[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Sent email failures

Sent email failures

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Sent email failures

Postby flynt06 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:08 am

Hi,
I have one customer that is reporting that emails that I send don't always get through. I have asked my ISP to see what happened to the emails but so far that's not seen a result.

Is it possible that I only 'think' I sent the messages? They are in my out box but then so are others that I know failed. Those failed emails take me back to the screen where I was writing the email but as far as I know there is no clear explanation as to why the email failed. In any case, how can I ever be sure where an email went? I know you can look at the log but only if you are reasonably quick. I can't for eample look at the log to see the event a week ago.

Help!
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby flynt06 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 am

I sould add that when the intended recipient tells me thay have not redcieved the mail, if I resend it then they usually do. There is sometimes quite a delay though, a few hours even.
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:00 am

Messages in your Out box are waiting to be sent, they have not been sent, messages in your Sent box have been sent.

If you want to send a message immediately after you have finished composing it use the "Message | Send Message" command, to put it in the Out box for delayed sending use the "Message | Queue Message" command. (Both the above commands are available from the compose window)

To send the messages in your Out box use the "File | Send Queued Messages" command from the mail Barca (or Poco) menu.

Barca will also send the messages from the Out box if you have the "Send queued messages when checking mail" option selected. This is in the "Sending Mail" section of the program options.
Michael

Postby flynt06 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:12 am

Thanks. I made a mistake in my description. The mail is in my Sent folder. I actually never use the out box or delay sending.

F
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby flynt06 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:40 pm

I'm not saying that the emails I say are lost were in fact not sent but the following question arises:

If I send an email but it fails to go because for example the internet connection was disconnected at that moment, I am returned to the email edit (or create) screen. However, the email is still listed in my sent folder as being sent. Barca obviously realises the failure to send so why does it not delete that entry? Why does it not also make a clear warning that the message had failed to go?
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:53 am

flynt06 wrote:If I send an email but it fails to go because for example the internet connection was disconnected at that moment, I am returned to the email edit (or create) screen.
Correct, you're returned to the compose window. :)
However, the email is still listed in my sent folder as being sent.
Haven't experienced it here.
I just disconnected from the internet and pressed Send. I'm returned to that compose window, however no email is present in my Sent folder.
If you select to close the window, you get an pop-up. Pressing twice closes that window. No message to be found in the Sent folder. :P
Barca obviously realises the failure to send so why does it not delete that entry? Why does it not also make a clear warning that the message had failed to go?
You get a warning by being returned to your compose window.
I tried to reproduce it here, but didn't succeed.
Not sure, why there's a message present in your Sent folder. :?
Perhaps it's one which did go out :?:

Are you using the latest Barca version?
Eric

Postby flynt06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:25 am

Hi Eric,

What I said about failed messages still being in my sent folder is how it's always been, ever since I started using Barca 2 ayear or two ago. I always thought it was irritating but one of those things.

Following your statement I just sent myself an email to another of my email addresses. I then sent another - but after I turned off my router. Sure enough, I was returned to the message compose window. BUT...the failed message is definitely in my sent folder after the first message as if the second send was successful. But of course it wasn't.

My version of Barca 2 is : 2.5.0.3900

By the way, what is the purpose of the 'Recieved' column in the 'Sent' Folder. It only ever shows the same time as the sent time, but then what could it say?
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:49 am

Hi flynt06,
flynt06 wrote:Following your statement I just sent myself an email to another of my email addresses. I then sent another - but after I turned off my router. Sure enough, I was returned to the message compose window. BUT...the failed message is definitely in my sent folder after the first message as if the second send was successful. But of course it wasn't.

My version of Barca 2 is : 2.5.0.3900
Duh? It doesn't appear in my Sent folder, when there's no internet.
Only thing I can do, is put it in Draft, Queue or close.

:idea: Try to reset your barca.ini file to see if that makes a difference.
Close Barca first and rename barca.ini to barca_old.ini
Restart Barca.

All Options will be lost when restarting.

If that doesn't help, reinstall Barca into another directory and prior to importing your settings (exclude Program preferences and settings), you could run a test to know if it still shows the same behaviour.
By the way, what is the purpose of the 'Recieved' column in the 'Sent' Folder. It only ever shows the same time as the sent time, but then what could it say?
There's no purpose to use the Received column inside the Sent folder.
Right-click on it and choose Properties > Columns and uncheck Recieved.
Only the Sent column is shown here. :D
Eric

Postby flynt06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:06 am

Renamed the .ini file. I see what you mean about options being lost. My signatures are still there but now with the wrong email accounts!!

There is a difference: when I send a message with the router turned off I now get a message popup stating that the message has been saved to draft. Never seen that before. However, the message still got added to my sent folder. Bummer!

I guess the next thing is to reinstall Barca to another location as suggested. Do I uninstall it first? Will I have a problem with registration? How do I import my settings?

Help is appreciated :lol:
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:18 am

flynt06 wrote:Renamed the .ini file. I see what you mean about options being lost. My signatures are still there but now with the wrong email accounts!!
You won't lose your email accounts, only your settings in Options, so you'll return to default, like the first time you installed it.
Why are there wrong email accounts?
There is a difference: when I send a message with the router turned off I now get a message popup stating that the message has been saved to draft. Never seen that before. However, the message still got added to my sent folder. Bummer!
Got a router here too, so I'll have to try that to see if I can reproduce.
I guess the next thing is to reinstall Barca to another location as suggested. Do I uninstall it first?
Yes, but don't uninstall your current installation.
Just install into another directory and don't import anything yet.
Will I have a problem with registration?
No :D
How do I import my settings?
First thing first.
When it works the way it should work, you can perform an Install from another installation. Just go to File > Import > Data from another install. Also make sure not to import your Program Preferences and Settings.

Let me know if that changes anything, I'll do that little test later on. :wink:
Eric

Router disabled

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:29 am

Did the test, but still the same behaviour as when my internet connection was stopped. :?
Eric

Postby flynt06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:30 am

Eric wrote:Why are there wrong email accounts?
On closer inspection it's just that the signatures have gone except one which is now appended to another email account. Confused yet? I am!!

~ Changed " to quote tags ... Eric ~
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:32 am

flynt06 wrote:On closer inspection it's just that the signatures have gone except one which is now appended to another email account. Confused yet? I am!!
Something tells me it got corrupted. :?
Eric

Postby flynt06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:57 am

Eric wrote:Something tells me it got corrupted
I agree! I will try reinstalling tomorrow.
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby flynt06 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:04 am

Hi Eric,
I tried reinstalling and only importing account setup data. Sending test messages with the router turned off did cause the compose window to return when the sending failed and at the same time the message went to the draft folder and was NOT listed in sent mail. So far so good.

I then imported everything else exept the first tick box for settings, scripts and templates (I dont think I ever used those). Having tested again I am now back where I was - failed messages appearing in the sent folder even though my router is still off.

As a result of testing I now have three installs of Bara in different folders. I'd like to clean things up and start again so can I do a windows software delete from the control panel? Will that delete all three installs do you know?

Important thing being will I lose any data? To be sure what should I back up first?

If I do a complete uninstall will I have a licence issue when I then reinstall?

Thanks for all your help. This is driving me mad!!
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To