[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Email text missing from imported Barca 1/Eudora MBX files

Email text missing from imported Barca 1/Eudora MBX files

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby DLung05 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:05 am

I've upgraded to Barca 2 from Barca 1 and have noticed a disturbing problem that may force me to switch back to Barca 1.

After upgrading and importing Barca 1 data into Barca 2, I noticed that about 1 in 5 of my older email messages from Barca 1 that had been originally imported from Eudora had no text. The headers were present, but the text didn't show.

Since I still had the Eudora MBX files, I figured this was no problem. Reimport them from Eudora. Unfortunately, same problem, missing text.

Deleting the IDX/IDB files to force reindexing doesn't help. What is wierd is that the text is in the MBX file -- I can see it with a text editor -- and if I do a search on text in the body of the message Barca displays the message in the search results, without displaying the body text it found!!

I've noticed some of the message bodies missing are HTML formatted, but turning on or off HTML display has no effect - the text doesn't display.

Since this worked in Barca 1, reindexing doesn't help and the search function finds body text but doesn't display it, I've got to assume something in the message display code broke in Barca 2.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?
...Doug
DLung05
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:31 am

Hi Doug & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
DLung05 wrote:I've upgraded to Barca 2 from Barca 1 and have noticed a disturbing problem that may force me to switch back to Barca 1.

After upgrading and importing Barca 1 data into Barca 2, I noticed that about 1 in 5 of my older email messages from Barca 1 that had been originally imported from Eudora had no text. The headers were present, but the text didn't show.
Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?
:idea: Have you tried compressing your folders?

Another thought would be to Hide All Headers.
Already encountered that problem during the beta, but it doesn't happen on all HTML messages.

Hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby DLung05 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:50 am

Thanks for the reply Eric. I sent a more detailed response in an email to PocoSystems support after posting this but haven't received a reply from them.

Compressing the folder did seem to return some messages on the first try, but only a small percentage. After a few re-imports I didn't see any improvement.

I did some more investigation of the problem and got some interesting results - the body text is still in the MBX file (visible with a text editor) and, believe it or not, I can search on the body text and Barca will return the message and display the headers for the message, but not the body text. I thought I tried viewing with headers off -- I know I went through all the other view options, but will try that again. So Barca knows the text is there and can search on it, but isn't displaying it, even though it displayed fine in my previous version of Barca!

The problem appears to be with messages that were formatted with HTML, which unfortunately are quite common these days. Plain text messages display fine. I noticed other posts with people having problems with Barca reading some HTML messages. Worst case, I'd rather have Barca display the raw HTML (which I could cut and paste into FireFox for display) rather than display nothing at all.

Thanks for your help. Knowing that the messages are still there was a comfort, but I'd still like to be able to see them without firing up EMACS to search/look at the MBX file.
...Doug
DLung05
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:03 am

DLung05 wrote:Thanks for the reply Eric. I sent a more detailed response in an email to PocoSystems support after posting this but haven't received a reply from them.
My pleasure giving you a helping hand. :wink:
Best give Support some time to respond to your message.
It must be extremely busy times for them.
Compressing the folder did seem to return some messages on the first try, but only a small percentage. After a few re-imports I didn't see any improvement.
Compressing did help, but not all messages returned?
Maybe you could close Barca and deleting the IDB file inside the Mail directory to see if that changes anything.
Doing so the index will be recreated on restart. :)
It's worth a shot.
The problem appears to be with messages that were formatted with HTML, which unfortunately are quite common these days. Plain text messages display fine. I noticed other posts with people having problems with Barca reading some HTML messages. Worst case, I'd rather have Barca display the raw HTML (which I could cut and paste into FireFox for display) rather than display nothing at all.
Maybe those HTML messages are malformed or use incorrect HTML which Barca can't handle.
:idea: I'm using a script to 'Display the Raw Message', so if you're interested, send me a PM.
Or you could use viewinbrowser.poc script, which loads the Raw Message into your browser.
:!: You'll need your license key to download this script.
Thanks for your help. Knowing that the messages are still there was a comfort, but I'd still like to be able to see them without firing up EMACS to search/look at the MBX file.
You're welcome.
Yes, good to hear those messages are still present, so you didn't loose anything. :)
Eric

Postby DLung05 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:58 pm

Thanks Eric -

I tried deleting the IDB file in the mail directory early in the process to recreate the index and it didn't have any effect. That isn't surprising as the program can find the text with a search, it just doesn't display it.

