[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Barca and Japanese

Barca and Japanese

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Barca and Japanese

Postby Mishima » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:39 pm

Hello,

Since long I have been waiting for PocoMail to be able to handle double/byte fonts (Japanese).

I am trying out Barca in its currently available build, but even if everything inside the program is set to a Japanese font, there is no way to wite messages in this language. Besides this, when I try to write in Japanese a very small input window appears on the rithmost top and there I can see the characters while I type them, but not in the message body window. Only when I press the Enter key then everything is transferred to the message body window.

Anyone could please tell me whether Barca is actually supporting double byte fonts or a newer build should be patiently waited for.

Thank you

Mishima
Mishima
New Arrival

Postby robin » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:16 pm

Hi Mishima and welcome to the forums.

PocoMail and Barca cannot handle uni-code or double byte yet. It is a feature that has been requested for a while, but the re-write required for the core code is very big. PocoSystems are aware of the need and I am sure it is on their development path.

There are a couple of threads here and herethat might be of interest.
robin

Non-Unicode Barca

Postby Mishima » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:44 pm

robin wrote:Hi Mishima and welcome to the forums.

PocoMail and Barca cannot handle uni-code or double byte yet.

Thank you for your prompt answer. This is what I have been said since I got to know Pocomail two or three years ago: "not yet". What surprises me is that a brand new mailer such as Barca has not been written in Unicode from the outset; I can understand that rewriting existing software might be an extra-burden, but why not starting in the right direction with a newly developped software? Don't developpers realize what huge market they are losing?

Kind regards

Mishima

Edited by Robin: enabled BBCode so that the quote appears correctly.
Mishima
New Arrival

Re: Non-Unicode Barca

Postby robin » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:52 pm

Mishima wrote:What surprises me is that a brand new mailer such as Barca has not been written in Unicode from the outset; I can understand that rewriting existing software might be an extra-burden, but why not starting in the right direction with a newly developped software? Don't developpers realize what huge market they are losing?
There are many that would agree with you, however the mail part of Barca is only PocoMail with a wrapper - it has not been re-written from the ground up. The other side of the coin is that, when Poco is re-written to support UniCode, then the transfer of that technology into Barca will be very quick and easy.

Sorry I can't be more help.
robin

Return to Barca Help and How-To