[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - A very sad day for me

A very sad day for me

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Next release

Postby blong » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:12 pm

Any idea when the next formal release might be ?
blong
New Arrival

Re: Next release

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:26 pm

Hi blong & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
blong wrote:Any idea when the next formal release might be ?
Barca 1.1 is still in beta, but afterwards it will be available to everyone. So a little more patience. :wink:
Eric

Postby geekboy2000 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:08 am

robin wrote:I didn't say "registered users", I said those on the beta programme. To get onto the beta programme you need to contact PocoSystems - if they say you have to be registered then OK.

I believe they do indicate that access to the betas will be given to registered users. In the case of Barca, I know it's not a huge number. With PocoMail, yes, there are quite a lot of registered users, but how many actually beta test?

robin wrote:Huh? How can you possible know how big the user base is? And what better user base for beta testing than those who use it already?

There's somewhere in the forum that indicates how may users are registered. Not necessarily registered users of the app, but registered in the forum. I doubt you'd have more active beta testers than the number of registered forum users, and that's not a real high number. Granted, the existing user base knows the application as it is, but that's not what beta testing is about. Sure, getting feedback from existing users is important because they know the app, but often, people who are already users don't "think outside the box". Those who are first time users of a beta often suggest features and fixes that existing users have already accepted as being "the way it is". Any person using the app is capable of suggesting enhancements and reporting bugs. I think having (theoretically) 10,000 users looking at the app, beats the input of a select few by a long shot.

robin wrote:Well- put what those fixes / tweaks that you are looking for here, then you'll find out what is in it.

In both Barca and Pocomail:

Is the "stall" associated with retrieving messages from AOL's IMAP server fixed?
Is quoting/formatting of AOL client sent text fixed?

Both of those issues were sent by me, directly to Slaven, and he had indicated that he'd seen the issue.

robin wrote:Failing that, just be patient until the formal release comes out, then you can download the 45-day trial and really try it out.

Right, but by then, if those issues *still* aren't fixed, I still can't report them, and even if I could, they couldn't possibly get in to any version sooner than 3.3, and again then, I can't test them in the 3.3 beta. My point is that if I can see that the issues are fixed in the betas, I will register the app. Not the other way around. If I don't know they are fixed in a beta, and can't see it work for myself, I'm not going to register. Again, to re-state, the more eyes on the app the better it's got to be. Personally, I think this existing system is an attempt to get people to register for the "privledge" of getting access to betas. The logic is poor, IMO. Give more people access to the betas, and more people might register. Don't "sell" the betas.

Mark
geekboy2000
Resident Poster

Postby robin » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:42 am

I suggest that you contact Slaven or Jim directly and ask them. Only they can give you a definitive answer; and only they can grant you access to the beta forums in any case.
robin

Postby geekboy2000 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:36 am

Will do. Thanks very much.

Mark
geekboy2000
Resident Poster

Postby geekboy2000 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:31 pm

Sent Jim a PM several days ago, and though it appears he's posted here since, I've received no reply. Yeah, I *really* want to register now. If it's a strict policy that you need to register to gain access, he could at least tell me that. I referenced this thread in my PM. He could've taken the time to confirm that fixes for the issues I mentioned either are or aren't in 3.2 at this time. It's funny, I saw another thread in which someone asked about an upcoming feature, and they were told it was "classified" information. Amazing that a company like MS feels there's no problem telling us what's expected in Longhorn, but what's coming in Barca or Poco, or the ability to beta test it, is "classified" information.
geekboy2000
Resident Poster

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:03 am

The next formal release is scheduled for month end. A major determinant of that is the PDA sync function working to our satisfaction. It is currenly in alpha testing (this is by invite only and only the developers- i'm not priviledged either- are testing it at this point). For those wishing to purchase Barca, please do not let this delay your purchase.

Beta Access: We have posted several information on beta access all over this forum. At some point one has to stop answering the same question over and over again. Our beta post specifies that requests should be sent via email along with specific information. We will like to grant beta access to everyone who requested it, but this is not possible. We give preference to registered users for obvious reasons.
Jim

Postby geekboy2000 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:23 am

Thanks Jim. I'm going to register PocoMail 3.x now, with hopes of getting access to the betas ASAP. I'll send an e-mail as you indicate requesting access after I register. I have always had high hopes for PocoMail, and want to stay on top of it as it progresses.
geekboy2000
Resident Poster

Previous

Return to Barca Help and How-To