[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - A very sad day for me

A very sad day for me

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

A very sad day for me

Postby Patrick Sutton » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:43 am

:cry:

Well, today I had to remove Barca from my system. I really love this program and had very high hopes for it, but it continues to lose emails by the truckload. I have been in contact with Jim Dada, JF in support, and Slaven, and they have all tried very hard to help me hang on until the next release comes out which they say will have addressed this problem. Unfortunately, I cannot wait any longer. Twice now, Barca has "lost" 3 or 4 weeks worth of emails. They are there in the mailbox folders, but cannot be accessed. I can see the date ranges in the midst what appears to be really corrupted data. I have done the compression routines, re-installed Barca countless times (clean installs, different directory,etc) but nothing seems to help. To date, I have approx 4000 emails relating to my business that I cannot access (I receive 100 plus non-spam emails per day). I have checked my computer out thoroughly to see if there is anything there that could be causing it, but nothing turned up. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am going back to Outlook (yuk). As much as I HATE that program, it has never lost a single email in all the years (5+) that I used it.

Hopefully I will be able to return to Barca when the new version is released.

If anyone else has experienced these problems and has found a way to stop this from happening, PLEASE let me know. I am really sad to have to set Barca aside like this.
Patrick Sutton
Poco Tourist

Postby Alpha » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:03 am

If you cannot access the email, as you wrote, then suggesting that Barca "lost" the message is not accurate.

Barca 1.1 beta is out. You should install Barca 1.1 into a new folder. Backup your old data in Barca 1.0 (use File Backup), then restore it from the Barca 1.1 installation (Use File > Restore).
Alpha

Postby Patrick Sutton » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:12 am

Hello Alpha -

I am sorry if my description was inaccurate. I will try the 1.1 today - thanks for your help.

Patrick
Patrick Sutton
Poco Tourist

Postby davidg80 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:51 am

Alpha wrote:Barca 1.1 beta is out. You should install Barca 1.1 into a new folder. Backup your old data in Barca 1.0 (use File Backup), then restore it from the Barca 1.1 installation (Use File > Restore).

Where can the 1.1 beta be d/l from please?
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby Patrick Sutton » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:00 am

Hi David -

I am still looking for it also - please let em know if you find the link.

thanks-

Patrick
Patrick Sutton
Poco Tourist

Postby COD » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:10 am

I think it is only available to registered beta program members
COD
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:11 am

Hi Patrick, David,
Patrick Sutton wrote:I am still looking for it also - please let em know if you find the link.
Only beta-testers with access to the Barca beta section can download version 1.1.
See also this announcement. :wink:
Eric

Postby Patrick Sutton » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:15 am

Hi Eric -

okay - thanks for the info - looks like I'm back to outlook until 1.1 is out of beta testing.

Patrick
Patrick Sutton
Poco Tourist

Postby Les Armitage » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:53 pm

Patrick sounds like you are cheesed off.

Just to let you know I've used Pocomail for some years & now Barca since the launch. I have an archive mailbox with 26,000+ emails in it and currently 4000+ in the inbox together with 23 other email boxes. Pocomail/Barca handles upwards of 60 emails/day for me most of them handled automatically by scripts. Wonderful.
Les Armitage
Poco Tourist

Postby Patrick Sutton » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:10 am

Hi Les -

I am not cheesed off as much as I am truly sad. Barca is exactly what I had been looking for and I am one of the original users of the program way back before it was released. I am glad that you have not had the same problems that I have had, but I would venture to say that if I made several thousand of your emails inaccessible to you that you would not be so pleased either. I mean regardless of how much I like its featurers etc, if I can't access my downloaded and/or saved emails for whatever reason, then wouldn't you say that is a big problem? In respect to everyone at Poco, they have really tried hard to help and have been very supportive, but the problem still remains. My business relies on emails to succeed, and if I can't get them, then it directly affects my business and I have to make whatever changes necessary to ensure its success. I truly hope that the situation can be resolved, but until it can be I have no choice but to return to a program that does not have these problems for me.

Sincerely,

Patrick
Last edited by Patrick Sutton on Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Sutton
Poco Tourist

Postby davidg80 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:54 am

Eric wrote:Hi Patrick, David,
Only beta-testers with access to the Barca beta section can download version 1.1.

I thought that might be the case.

I have now un-installed Barca since it does not suit me in its present state, the calendar being the main issue. So I will wait until 1.1 comes out and see if that is any better.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Barca 1.1 beta

Postby karsart » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:24 am

Is Barca 1.1 available for download to everyone or just to beta-testers?

If it's available, does it install directly on top of 1.0 or must 1.0 be un-installed first? Also, what are the changes in 1.1?

Any info would be much appreciated!
Art
karsart
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:31 am

As the posts above said - the current beta of 1.1 is only available to those on the beta programme. When it is released out of beta then it will be available to anyone to download and will work with your 1.0 licence code.
robin

Postby geekboy2000 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:23 pm

IMO, it's absurd to limit beta releases to registered users, or whoever else might have been determined to have special qualifications. There can't possibly be a big enough user base among registered users to test thoroughly. And, for the life of me, I can't find any reason on earth why the author(s) wouldn't want as much feedback as possible from as many people as possible. There are fixes/tweaks I'm hoping make it into 3.2. But, there's no way I can help test those things now, unless I pay for the version that doesn't have them? Makes no sense. And this applies to both Barca and PocoMail.

Mark
geekboy2000
Resident Poster

Postby robin » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:23 pm

geekboy wrote:IMO, it's absurd to limit beta releases to registered users, or whoever else might have been determined to have special qualifications.
I didn't say "registered users", I said those on the beta programme. To get onto the beta programme you need to contact PocoSystems - if they say you have to be registered then OK.

There can't possibly be a big enough user base among registered users to test thoroughly.
Huh? How can you possible know how big the user base is? And what better user base for beta testing than those who use it already?

There are fixes/tweaks I'm hoping make it into 3.2. But, there's no way I can help test those things now, unless I pay for the version that doesn't have them? Makes no sense. And this applies to both Barca and PocoMail.
Well- put what those fixes / tweaks that you are looking for here, then you'll find out what is in it.

Failing that, just be patient until the formal release comes out, then you can download the 45-day trial and really try it out.
robin

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To