[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Barca Questions...Bugs creeping in

Barca Questions...Bugs creeping in

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Barca Questions...Bugs creeping in

Postby chae » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:39 pm

Hi Yah,

Just downloaded the trial of Barca and love what I see, I'm a Eudora user for the last 4 years or so but felt it was getting dated and a bit buggy and used a lot of system resources on our machines.

Imported Eudora accounts into Barca...imported okay but how can I quickly mark/tag all the imported emails as being "read" I have several hundred folders each containg anything from half-a-dozen to hundreds of emails and I dread having to go through each folder and sub-folder, opening it then marking all as read. Is there no global way of doing this, I know with Eudora you just chose the folder, right clicked on it and all were marked as read.

Played about with renaming folders etc - now when I try to delete a mailbox it goes no problem but once the software starts up it appears again...did a search in both forums and there was a solution but have doubled checked that there is nothing in it and if there was I would delete it manually...but as there was nothing I can't see how to resolve the issue. I even tried renaming the empty folder then closing the software but no joy the same old empty folder appeared. Have tried even compacting mailboxes several times to see if that helped but it didn't.

Those are the two biggest issues I can come across up to now...plus I love the intergration of the Calendar, Tasks & Notes...sure beats Outlook hands down and would mean that I can get rid of several other pieces of software if we decide to purchase the program.

Also I just remembered...I can create numerous templates and have them in "Plain" (text) format but when I create signatures they only seem to be in HTML format, I know that the saving options for signatures says you can save as is or as "formatted" but the normal plain old text save doesn't allow you to specify a font size or type as does the templates. It's a bit of a pain seeing the plain text signature being a different font size on-screen compared with the rest of the email...(does that make sense?)

Again only other refinements would be skinable Barca but the current interface is easy on the eyes.

Nice software (big thumbs up)
chae
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:08 am

Hi Chae & welcome to Poco Forum. :)

chae wrote:Is there no global way of doing this, I know with Eudora you just chose the folder, right clicked on it and all were marked as read.
In Barca just use the same technique and choose "Mark all read"

Played about with renaming folders etc - now when I try to delete a mailbox it goes no problem but once the software starts up it appears again...did a search in both forums and there was a solution but have doubled checked that there is nothing in it and if there was I would delete it manually...but as there was nothing I can't see how to resolve the issue. I even tried renaming the empty folder then closing the software but no joy the same old empty folder appeared. Have tried even compacting mailboxes several times to see if that helped but it didn't.
You could try the following.
1. Close Barca
2. Go to Mail directory and locate this folder
3. Delete this folder and everything in it.
4. Restart Barca

Also I just remembered...I can create numerous templates and have them in "Plain" (text) format but when I create signatures they only seem to be in HTML format, I know that the saving options for signatures says you can save as is or as "formatted" but the normal plain old text save doesn't allow you to specify a font size or type as does the templates. It's a bit of a pain seeing the plain text signature being a different font size on-screen compared with the rest of the email...(does that make sense?)
When inside the Edit Signature window select the name of the signature you want to edit in the drop down box and then press the Open button to open the signature itself. A bit of caution: if you use formatting (specific font, colour, style, etc.) and click on Save with formatting, the signature will always look that way even if the rest of the message does not. These settings will override Signature Settings in Options > Default Body Format.

Again only other refinements would be skinable Barca but the current interface is easy on the eyes.
It has been asked before, so cross your thumbs to get it implemented within a new release.

Nice software (big thumbs up)
Indeed, I'm sure PSI appreciates it . :wink:
Eric

Postby chae » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:57 pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply :D

You could try the following.
1. Close Barca
2. Go to Mail directory and locate this folder
3. Delete this folder and everything in it.
4. Restart Barca

Had a look at that and it seems it could be down to either the importing or the way Barca creates the folders etc. The mailbox folder shows nothing in Barca yet when I look at the folder contents with my filemanager I see the following file...

foldername.~mbx

Checked all of the folders Barca couldn't or wouldn't let me delete and they all have the same thing foldername.~mbx plus some had a foldername.~idx file

I also seen in the program files>barca>mail folder lots & lots of these ~.mbx & ~idx files so what I'm going to do is delete them all and see if this makes a difference to the "mark all as read" problem.

I have clicked on the folders and sub-folders to "mark all as read" but I'm afraid it doesn't work, hence the reason for opening all individually and doing it.

Just thought would these ~.mbx & ~.idx files be a result of compressing folders???? and if it is then that means that might not be able to delete a folder from the Barca interface after compression. Waiting for 10,000 + ~ files to delete while typing this :roll:

Okay the deleting folder manually doesn't work...I've deleted several folders now with a filemanager then restarted Barca and the mailbox list still shows the folders that have been deleted...(sigh)

The mark all as read doesn't work either...it's a case of I have a mailbox with numerous sub-mailboxes under it. If I just highlight and click on the main mailbox and go "mark as read" it seems to do something but it doesn't mark all of the sub-folders as read. You have to go into each individual sub-folder and then highlight and click mark as read.

When inside the Edit Signature window select the name of the signature you want to edit in the drop down box and then press the Open button to open the signature itself. A bit of caution: if you use formatting (specific font, colour, style, etc.) and click on Save with formatting, the signature will always look that way even if the rest of the message does not. These settings will override Signature Settings in Options > Default Body Format.

With regards to signatures I've played with them a bit more and find the problem is not with the creating of a new message (without template) but when you actually reply to a message...my Default body and signature is set to Verdana 10 black, on the on-screen default font is set to Verdana 10 black yet when I reply to a message in palin format the signature isn't showing up as Verdana 10 it's looks something like Verdana but it's certainly a lot bigger than the specified 10 pixels.

Hope that makes sense ;)

Back again with an edit to this...

