has an exception set...
Check for no repeat end date..
Write to String Builder
Appt #2 - IBC
Calc alarm date and time...
Error
Barca Calendar conduit complete with 9 errors.
Error in WriteHHApptToPC. Appt # Error #-2147217887 - Multiple-step operation generated errors. Check each status value.
Error in WriteHHApptToPC. Appt # Error #-2147217887 - Multiple-step operation generated errors. Check each status value.
Error in WriteToINIFile. Error #94 - Invalid use of Null
Record #2 (appt)
Start date: 08/09/2006
Start time: 12:00 AM
End date: 08/09/2006
End time: 12:00 AM
Calculating alarm date and time
No alarm set
end of record
Error in
Additional debug data: C:\Program Files\Barca\Calendar\DebugLog.csv
Mail - sync configured to Do Nothing
Barca Contacts conduit version 1.00
Opening HH databases
OK
Opening PC records
OK
Reading from CSV file
OK
Synchronizing
Import Sync
Error
600 contacts
0 groups
Error
Barca Contacts conduit completed with 2 errors.
Error in WriteHHRecordToPC. Rec # Err #-2147217887 - Multiple-step operation generated errors. Check each status value.
Error in
Additional debug data: C:\Program Files\Barca\Address\DebugLog.csv
Barca Notes conduit version 1.00
Opening HH databases
OK
Opening PC records
OK
Reading from CSV file
OK
Synchronizing
Import Sync
OK
Writing back to CSV file
83 notes
Barca Notes conduit completed with 0 errors.
OK Expense
-- Backing up db Saved Preferences to file C:\Program Files\Palm\CumminI\Backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC
OK System
HotSync operation complete 10/26/05 09:39:34

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Ian
Ian
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:16 pm

:!: Palm sync is Beta, so it's due to have bugs.
Have a look at this topic too. :wink:
Eric

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:22 pm

Thansk Eric,

Guess I'll have to wait - I'll look forward to the betas!

Ian
Ian
Poco Tourist

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:23 pm

Next question!

Having decided to wait, I now need to uninstall the Palm sync so I can get it to sync with my Palm Desktop as I appear no longer to have that option in the HotSync manager.

I have a slight problem with the PC that it is running on in that I cannot view the Windows Control Panel to get to uninstall it (if it is indeed there). My PC seems to get stuck when running any .cpl application.

Can anyone help please?

Ian

Edit: Having poked about a bit, would it work just to remove the directory under my palm user (C:\Program Files\Palm\CumminI\Barca) and reboot?
Ian
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:38 pm

Ian wrote:Thansk Eric,
Guess I'll have to wait - I'll look forward to the betas!
You're welcome Ian. :wink:
Next question!
Having decided to wait, I now need to uninstall the Palm sync so I can get it to sync with my Palm Desktop as I appear no longer to have that option in the HotSync manager.
Best to uninstall it using the Control Panel or isn't there an uninstall.exe in the folder where you installed it?
It's been too long, so I can't remember. :?
I have a slight problem with the PC that it is running on in that I cannot view the Windows Control Panel to get to uninstall it (if it is indeed there). My PC seems to get stuck when running any .cpl application.
Best would be to reinstall Palm Desktop afterwards, because it hosed my system to during the alpha tests.
I only hope you won't have to reinstall all the other conduits too, like I had to do.
Like I said it's a beta, so best take precautions.
Always make a backup of your system before installing betas.
Learned my lesson now, so I'm using True Image 8 or you could use something similar. :wink:
Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:41 pm

Ian wrote:Edit: Having poked about a bit, would it work just to remove the directory under my palm user (C:\Program Files\Palm\CumminI\Barca) and reboot?
No, that won't work I guess. :?
You need to clean the registry too & reboot.
Use a registry cleaner or edit the registry and delete the keys of the Palm sync.
:!: Careful, make a backup before performing the above.
Eric

Postby Ian » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:36 am

A re-install of Palm desktop did it.

Thanks for all the help!