I'll try the script, but this seems to be a step backwards as the messages display fine in Eudora and also in Barca 1, just not Barca 2. While it would be ideal if all mail programs conformed to the "standard", there seems to be some dispute as to what the standard is, especially when companies like Microsoft go their own way.

Thanks again for your help. Been traveling so that's the reason for the late reply.
...Doug
DLung05
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:33 pm

DLung05 wrote:Thanks Eric -

I tried deleting the IDB file in the mail directory early in the process to recreate the index and it didn't have any effect. That isn't surprising as the program can find the text with a search, it just doesn't display it..
You're welcome. :wink:
Sorry to hear it didn't work out.
I'll try the script, but this seems to be a step backwards as the messages display fine in Eudora and also in Barca 1, just not Barca 2. While it would be ideal if all mail programs conformed to the "standard", there seems to be some dispute as to what the standard is, especially when companies like Microsoft go their own way. Thanks again for your help. Been traveling so that's the reason for the late reply.
No problem about the late reply.
Hope it will get resolved in the next update, so for now unfortunately the script is the only way to display these messages. :?
Also wish M$ would follow the standard which PSI is applying. :roll:
Eric

Postby Fahim » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 pm

DLung05 wrote:Thanks Eric -

I tried deleting the IDB file in the mail directory early in the process to recreate the index and it didn't have any effect. That isn't surprising as the program can find the text with a search, it just doesn't display it.

I believe I had the exact same problem but in my case, I discovered that each and every message where the text wouldn't display had an attachment! (This was of course with an old backup of Eudora 2.0 mailboxes. So the cases might be slightly different). Again the mail was in the Barca/Poco MBX file but would not display no matter what I tried. However, when I went through the original Eudora MBX file, removed the Attachment references and changed the type to text instead of MIME, it imported and displayed fine.

Since I was too lazy to edit each MBX file by hand, I then hit upon the idea of importing the Eudora mail first into Thunderbird and then importing the Thunderbird mail into Barca/Poco. Worked like a charm - at least for me :p
Fahim
New Arrival

Postby DLung05 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:18 am

Eric -

I finally had time over the Christmas holiday to try your Thunderbird solution. It worked perfectly. Imported my Eudora files into Thunderbird and from Thunderbird into Barca. Still some clean up to do with duplicate files, but at least I don't have to go back to Eudora to read old email messages!

Many thanks for your help!
...Doug
DLung05
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:28 am

DLung05 wrote:Many thanks for your help!
My pleasure helping you out Doug. :wink:
Hope you had a great holiday.

Good to hear Fahim's suggestion worked, as it sure will help others too.
Have fun with Barca now. 8)
Eric

no text in imported email

Postby bcollis » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:16 pm

Hi
I have the same problem after importing from Eudora and am wondering if you ever found an answer?
regards
B. Collis
B. Collis
bcollis
New Arrival

Re: no text in imported email

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:41 pm

Hi bcollis & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
bcollis wrote:I have the same problem after importing from Eudora and am wondering if you ever found an answer?
Have a look at Can't Import Eudora 6.2 Address Books.

See if that helps getting that data into Barca. ;)
Eric

Postby JohnA » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:34 am

I wanted to share my experience with this :-)

I was running Eudora and just switched to Barca Pro (a superior product I might add :D )

I had this same issue with the messages not displaying correctly. I downloaded Thunderbird which imported everything correctly from Eudora.

I then installed Barca Pro and imported from Thunderbird. The only thing that didn't map correctly was the Out box from Eudora to Thunderbird. My fix was to create a folder in Eudora and move everything out of Sent mail into it (I named it "oldsent"). This mapped correctly into Thunderbird.

When I imported into Barca Pro, I just moved the mail out "oldsent" and put it into my Sent folder.

A roundabout way perhaps, but it worked! Just wanted to share!

John

PS I have close to 20000 messages in my various folders.
JohnA
Drop-in Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To