[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Barca: Vista

Barca: Vista

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Barca: Vista

Postby saoir » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:12 am

Why does Barca recommend that we not use the application folder for data installation ?

Saoir
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:58 am

Hi Saoir,

That's because Vista doesn't allow changes to be made in Program Files.
So in order to avoid trouble you need to install your data elsewhere. :)

See also Barca and Vista and the dreaded mailto link.

and
Slaven wrote:I am eager to hear from as many Vista users as possible, to see what configurations are working for you. Right now, there is a Vista check that happens when the application starts to offer assistance in migrating files over to Vista-compatible directories if two things are satisfied:

a) The application is running under Vista, and NOT in a XP-compatibility mode, and
b) One of the data directories being used resides within Program directory

If both of these are true then a dialog box will offer to migrate files, as well as a manual link in Options > Directories will let users migrate files over.
Hope that helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby saoir » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:22 pm

Thanks Eric.

I went ahead ... :) ... and installed Barca in the application folder anyway to see what happened and it installed ok.
Then Barca offered to import from Outlook and I said yes. It then took 73 minutes to import the Outlook mail and didn't import any attachments.
However it has refused to launch since then.

So I guess I now have to uninstall and try again the recommended way.

I like the application folder as it makes backups much easier :(

Saoir
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:37 pm

saoir wrote:Thanks Eric.
My pleasure Saoir. :wink:
I like the application folder as it makes backups much easier :(
Unless you disable the UAC, you won't be able to use Program Files for storing your data.

That's the restriction of Vista with UAC enabled. :?
Eric

Postby saoir » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:15 am

Yet another reason why I personally don't plan to move to Vista for as long as possible. :roll:

Saoir
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:44 am

saoir wrote:Yet another reason why I personally don't plan to move to Vista for as long as possible. :roll:
It's not so bad at all. I've been using it since some time and I like it, although some drivers and software still will not work on Vista.

If you don't like the UAC, disable it, but at the same time some protection will be lost. :?
Eric

Postby lumpy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:29 pm

I have vista with Barca (and Pocomail until now when I upgraded to Barca).

I have that awful UAC off.
When I first got Vista I tried Pocomail in my F: partition where I install utilities programs but it wouldn't work.

I installed Pocomail and now Barca in Program Files and the data & emails etc. in Roaming.

No problems, except I wish I had upgraded to Barca some time ago.
Best Regards
Lumpy
lumpy
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:25 am

lumpy wrote:I installed Pocomail and now Barca in Program Files and the data & emails etc. in Roaming.
Yes, that's where your data get stored, instead of Program Files.
However on mine, data is stored on my other partition. :)
No problems, except I wish I had upgraded to Barca some time ago.
Good to hear it meets your needs. 8)
Have fun with it. :wink:
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To