When I reply to any email the signature is not Verdana 10 as set in the Options it ends up being Verdana 12...quickly checked when I did the reply in style format...this showed the signature text as 12 pixels.
chae
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:56 am

Hi Chae,
chae wrote:Thanks for the reply
My pleasure. ;)
Okay the deleting folder manually doesn't work...I've deleted several folders now with a filemanager then restarted Barca and the mailbox list still shows the folders that have been deleted...(sigh)
I've taken a closer look and when you're in the Mail directory, also take a look if there isn't a file with the same name as the folder. Closing Barca and deleting all references should work. I mean *.mbx, *.idx, *.~mbx & *.~idx
I have clicked on the folders and sub-folders to "mark all as read" but I'm afraid it doesn't work, hence the reason for opening all individually and doing it.

Just thought would these ~.mbx & ~.idx files be a result of compressing folders???? and if it is then that means that might not be able to delete a folder from the Barca interface after compression. Waiting for 10,000 + ~ files to delete while typing this
If you delete these ~.mbx & ~.idx files, they will be recreated the next time you start Barca.
The mark all as read doesn't work either...it's a case of I have a mailbox with numerous sub-mailboxes under it. If I just highlight and click on the main mailbox and go "mark as read" it seems to do something but it doesn't mark all of the sub-folders as read. You have to go into each individual sub-folder and then highlight and click mark as read.
It's applied to subfolders, but you don't have to highlight them. Just rightclick on the subfolder and choose 'Mark All Read'.
It could be added to Bug Traction as an enhancement request for the folder, as soon as it's available.
:oops: I've been using Eudora now at work for over 6 years and I even didn't know that feature existed.
With regards to signatures I've played with them a bit more and find the problem is not with the creating of a new message (without template) but when you actually reply to a message...my Default body and signature is set to Verdana 10 black, on the on-screen default font is set to Verdana 10 black yet when I reply to a message in plain format the signature isn't showing up as Verdana 10 it's looks something like Verdana but it's certainly a lot bigger than the specified 10 pixels.
I'm not having that problem and I also use plain text. If you put the message into draft and you open it, does it still display a larger font.

If only viewing/composing the message, you could change the font by rightclicking in the preview pane and choosing Display Preferences | Change display font. Also take a look under Contents (F1) and lookup font. It gives more info about these options.
Hope that makes sense :wink:
I think it does. :D
Back again with an edit to this...
When I reply to any email the signature is not Verdana 10 as set in the Options it ends up being Verdana 12...quickly checked when I did the reply in style format...this showed the signature text as 12 pixels.
:roll: I tried it several times, couldn't reproduce this problem. My signature stayed in Verdana 10.
Have you set your signature also in Verdana or is it another font?

I'll play a bit more and see if I can find something to reproduce this. :wink:

Edit: Do you use the signature pane?
:idea: If nothing else works, maybe doing a clean install could solve it. Make sure to test it, before importing your previous install.
Eric

Postby chae » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:21 pm

Hi Yah,

I've taken a closer look and when you're in the Mail directory, also take a look if there isn't a file with the same name as the folder. Closing Barca and deleting all references should work. I mean *.mbx, *.idx, *.~mbx & *.~idx

What I did notice was that I deleted all the .mbx, idx & ~ files opened barca then deleted them again from the mailbox list, closed barca and then opened up again and they disappeared, so that's that issue solved.

It's applied to subfolders, but you don't have to highlight them. Just rightclick on the subfolder and choose 'Mark All Read'.
It could be added to Bug Traction as an enhancement request for the folder, as soon as it's available.

Och well I've just got to do sub-mailboxes individually I suppose...we can't have anything, though it would be nice to see this added into a patch fix or the next version - global marking on mailboxes with sub-mailboxes.

If only viewing/composing the message, you could change the font by rightclicking in the preview pane and choosing Display Preferences | Change display font. Also take a look under Contents (F1) and lookup font. It gives more info about these options.

Signature problem sorted now...when I reply to an email I have to do an ALT+L (Clear all formatting) and viola everything including the signature appears on-screen as Verdana, 10, Black.

Now doing that made me think why am I having to clear formatting then it clicked - Style Quoted Reply was still ticked and with this clicked it would have added HTML formatting into the reply message, which was screwing up the plain format chosen.

Another issue sorted - thanks ;)

Now what would be nice is when you print an email the print options would let you print any attached files automatically like Eudora did...I miss that !!!

Thanks again Eric
chae
Frequent Visitor

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:42 pm

chae wrote:I see the following file...

foldername.~mbx

Just thought would these ~.mbx & ~.idx files be a result of compressing folders?

Yes, these files are created during a compress, you can turn this off by unchecking the "Retain backup mailbox copy when compressing" checkbox on the "General Options" page of the "Program Options" form. I don't recommend doing this myself, this is just information for those wanting to do this.
Michael

Postby robin » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:01 pm

To add a little clarification - the .~idx and .~mbx files are backups of the actual mailbox files. You won't see them in Barca's list of folders. Only the .mbx file is recognised by Barca as a mailbox - it will have an accompanying .idx which is the index file. There may be also a .dat file which - as far as I can make out - contains layout and config information specific to the mailbox.

In default configuration, Barca keeps all mailboxes in the Mail subfolder (this can be checked in Tools -> Options -> Directories). The structure of the mail folder has a .mbx (and associated .idx / .dat) file for any mailboxes, and mail subfolders are represented by folders.

:idea: - in Explorer check the files that represent the mailboxes that you want to delete and make sure that they are not write-protected.

You don't have any type of disc utility running that might be checking the files on the fly while you are trying to delete them? If so then disable it for a while.

To address briefly the "marking all as read", click on any message in the index pane, press Control-A to select all messages, then press the ']' key.
robin

Return to Barca Help and How-To