Ian
Ian
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:39 am

Ian wrote:A re-install of Palm desktop did it.
Thanks for all the help!
My pleasure Ian.
Good to hear it's all you had to do. :wink:
Eric

Palm Sync 2 years and NOTHING

Postby Greg Sparkman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:08 pm

Well, well, here it is two years later and still no palm sync with Barca2. Ya might just say so on your web site, Eric from Belgium.
Looks, like it syncs, acts like it syncs, but the data in the palm doesn't make it into Barca2.
Now I read in 2007 posts from you, Eric, that Barca2 won't sync with palm.

Tell me I am wrong, please. Tell me that it is all a big mistake and I have over reacted, and that I really can use the Barca2 "beta" palm sync on some computer platform somewhere.

Eric, before you start on the indeeds, and the "that's why it is called beta" you spouted two years ago, please just calm down and explain to me why you think it is just fine to tell your prospective customers to F--- O--?

DO YOU ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH MONEY? If so, why are you still pretending that you will some day have a working method of syncing a palm with Barca2?
Greg Sparkman
New Arrival

Re: Palm Sync 2 years and NOTHING

Postby Tomas » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:40 am

Greg Sparkman wrote: Ya might just say so on your web site, Eric from Belgium.

It's not Eric's website. Eric is a volunteer here, just like everybody else who takes time to answer questions, except those that are clearly indicated as PocoSystems Inc. under their user name.
(These forums are mostly user-to-user.)

Tell me I am wrong, please. Tell me that it is all a big mistake and I have over reacted, and that I really can use the Barca2 "beta" palm sync on some computer platform somewhere.

From what I know some for some people it works and for some it doesn't. I'm not sure though about Palm gadgets and Barca versions they use (ie. which work and which don't).

Eric, before you start on the indeeds, and the "that's why it is called beta" you spouted two years ago, please just calm down and explain to me why you think it is just fine to tell your prospective customers to F--- O--?

Maybe the stem of why you are getting emotional about the issue might come from the fact that Eric is not English native (same for me), so some words he uses might in the end mean something different to him and to you (and thus they can raise red flag for some people, while I'm sure Eric only meant to use them in a positive way, as he is one of the nicest people I have seen on the forums around the internet.

Your indeed's and our indeeds are not necessarily same in meaning, just a bad vocabulary usage I guess ;)

From what I know, development of Palm sync was frozen. The free beta version was made available for download, so that those for whom it works, can utilize it. It's a nice gesture, not a fault. Fault is perhaps it could be told more bluntly about the status of development, and that it doesn't work on some machines, right on the website (there probably is something to that extend in readme, perhaps).

I have slightly touched the Palm development world, and from what I know, LOT of developers complained about Palm strategy (or the absence of strategy). They created life difficult for developers. With every new device, having to support more and more irregularities, became difficult, hand in hand with Palm loosing the ground in sales and having no clear long-term strategy.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: Palm Sync 2 years and NOTHING

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:44 am

Greg Sparkman wrote:Now I read in 2007 posts from you, Eric, that Barca2 won't sync with palm.
Yes, it won't sync and Palm sync has been put aside for now. Not my decision, but PSI's.
It's not easy to create a sync with the recent changes at PalmOne. :?
Well, I performed a sync once with the alpha, although not with the beta.
You can't use the sync in its present state. :?
For now it's been put aside. :(
please just calm down and explain to me why you think it is just fine to tell your prospective customers to F--- O--?
I'm always calm, so no need to tell me that. It's not me who's making those decisions and with the Palm sync adventure I do agree with PSI that it's not possible to follow the decisions of PalmOne. They change too much to all those devices and further more they don't release API's to their developers. :evil:
If so, why are you still pretending that you will some day have a working method of syncing a palm with Barca2?
Let me explain it first, I'm a moderator doing a voluntary job to help people on this board. I'm in no way an employee from PSI, so I don't have an insight in their decisions or what they're planning.

I'm not making any money and PSI certainly lost some money on this Palm sync beta.

Hope you understand. ;)
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To