[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - RSS + Usability

RSS + Usability

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

RSS + Usability

Postby patrickf22 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am

Yesterday, I spent some time evaluating Barca2 with the hope of switching to it fully in the near future. One feature that I really like in an email client is the inclusion of an integrated RSS reader.

A twist in Barca2 that isn't present in other applications is the ability to have "new" RSS entries show up in the Inbox. I find that to be a nice touch.

However, I have some other issues with the RSS reader; some of which may be misunderstandings on my part and some of which may be genuine usability issues with Barca2.

1) Importing RSS feeds en masse is tedious

For starters, there should be some way to import RSS feeds from other applications (*cough* Thunderbird *cough*). If you've accumulated any non-trivial amount of RSS feeds in another application and want to transfer them to Barca2, you'll find out that it is an unpleasant experience. With each set of Select/Copy/Paste required to manually transfer you long list of RSS feeds, you'll find your desire to use Barca2 decreasing :)

2. Each RSS feed is a separate account?!

I'm sure there is an argument that can be made for having each RSS feed be its own separate account. I know that there are some that will say, "I need this much granularity over every single RSS feed I have." Great. And you should have that granularity. But what about those of us that just want to have a bunch of feeds with the same properties: updated every two hours, new entries go into Inbox, etc? Yesterday, I had to cut and paste every feed into a new account and then go and modify the settings for each "RSS account" to do the exact same thing. I think that this is too much work. Why not allow an RSS account to hold multiple feeds in it? This way if I had, say, a set of feeds from work that I wanted to update every 5 minutes and, separately, a set of feeds that I wanted to update once a day I could, without having to set each account individuality.

3. Checking for new RSS entries behaves impolitely

Most RSS readers allow you to set an update interval for the feeds. Barca2 does this too, which is fine. (Actually, it is better then fine. I like when the new entries show up in my Inbox. Like I said, nice touch.) However, by default, every time you click on the sub-folder for the feed in the "Feeds and RSS folder" it (apparently) tries to update the feeds manually. Ouch. I'd hate to have a site with an RSS feed that was frequented by Barca2 users. I'm sure that you are going to tell me that there is a way to disable this, and that is fine, but I question the use of this behavior as the _default_. Polite RSS readers don't ping a website indiscriminantly.

4. Why not render HTML (from the site) for the entry

This issue is purely my bias from using Thunderbird for a long time. I like when the actual entry URL is rendered in the message pane, instead of just the text in the RSS feed. The text in the RSS feed doesn't include the comments and site style. I'm sure that there are good reasons that Barca2 doesn't do this (and I've noticed that other email clients don't do it as well), but I think that those of us from Thunderbird-land really appreciate this feature.

Regards,
Patrick
patrickf22
New Arrival

Return to Barca Help and How-To