[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Attachements Problem

Attachements Problem

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Attachements Problem

Postby wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:39 am

I am not in love with how barca handles attachemtns, too used to outlooks way I guess. That being said, I am getting used to it, but I don't understand something. When I go to this attachement folder, there iwll be the attachemnt there, with a file extension of .eml When I double click on that, I get a dialog box asking me for the location of Poco.exe ?? Am I misunderstanding something, or is this a bug or just what? I tried to put the path to barca.exe there but no good. I apprecate any help. Thanks.
wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:39 am

I wonder if you had Poco and have upgraded to Barca, but the old Poco information has been retained for .eml files.

The registry entries that you need to deal with this are:
Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.eml]
@="PocoMailMessage"
"Content Type"="message/rfc822"
to create the link between .eml and Poco (or Barca) and
Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMailMessage]
@="PocoMail E-mail Message"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMailMessage\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\PocoMail\\POCO.EXE,1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMailMessage\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMailMessage\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMailMessage\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\PocoMail\\POCO.EXE\" /eml \"%1\""

to tell Windows where Poco is. In your case, you can tell it where Barca is by changing the appropriate line, it shouldn't make any difference, but I wonder why this information didn't get written properly into the registry. Note that the path appears twice, once for the program and once for the default icon.

To use these, copy the code and paste it into two new files (actually, one would do), save it with a .reg filename, then right-click and merge. Usual disclaimer about back up the registry first applies.
robin

Postby wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:03 am

ok thank you. I will try that, looks a little scary but I have done some reg editing before. I believe I did try instlling pocomail but not sure. It would seem apparent anyway. Still seems barca should have written the correct info when it got installed. Well I appreciate it, will let you know how it goes.. Thanks.
wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:09 am

wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net wrote:ok thank you. I will try that, looks a little scary but I have done some reg editing before. I believe I did try instlling pocomail but not sure. It would seem apparent anyway. Still seems barca should have written the correct info when it got installed. Well I appreciate it, will let you know how it goes.. Thanks.
I wonder - I've got both Barca (for me) and Poco (for the rest of the family) installed - the code snippets are from this machine and clearly show that Barca did *not* update the registry. I wonder why not? I'll post an update to the Barca beta forum to report this.
robin

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:50 am

Just out of curiosity, does Barca have a "Make Default" button in its options like PocoMail does? If yes, then does that fix the .eml associations?
Pete

Postby wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:31 am

Aha, I found an easeir way. I tried first the suggestion about making barca defualt, it is in the options, but did not fix the problems. However Iremembered about file extensions in windows, how you can associate files with certian apps. So I went into that in windows options and found extension .eml, which was associated with poco. I told it to change, and pointd it to barca.exe and now its fine! Cool. Thanks for getting my wheels turning in the right direction. It appears to have fixed it now.
wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net
Poco Tourist

Postby tallcangal » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:34 am

Barca does have the same option as PM to make default. I had the same problem too with it opening PM at first.

It's in the same area as PM...Tools-->Options--General Options and make default. I didn't have to do a manual regedit as this worked.

Try setting as default one or two times instead of doing a manual regedit. It should work.
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:30 am

wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net wrote:However I remembered about file extensions in windows, how you can associate files with certian apps.

That's true, but I wonder if that method would keep the /eml switch that (I assume) PocoMail expects. If so, then great!

tallcangal wrote:Barca does have the same option as PM to make default.

Thanks for this info. Did you happen to test this by (double) clicking an EML file in Windows Explorer to see if it starts Barca instead of PocoMail?
Pete

Postby wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:28 am

well for me thats not relevant as I do not use pocomail. I think I installed it before I discovered barca and all the added features. So hopefully it should all be fine for me. those who use both its probahbly a different story.
wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net
Poco Tourist

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:14 am

Actually, I would think that Barca also expects the /eml switch for EML files, so I think it is relevant. :)

It sounds like it's working okay for you though, wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net, so that's good news.
Pete

Postby tallcangal » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:47 am

Pete,

Yes, I did test it in windows explorer and it did open up barca for me. It's good to see the other solution worked as well by manually associating the files.
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:22 am

wwsadmin@wwsadmin.net wrote:So I went into that in windows options and found extension .eml, which was associated with poco. I told it to change, and pointd it to barca.exe and now its fine! Cool. Thanks for getting my wheels turning in the right direction. It appears to have fixed it now.
That's basically what the .reg file code that I posted did. Wasn't sure how much of that information you had in the registry already.
robin

Return to Barca Help and How-To